Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at a 997.1 with a 100,000 miles should I?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 11:16 AM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Looking at a 997.1 with a 100,000 miles should I?

Hi All

Not new to Rennlist but new to this forum. I am looking at a 2006 997 cab with 100,000 miles. From my research this car would have the larger not serviceable IMS (production month was 10/2005). Looks to be fairly well serviced, and is loaded up with options like full supple leather, nav, and a bunch of exclusive options and has 0 accident history or evidence of any paint work.

It has been mentioned that actually driving these cars is better for them then letting them sit. This one has seen about 10,000 miles a year, and other then a few stone chips on the front bumper it doesn't have much noticeable wear. Unless the seller shows me extensive service records I think a PPI would be in order.

I am in Canada, I know many here are from the US, with the exchange on the money this car is around $26k USD. Compared to cars I see in the US it seems like a fair deal.

Thoughts?
Old 02-18-2017, 11:24 AM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,450 Likes on 956 Posts

Two schools of thought. drive it tell something breaks or is obvious it needs replacing. Others will preventatively start replacing water plumps, belts, fluids, suspension bits.....

2006 cars cant update ims so youre out a motor when if goes. this makes an 2006 roller a 5k car. if you can live with remote possibility buy it, change the oil (after good PPI) and drive it.

Lots of opinion one this subject.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:21 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Yes I definitely would have to be ready for the fact that if the motor pops I am out 15k immediately. How prevalent is bore scoring on the 3.6? I read the sticky thread and looked like from there the 3.8s engine was more susceptible? Would bore scoping be a must on a ppi?
Old 02-18-2017, 02:37 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer
Yes I definitely would have to be ready for the fact that if the motor pops I am out 15k immediately. How prevalent is bore scoring on the 3.6? I read the sticky thread and looked like from there the 3.8s engine was more susceptible? Would bore scoping be a must on a ppi?
The engine has 100K miles. If bore scoring was going to happen I think it would have happened by now.

That the car is still on the road and I assume in good shape and the engine passes a thorough used car road test this strongly suggests the car and engine has been well taken care of.

(My 2002 Boxster has 308K miles on it and still runs just fine. It has been well taken care of.)

If you end up owning the car in Canada you want to be sure you use 0w-40 oil at least in the winter. Porsche oil guidelines call for 0w-40 in temperatures -25C and colder.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:29 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I think I agree with Macster if it hasn't suffered bore scoring by 100K it could be in the clear on that issue. Mine had visible scoring only on the piston skirts at just over 60K, would imagine by 100K it would have gotten a lot worse. Definitely I would get a PPI w/borescoping, not rely on a visual inspection of the tailpipes as someone could potentially clean those up prior to sale.

I also think USD$26K sounds like strong money for an '06 base C2 with 100K on it though.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:29 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

PPI for sure! I would even do a compression and bore scope for the piece of mind.

Does it have records for service for its life? Recent records?

If no extensive records order I would prob walk unless ppi is sparkling. Not sure of your finances but this is a 26k car with 100k car upkeep. Repairs are expensive, even if done in your garage. If you are buying this because it gets you into a Porsche cheap as you cant afford a 35-40k version of this car I would definitely research the cost of tires, brakes, plugs/coils, water pump. More important if you aren't one to wrench on your own car.

Not trying to be a downer just a realist.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:01 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Still waiting on an answer on the service records. I have owned multiple Porsche's and I turn my own wrenches (owned two 928's so what does that tell ya!). I also had a 1999 996 coupe a few years ago and it was a pretty good car overall. Right now I am looking at 996's and 997's. The 996's are a bit cheaper, but in IMO the 997 just looks so much better. I also feel that maintenance and how the car was treated has a huge bearing on how degradative the miles have been. I drove a 2002 996 with only 50,000 miles and it drove awful, and showed considerable interior wear. I have yet to drive this 997, but visually it is better for sure.

Looking at another one tonight, private sale, and asking a few grand more, a 2005 997 with 70,000 miles, service history and new clutch and ims last year (it has the older style ims). Problem with that one is the owner said the one rear fender had been replaced and painted by the PO. He said he has had all his service work done by the dealer and he had them inspect the repair, which they said all was good. Will have to verify that, and see if the repair is on the history report.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:24 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Some people feel that if a car has had some paint work it is taboo or something. I see it the opposite way.

No need to worry about pristine original paint or obsess over a parking lot scrape. It's liberating.

If the car passes the PPI (for the most part), I'd buy it and drive the **** out of it. If there are no records I'd probably do the water pump and maybe the reservoir and go. The low mileage freaks won't look at it anymore so do everything you can to take it to 150K or 200k miles.

Have fun!
Old 02-18-2017, 06:40 PM
jeffm
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts

I would have no issues with a quality paint repair as it's not like these are collectors cars.
My 2005 had an accident repair back in 2007. Fast forward 10 years and it's still impossible to tell. Sure, maybe you could find it with a paint gauge, but I couldn't even tell when it was on the lift....no over spray, poor masking, etc...

I picked my car up 9 months ago with 38,000 miles as a trade in at a Ford dealership. I paid at least $6k less than any other similar car on Autotrader.

Good luck!
Old 02-18-2017, 09:58 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

I agree, if the repair is not detectable and damage wasn't structural its not really an issue, just hurts resale.

Went to look at the lower mile 2005. Pretty clean with the exception of the front bumper needing a respray. There was a few spots missing paint that were the size of my thumbnail. The front fenders and hood 3M clear on it (too bad they didn't do the bumper!). The paintwork on the rear quarter was obviously done by someone who knew what they were doing as it was totally undetectable. The owner said the damage repair on Carproof was $7000.

Car ran good otherwise and sounded great. Will be checking out the higher mile 2006 in the next couple of days to see how it compares. Its cheaper and optioned better, but condition trumps everything!
Old 02-18-2017, 11:04 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree about the respray, provided the ppi doesn't turn up any signs of frame damage or shoddy work. I had the door resprayednon mine right after I got it because the lawn crew at my office scratched it with a hedge trimmer, and the roof needs a respray because 12 years of sun has taken its toll on the clearcoat. Stuff happens. I don't feel like driving it looking shabby just so I can say to the next owner it's never been painted

The Carfax on my one-owner '08 Vette showed an accident in 2011, and I figure if he held onto it and I can't tell where it was repaired after 6 years, it's nothing I need to be worried about. OTOH I looked at a 991 where the Carfax listed a front side impact and the airbags had deployed...that one I felt inclined to take a pass on.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:36 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Well I ended up giving a guy a deposit on a 2002 996 cabriolet today with 75000 miles, the price difference was so huge compared to a 997 I couldn't say no. I just have to do the ims bearing on it as it has no history of being done. Interior and top was mint just a few blemishes in the paint that can be easily detailed out.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Looking at a 997.1 with a 100,000 miles should I?