Sponsored by:

Regret lowering?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 08:15 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 2011-sy-carreras
Fyi - If you're considering Techart, based on my shopping around and using a local Porsche independent. The springs are around $700. Labor and the cost for a new alignment was about another $750. No regrets paying a bit more for techart.
I disagree. Eibach makes the springs for Techart and as far I've been able to find out, they are the same. Only difference is the price: $700+ for Techart, $350-380 for the Eibachs.

For reference, I paid $800 for the installation including alignment at Champion Motorsports in Florida in October 2015.

Last edited by ATSR; 02-17-2017 at 09:27 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:17 PM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Redhot2474
Anyone regret lowering? I have a 997.2c4s with 7mm and 15mm spacers but getting tired of wheel gap...I keep going back and forth on lowering because I don't want to watch every little lip in road - Just got a price for lowering at local shop, thought it was a decent - springs installed for $486, alignment , $95, nitrogen tire fill $26....think of going with techart....but still reading about posts about techart vs. eibach etc...I know there's tons of info and still currently researching but just wondering if someone wishes they kept stock...thx
I have a C4S cab, same spacers as you, lowered on Techarts. I only regret waiting months and not doing all that within days of buying the car.

Fyi - If you're considering Techart, based on my shopping around and using a local Porsche independent. The springs are around $700. Labor and the cost for a new alignment was about another $750. No regrets paying a bit more for techart.
That's about right.

Originally Posted by vern1
Can you let me know what the difference is between the Eibachs and Techarts that warrant a higher price? No one has been able to explain this so I am curious
I don't think, frankly, there will ever be a reliable, objective, empirically reproducible answer to this. At the end of the day, in my case, the pricing I worked out ended up with only a delta for something like $150 between the two, so I went Techart on the "off chance" there is something better about them, but who knows...
Old 02-17-2017, 08:22 PM
Surfer2001
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ATSR
Installing the Eibach springs on my car is probably the best mod I've done. It rides much better, it turns better, and it looks better.

My car had the SUV height suspension so for me it was a no brainer.

Here's a couple of pics for comparison. I don't have to tell you which one is before and which one's after:
Your ride looks awesome!
Old 02-17-2017, 08:23 PM
Redhot2474
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Jsala pic?

Originally Posted by Surfer2001
Your ride looks awesome!
Jsala pic?
Old 02-17-2017, 08:40 PM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Redhot2474
Jsala pic?
These are this past summer/fall with the summer wheels and hard top on. Right now I have winter wheels (18") and took off the hard top --don't have a pic handy...

Old 02-17-2017, 08:49 PM
2011-sy-carreras
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
Can you let me know what the difference is between the Eibachs and Techarts that warrant a higher price? No one has been able to explain this so I am curious
Not an expert on the topic, but after speaking to sharkwerks and a few others independents locally that work on our cars. They basically say Techart are spec'd out a bit different and tend to not sag over time. For the difference in cost, It was not worth learning the hard way. Just me and not enough knowledge on the topic to think differently. Relying on folks who work on our cars all the time. By the way, Forgot in my labor quoted in the above. I separately purchased H&R sway bars for the front and rear and we're also installed at that price. Like the feel of the set up overall and a noticable improvement.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:01 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Not an expert on the topic, but after speaking to sharkwerks and a few others independents locally that work on our cars. They basically say Techart are spec'd out a bit different and tend to not sag over time. For the difference in cost, It was not worth learning the hard way. Just me and not enough knowledge on the topic to think differently. Relying on folks who work on our cars all the time. By the way, Forgot in my labor quoted in the above. I separately purchased H&R sway bars for the front and rear and we're also installed at that price. Like the feel of the set up overall and a noticable improvement.
Doesn't surprise me that Sharwerks is saying that the Techarts are better since they sell them at twice the price of the Eibachs.

The guys at Champion Motorsports (which know a thing or two about Porsches) told me that the Techarts and the Eibachs are the same. They don't sell either of them so there's no bias. Also, I find it weird that Techart doesn't publish their spring rates.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:02 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Surfer2001
Your ride looks awesome!
Thx!
Old 02-17-2017, 09:07 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Its funny that the "experts" who sell these Techarts for presumably a much bigger profit margin claim that they are spec'd out differently but they just cant quite get around to telling anyone what the special specs are. Eibach makes the Techarts and they have never disclosed what these special specs are!! Leading everyone to the logical conclusion that they are the same product

H&R gladly provides spring rate info but Techart - crickets

And I have never seen a car with H&R's or Eibachs that have sagged. I believe H&R remains the biggest provider of springs

Hope they work out for you

Cheers
Old 02-17-2017, 09:08 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Doesn't surprise me that Sharwerks is saying that the Techarts are better since they sell them at twice the price of the Eibachs.

The guys at Champion Motorsports (which know a thing or two about Porsches) told me that the Techarts and the Eibachs are the same. They don't sell either of them so there's no bias. Also, I find it weird that Techart doesn't publish their spring rates.
Sorry just saw this after I hit send but agree with you 100%
Old 02-17-2017, 09:24 PM
thxrick
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the info...Champion is highly thought of...

So just a spring swap, no struts?
Old 02-17-2017, 09:31 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by thxrick
Thank you for the info...Champion is highly thought of...

So just a spring swap, no struts?
Yes, just springs.

BTW, I had my car aligned at the dealer a couple of months ago and everything was adjusted within OEM specs. No need for toe links or anything else.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:40 PM
Supermode
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Is your cars suspension lowered ? so you also engage the SPASM and still there is no rubbing with your wheels on spacers ?
Its lowered 10mm more than a car with PASM and 20mm more than a car without PASM. There is no rubbing with or without PASM button activated.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:58 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Received 429 Likes on 173 Posts

Zero regrets and would do exactly the same if I bought another 997.2

Here is my thread with measurements and full shipping list of parts. I did shocks, swaybars & drop links also. The swaybars are also 100% worth it imho.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...r-install.html

Old 02-17-2017, 11:14 PM
gwinder
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I will finish the installation of the Techarts tomorrow and decided to do them myself. Lot's of help and advice from people on this forum and really the only tool I had to buy was the ball joint splitter which I got at Harbour Freight for $20..there's a few tricks to getting the rears back in but with help from a friend it's pretty easy. I went with the Techarts even though they were $250 more than the Eibachs. Just piece of mind I guess. Pictures to follow when finished.

Quick Reply: Regret lowering?