Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bose Speaker Disconnected Somewhere - Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017 | 01:59 PM
SAN997
Instructor

Exclamation Bose Speaker Disconnected Somewhere - Help

So I took the plunge and purchased a new aftermarket head unit and the JL Audio 6 channel sub. I replaced the Bose amp using a custom made mounting bracket and the Bose amp wiring harness from eBay.

As far as my wiring job is concerned, everything went perfectly. However, when doing an audio check, I noticed that the front left (drive's side) high-range speakers are not connected. I checked the actual wiring on the "car side" of the Bose amp wiring harness, and they are indeed not connected (infinity Ohms on multimeter). The right side high-range channel on the harness reads 2 Ohms, as expected.

This means that somewhere in the car, the drive's side high-range speakers are actually disconnected! I bet some a-hole mechanic forgot to reconnect a harness when he was re-assembling the car.

The good news is, this partially explains why the stock Bose system sounds so bad

Question: where inside the car should I check to see if a harness is disconnected?

Does anybody have any experience with the wiring layout of the Bose system, in order to give me some pointers on where to check inside the car?

I attached a PDF of the Bose wiring diagram for the 997, for inquiring minds.
[ATTACH]Bose Wiring Diagram[/ATTACH]
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
997_speaker_wiring_bose.pdf (156.9 KB, 99 views)
Old 02-19-2017 | 02:59 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

youre assuming the speaker is good. dont.
take out the speaker and check it (its ok or open)
after that
go to the car side plug and attach your meter, go to the speaker and make a short and see if it shorts the meter, then wires are okor open
Old 02-19-2017 | 03:53 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

The door mid range and the dash tweeters are wired in parallel. First check if you have sound on the mid-range on the door. This verifies the cabling from the amp pins A24/A29 all the way to the door.

Next move on to diagnosing the tweeter in parallel to the door midrange. Pry up the center speaker trim (first picture), then the defroster cover (second picture). The tweeter is accessible from above (third picture). On the left/driver's side you can sometime see the connector by removing the side dash trim (fully open the door first). It might be similar on the passenger's side, I just don't remember.

Old 02-19-2017 | 05:22 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

now there's really no highs and no lows
Old 02-19-2017 | 05:57 PM
jeff0093
Advanced

"now there's really no highs and no lows"

haha I see what you did there.
Old 02-20-2017 | 08:18 AM
SAN997
Instructor

It was probably not hooked up in the door since I do get sound from the dash tweeter. I had Porsche replace the door bass speaker 3 or 4 years ago, so they must have neglected to hook the midrange driver up!

Anyway, the tweeter has infinite DC resistance due to the high pass crossover filter, which explains why my meter reads Inf even though the tweeter is hooked up.
Old 02-20-2017 | 04:53 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

Originally Posted by jeff0093
"now there's really no highs and no lows"

haha I see what you did there.
Thank you for acknowledging.

Originally Posted by SAN997
It was probably not hooked up in the door since I do get sound from the dash tweeter. I had Porsche replace the door bass speaker 3 or 4 years ago, so they must have neglected to hook the midrange driver up!

Anyway, the tweeter has infinite DC resistance due to the high pass crossover filter, which explains why my meter reads Inf even though the tweeter is hooked up.
I agree with your assessment. The mid is wired on the same circuit as the tweeter, only the tweeter has a series capacitor. So if one side reads 2 ohms, and the other reads infinite, and the tweet is working, then the disconnect is somewhere between the midrange and the branch from the common line. Why not just pop open your door panel and confirm?
Old 02-20-2017 | 11:45 PM
SAN997
Instructor

Well, I cracked open the door panel trim, and guess what!

The Porsche dealer mechanic forgot to connect the mid range harness after he replaced the bass speaker about 4 years ago!

Quick Reply: Bose Speaker Disconnected Somewhere - Help