Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drilling SMALL holes in air box for SOUND?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 10:17 AM
vern1
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocco07
"K&N Hot Air Intake"
I logged in just to laugh. Great!
Thank you, thank you, I am here all week!

Originally Posted by Racetwin2
It makes a difference. Listen to the video below. I have installed the blue silicone hose and resonator cap/block on my 997.1.

It's the blocking of the resonator that makes the difference in sound. No real difference on low rpm but above 5000 you hear this nice intake noise that really is what the Porsche should sound like from the beginning.

P.s I also have Gundo.
Blocking the resonator only has an effect on start up is my understanding as its supposed to balance off the richer mixture sounds at start up to warm the cats. I do not believe it has any effect once tha start up period is complete.

Originally Posted by JCD911S
Swiss-cheesing the airbox is pretty common among tuners of the non-snobby kind.

Bingo! God forbid you get caught drilling holes in your airbox. You must spend ridiculous amounts on an aftermarket HAI that does the same thing!

Originally Posted by Raven 666
Just do a fister D on the mufflers best value for money mod you can do gives you a great flat six sound...leave the factory 997 air box alone and just add a BMC filter if U want more intake noise ,you have done the resonator mod already ,,,,the factory set up is sealed and draws fresh air from out side the car via the snorkel ,,,,not hot air from inside the engine compartment ,,,if you want noise do the exhaust and dont waste your money on after market airboxs plenty of threads about this and exhaust mods for these cars.......
Best advice so far
Old 02-17-2017, 12:36 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

More air in does nothing unless you can get more air out at the same time...
Old 02-17-2017, 12:56 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^^^ i was gonna tell him to drill holes in his mufflers......if he didn't like it he could always epoxy lag bolts into the muffler or just go all out and put baseball cards in his spokes
Old 02-17-2017, 01:51 PM
JCD911S
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

As crude as the test was, there's at least some data to prove that the "hot" air intake has some benefits. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...surements.html

Let's see some data to prove otherwise.

Originally Posted by vern1
Thank you, thank you, I am here all week!

Blocking the resonator only has an effect on start up is my understanding as its supposed to balance off the richer mixture sounds at start up to warm the cats. I do not believe it has any effect once tha start up period is complete.

Bingo! God forbid you get caught drilling holes in your airbox. You must spend ridiculous amounts on an aftermarket HAI that does the same thing!

Best advice so far
Old 02-17-2017, 03:01 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by JCD911S
As crude as the test was, there's at least some data to prove that the "hot" air intake has some benefits. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...surements.html

Let's see some data to prove otherwise.
Hey more power to ya if you think it adds 3-4 HP's. I personally think that 1) if it adds any more power its negligible at best and not noticable at all contrary to people's placebo butt dynos (and there are plenty who think it reduces power) and 2) there are plenty of better ways to add real sound to the car

Also I just think it's funny that people were aghast ne horrified, that someone would consider drilling their airbox even though it's quite common with the air-cooled crowd and it's really the same concept as adding a much more expensive aftermarket HAI

Cheers
Old 02-17-2017, 03:08 PM
JCD911S
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

To clarify, my statement along with the rest of my post was in SUPPORT of swiss-cheesing and in opposition to those who were criticizing the idea.

I think I'll have cheese and crackers for lunch.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:37 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

There's a bunch of stuff in Bimmer forums about drilling holes in your mufflers for more sound.
Of course....that would be stupid.

Last edited by wc11; 02-18-2017 at 08:57 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:11 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 693 Likes on 418 Posts

I'm always amazed at forum members command of the English language and ability to both support and diss a post! There are responses related to increase/decrease in hp. Let's remember his request for input was only related to sound.
My recommendation to increase sound is push sport and pse button. Take a 110 lb woman for a ride. A high rpm ride. Then use your porsche approved drill bit with wing in up position for 4 hr (see wing posting) to elicit lots of increased sound.
Lots better than passing car at night on my k100rs with wife on back. Drop 2-3 gears. Immediately after passing dump throttle. Huge backfire and shoot a 3 ft flame from tailpipe. Scare hell out of car. Wife quit riding with me.
I say drill away!
God forgive me for having 2 scotches and a Cuban cigar.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:25 AM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Mano! a Mano!
Old 02-18-2017, 10:43 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
Thank you, thank you, I am here all week!Blocking the resonator only has an effect on start up is my understanding as its supposed to balance off the richer mixture sounds at start up to warm the cats. I do not believe it has any effect once tha start up period is complete.Bingo!
Not correct! Listen to the video again. It's my car. It makes a big difference above 5000 rpm. It's the high pitch noise you hear. More pronounced if you fast forward to ca 50 seconds. A little bit like opening a hatch to the engine bay. Or the YPVS valve on a Yamaha RD350 for those of you who know Warm engine or not - intake sound is always there. The video is shot after 25 minutes of driving to work.

Of cause resonator has no effect except better intake noise.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:21 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 693 Likes on 418 Posts

RD350? Great sound and bike. Not near as loud as a Hodaka rat or Kawasaki 500 triple 2 stroke with expansion chambers whose packing lasts about 1 1/2 hrs. All 3 cool bikes.
Sadly the original Kawasaki had drum brakes that took forever to stop from high speeds. The only vehicle that caused me to throw out both underwear and pants when I left Blueridge Pkwy at triple digits and tried to stop in Clingmans Dome parking lot before running out of pavement. Sadly when they put disc brake on it they detuned it. Finally stopped but didn't go like before.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:47 AM
82_930
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wanna talk about nice sound on a bike?

KTM RC8R - Full Ti- Akprapovic Evo 4, full club race kit w/o dB killer or Ducati 1098s with full Termignoni's... those sound awesome!

Quick Reply: Drilling SMALL holes in air box for SOUND?