Sponsored by:

Why is my car chattering?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 11:40 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Why is my car chattering?

Dude. When I first got this car I had a chirp when I first start the car and drive off. I went on a witch hunt - water pump, thermostat, all associated gaskets, pulleys, belt, tensioner. Even a new exhaust setup. Several stripped thermostat bolts later plus you name it...... it's back. I'm hearing the good ol chirp again. Dear god.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:45 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 94 Posts

Man, I believe your car was built the morning after Oktoberfest or something similar. How many issues have you dealt with??

Hope you find the problem, or better yet, find another Porsche!
Old 02-08-2017, 01:14 AM
Louis de Funes
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by ATSR
Man, I believe your car was built the morning after Oktoberfest or something similar. How many issues have you dealt with??

Hope you find the problem, or better yet, find another Porsche!
for sure

sorry that you are dealing with all these gremlins
Old 02-08-2017, 03:06 AM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Bitch is making me nuts but she puts out so good I put it with it!
Old 02-08-2017, 03:35 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by ALEV8
Dude. When I first got this car I had a chirp when I first start the car and drive off. I went on a witch hunt - water pump, thermostat, all associated gaskets, pulleys, belt, tensioner. Even a new exhaust setup. Several stripped thermostat bolts later plus you name it...... it's back. I'm hearing the good ol chirp again. Dear god.
Chirp all the time every cold start or just after a wash or sitting out in the rain?

My Turbo can chirp if the belt's wet from after a wash or if the car sits out in the rain. The belt slips. One can "tell" from the battery voltage gage. The reading is low, around 10V. But as the engine idles and the belt and pulleys dry the voltage climbs and in just a few moments is up near 14V.

But as the belt dries it can emit a chirp or two.

The only time the Turbo chirps even when the engine/belt/pulleys are dry was when an idler roller bearing was bad. I have had to replace the all the idler rollers and tensioner now twice in around 151K miles. (The Boxster's are original with over 308K miles on them.)
Old 02-08-2017, 04:37 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Idlers are brand new.
I will say my battery is constantly near dead as I don't drive much daily. Unless it's charged overnight it's in the 11v range when I start it in AM. When car goes to Porsche the battery has completely died - settings are F'd, seats and homelink act weird, etc from lack of voltage. Why Porsche allows this idk. Part of me thinks if you don't have a new car they don't really care and part of me thinks someone is really really out to lunch at this big dealership and I bet that's the case. I'm a good customer can you charge my Fn battery before I come get the car please?
Old 02-08-2017, 04:46 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

For an 06 I'm not in the least surprised at losing water pumps and thermostat, idlers and pulleys or belts. AOS was expected. All the other big nasties were handled by PO. Aging modules dying not surprisingly after 106k mi and ten years. All expected maintenance items, like the whole suspension, etc at 100.000 mi. These cars are not trouble free unless warrantied but mine drives great and will drive better. I could spend a lot more money to go a little bit faster and have half the miles but fixing everything is nowhere near as expensive.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:56 PM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Bitch is making me nuts but she puts out so good I put it with it!
Wait are we still talking about the car? 😳😜🙊
Old 02-08-2017, 06:54 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Idlers are brand new.
I will say my battery is constantly near dead as I don't drive much daily. Unless it's charged overnight it's in the 11v range when I start it in AM. When car goes to Porsche the battery has completely died - settings are F'd, seats and homelink act weird, etc from lack of voltage. Why Porsche allows this idk. Part of me thinks if you don't have a new car they don't really care and part of me thinks someone is really really out to lunch at this big dealership and I bet that's the case. I'm a good customer can you charge my Fn battery before I come get the car please?
The car is an '06? Is the battery original? Could be time to replace the battery.

If one starts the engine he must, well, should, drive the car long enough that the battery gets replenished. The start drains some charge from the battery and it takes time for the battery to recharge. I watch the battery voltage gage. After a start and for some time after the voltage level is close to 14V. But after maybe 15 minutes or more of driving -- in the day with the lights off and the A/C off -- the battery voltage level drops a bit and I take that to indicate the battery is topped up.

I find in order to keep my Turbo's battery "topped" up I have to drive it at least twice a week and I drive it to work which is a 30 mile/30 minute (or more) drive. Then of course the car gets driven home after work during which the 30 mile drive tops up the battery and then some.

The behavior you report is not Porsche's fault. There is a limit to how long a battery can last with the car not being used often enough or kept on a battery charger/maintainer to keep the battery topped up. Lead/acid batteries do not take kindly to being run down. They like to be kept charged up.

I will say my local dealer/service department will put the car on a special battery charger/conditioner if I mention something about the battery and sometimes this is done without my asking. Once I came in to check on the car's status and the tech had the charger/conditioner hooked up reconditioning the battery.

My experience is my cars and I think yours is no different like to be used and regularly and not just a short run about the block. As I mentioned above the engine start uses up some of the battery's charge and this needs to be replaced and the sooner the better.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:58 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Battery is one year old Interstate. Not the issue.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:10 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,593 Likes on 4,191 Posts

I would pull the serpentine belt off and spin the pulleys, including the alternator. See if any are making noise or not spinning freely. You might have an alternator issue based on the car not recharging well. Have you ever had the starter cable with the bad crimps replaced? This manifests itself like it's a bad starter, but can cause the same slow cranking like the battery is dead even when it's not. This cable can also effect the car's ability to charge the battery.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:49 AM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Alternator is 2015 new at RUF Autocentre. Park Place foreman personally told me the cables are in great shape. Car was maintained well before I got it. I do keep it on a creek at night most nights but my commutes are to the coffee shop and back maybe 15 min round trip. I don't drive too much. Inner to double check exhaust mounts.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:29 AM
Imran520
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your car makes that sound on acceleration, I'd usually call it pinging, or pre-ignition. The knock sensor usually prevents that from happening. Get the codes pulled, post them here, and we can help further.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:50 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Only does it at idle and when you blip the throttle there's a squeak. Almost like a loose mount on the exhaust somewhere or the throttle body butterfly.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:50 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Have you tried the most basic and cheap solution - belt spray/ belt dressing? Worth a try.

I had a metallic squeal. Thought for sure that it was the water pump. Especially since belt was just replaced at service. Proved to be the belt anyway and just a short spray with belt dressing made it super quiet vs before. Also no chirping when cold.

Since it's only at the blip of the throttle I'm thinking worn engine/tranny mounts or something related to movement as the engine tries to rotate.

Quick Reply: Why is my car chattering?