Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Just Experienced IMS Failure

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 12:53 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

OP, I'm sure your mechanic is great but if I were in your shoes (and I was) and in your area (I'm not) I would contact Tony Callas @ Callas Rennsport in Torrance. He conducts M96 classes with Jake Raby, and might have some good insights for you as to what exactly happened with your engine and what your options are.

In my case I lost my engine at about the same mileage, although not to IMSB failure. I went with an RND engine. I could have put the same money forward into a newer car but I'd still have ended up with an engine with the same potential for failure, plus the increased depreciation of a newer car.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:56 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Back to the original topic. The used engine for 10k looks like a pretty good deal and if you are interested in turning a wrench it could be a rewarding project.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:06 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 567 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Get your dealer involved especially if you've had it serviced and maintained there.
100% goto your dealer and work the relationship you have with your SA. you purchased it brand spanking new there and it looks like you had it serviced there, worst case scenario is they tell u to bugger off.

Originally Posted by TheDerf
I spoke with Porsche briefly and the build date was July 13, 2004.
Originally Posted by ADias
Your car may belong to a class of VINs PAG agreed to offer some compensation or whatever the class judgement entails.
your car looks to be one of the first 2005 cars with the smaller IMS bearing so it certainly did quality for compensation in case you experience IMS failure, even more so the compensation was a reasonable amount since you are the first owner of the vehicle.

Originally Posted by Nova997
Unfortunately I believe there is a 10 year Statute of Limitations on receiving compensation from the class judgement (meaning only mid-year 2007 models and newer can still apply for compensation).
- if i were the OP i would still try, can't hurt and as a brand new car purchase. with all the documented issues, lawsuits against this very exact problem it's not unreasonable on his behalf.

like others have mentioned it, if the dealer wont help, you can sell it as a roller (10-15k tops) or spend another 25-30k on a raby engine (truly bulletproof for life) and enjoy the car for another 15 years without worrying about anything.

OP let us know what happens, wishing you luck with everything.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:19 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,526 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by garyinseattle
Wow, this is scary stuff. since you are the original owner, I would also start with dealer. even though 12 years old, there should be some brand protection on their part.
LOL! Sorry.... I don't mean to insult you.... your comment is reasonable.

The simple truth is Porsche tried to hide this and refused to take responsibility for this. BMW, about the same time, had problems with their M3 engines and wrote owners a letter extending their warranty on the engines to 100K miles.... howza bout that for backing your product !!! BMW just did this for their X5s.... my friend's X5 had her front drive shaft fail and take out the transmission (it may have been the transfer case... she didn't know)... her car was out of warranty but the dealer let her know that BMW "silently" extended the warranties on them for this issue.

Porsche denied it and lost a class action suite...... that is heavy stuff in my book.

Now to be fair to them, remembering back to the days when these things were blowing all over the place - not hyperbole and it wasn't just the IMS - if you were out of warranty, Porsche would still back the engine and cover the costs. Sometimes they would cover the part, you paid the labor... sometimes visa versa.... lotsa stories from those days.

But at some point.... years or miles ... you own it.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 02-17-2017, 02:36 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Back in 2000 when I was looking for a 911 the issues of the day were

A) Slipped sleve (engine would grenade itself)
B) Porous engine casings (engine would bleed 24/7)
C) RMS (you know the story)

I ended up getting a Boxster and buying an air cooled 911.

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Now to be fair to them, remembering back to the days when these things were blowing all over the place - not hyperbole and it wasn't just the IMS - if you were out of warranty, Porsche would still back the engine and cover the costs. Sometimes they would cover the part, you paid the labor... sometimes visa versa.... lotsa stories from those days.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:54 PM
Jnelso
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 66 Posts

Anyone have any experience with Vertex, they advertise long blocks for $10,999?
Old 02-18-2017, 12:00 PM
Shred
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

+1 for Callas Rennsport. They really care for their customers' cars.

So sad to hear someone had lost a car due to the IMS or other M96/97 issues.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:23 AM
DaveMann
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you decide to sell it as is let me know.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:50 PM
bimmer81
Racer

Sorry to hear of your loss.

The engine off my 06 C4 is listed for sale.
https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...65k-miles.html
Old 03-18-2017, 05:13 PM
TheDerf
AutoX

Originally Posted by bimmer81
Sorry to hear of your loss.

The engine off my 06 C4 is listed for sale.
https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...65k-miles.html
Thanks. I've sold the car. Tough decision, but the right one for my family and circumstances.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:33 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Extremely rare sorry for your loss. My local independent has serviced thousands of Porsches - he has seen a total of 3 in his entire life with IMS failure - 2 of them were completely ragged out and looked like they never had an oil change he stated. People like Raby who rally the fear mongering for profit and the money hungry scum lawyers who pushed this should be ignored.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:35 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

incoming
Old 03-18-2017, 08:59 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
Extremely rare sorry for your loss. My local independent has serviced thousands of Porsches - he has seen a total of 3 in his entire life with IMS failure - 2 of them were completely ragged out and looked like they never had an oil change he stated. People like Raby who rally the fear mongering for profit and the money hungry scum lawyers who pushed this should be ignored.
wow. That's good to know. Like the bore scoring issue, I kind of always wonder about the cars that fail. In other words, how many of them went by the recommended oil intervals and recommended oil and changed the filter every time. There are relatively few of these failures, but I am sure we all know people that never or hardly ever change their oil, and when they do they just dump anything they see on the shelf in the car.

Which then I wonder, how many of the failures are in cars where people change the oil every 5k, use good filters, proper warming up techniques and proper oil? I am sure there are a few (this thread may be an example of one) but I kind of bet that the majority of the failures are neglected cars (yes, even Porsche owners).
Old 03-19-2017, 12:19 AM
vern1
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 79 Posts

I have never found Jake Raby to be anything other then helpful. He has a backlog of business for at least a year so he hardly needs to resort to "fear mongering"

Originally Posted by rodH
wow. That's good to know. Like the bore scoring issue, I kind of always wonder about the cars that fail. In other words, how many of them went by the recommended oil intervals and recommended oil and changed the filter every time. There are relatively few of these failures, but I am sure we all know people that never or hardly ever change their oil, and when they do they just dump anything they see on the shelf in the car.

Which then I wonder, how many of the failures are in cars where people change the oil every 5k, use good filters, proper warming up techniques and proper oil? I am sure there are a few (this thread may be an example of one) but I kind of bet that the majority of the failures are neglected cars (yes, even Porsche owners).
You can keep comforting yourself with those thoughts but the scoring failures I have heard about (including mine), were on cars that were properly serviced etc
Old 03-19-2017, 02:29 AM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 269 Posts

I agree with you. Today, I spoke with the shop foreman of a local dealer and he said that in 16 years of working on Porsche, he had only seeing less than a handful of IMS failures. All of the failures were from cars manufactured from 2002 to very early 2005 productions. Basically, the 996 engines. Don't worry and ride on!

Quick Reply: Car Just Experienced IMS Failure