Sponsored by:

2005 Carrera with 80K miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 05:35 PM
naissurmk2
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Carrera with 80K miles

Hello Everyone... Long time reader, first time poster...

Thinking of purchasing my first 911 and would like to get your opinion..

Looking at 2005 Carrera with 80K miles for about $25K (still negotiating)... The car had 7 owners in the past and based on pictures, appears to be used hard... My original plan was to purchase something a lot newer and better - 07-08 Turbo or maybe even a '12-'13 991, but can not justify to myself an idea of dropping $70-80K on a second car at this time.

Figured, buying an entry Porsche to get myself familiar with the style of the car etc. and to see how often I will even get to drive it with busy schedule and 3rd kid on the way. Plus at $25K, even budgeting a few thousand for misc repairs/maintenance, I feel I can sell it for similar price in a year or so when I decide to upgrade to my next "higher end" Porsche...

With that said, I have a few questions that I would really appreciate people's opinions on...

Researching online, 2005 are knows for IMS problems and possible other minor "1st year of production" issues... At 80K miles, what are the chances that some of those issues are still there with a risk of failure? Shouldn't they already happen by this time?

It's listed by a BMW dealership, so I would assume they should have some extended warranty plans available? Are those worth it? Any particular warranty companies that you would recommend? Or to avoid? Any specific "level" of warranty? Engine/drivetrain only or more extensive?

Any suggestions for good shop to do an onsite PPI inspection in Columbia, NC? I am from MN and will be flying in to pick up the car and driving it back to MN..

Thank you all!
Old 01-31-2017, 06:45 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 134 Posts

It's going to be hard to find or expensive for a warranty on a car 12 years old. If it's not blown up by now at 80k then chances are it won't
Old 01-31-2017, 09:12 PM
Rikky001
Racer

You get what you pay for is free advice. 25K for a 997 is cheap, there must be a reason for it.
The car is 12 years old, why you want warranty for a 25K object? If the engine goes boom it will cost you 20K is the figure you have to keep in mind a worst case. IMS on a 2005 is easily replaceable, not an issue and if it did not fail in its 12 years, unlikely it will fail now.

A 997.1 from 2005 and a 7-8 Turbo or a 991 are different animals, prices differ a lot.
If you buy 25K and get the car up to standard you might have to spend 10K easily and hope nothing catastrophic happens to your engine. Selling a 2005 a year later for 35K is dreaming and not realistic imo.
Seen it in several cases, buying cheap results most of the time in an expensive adventure.
If you are a DYI type and familiar with the 997 the 25K might be a good deal, if not, I would spend more money and go for a younger one as a 12 year old car will demand some care and money.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:18 PM
blakecam
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Even though the price of the car is $25K, it's still like maintaining and repairing a $100K car. It ain't gonna be cheap.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:28 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,804 Likes on 1,503 Posts

It sounds potentially like a great car for somebody with a small budget but handy with a wrench and happy to fix the minor/medium things that will need fixing on an 80K mile car.

Not a great car for a "pull it into the dealer, I don't know whats wrong with it but please fix it for me" kind of owner.

If it's an early '05, the IMSB has the same risk as any 996, which is to say not a huge risk but still a risk. If it's a manual, just run top quality oil with frequent changes and swap the bearing at the next clutch change. A PPI will tell you nothing about the condition of the IMSB unless perhaps if it is actively in the process of failing and making noises or if they check for metal in the oil pan (which PPI's almost never do).

Also, there are SO many potential cosmetic issues with a $25K 997 that there is no way I'd commit to one without laying eyes on it first. I'm still amazed at cars I've seen described as 'excellent' condition or nearly flawless that looked like crap. I've also seen 80K mile 911's that still look near showroom condition, inside and out.
German888
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shouldn't be to hard to find a decent independent in your area. Hopefully someone here will chime in with a recommendation.

I wouldn't be afraid of the mileage if the car is priced right and the PPI checks out. Make sure to borescope and check for records of clutch /IMS replacement. If no records, the PPI can tell you if it has bore scoring and give compression and leakdown results. You might have to roll the dice on the IMS if there is no history of it being done. At 80K you might be close to needing a clutch if it's original at which time you'd be doing the IMS anyway since your 95% of the labor into it.

Shoot pics of the car showing the condition and I'm sure you'll get plenty of feedback on it. Best of luck.
tontor33
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you expand your price range by even $5000 you can get a better cared for example that will cost you less in the long run. Even little things cost a bunch of money and add up on these cars. You are far better off starting with something that was taken care of rather than dumping money into a car that has lived a hard unloved life. Even with a 12yo car, 7 owners is a red flag to me. Just my .02
Old 01-31-2017, 09:30 PM
beetleything
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

THIS-

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...rt-chrono.html
Old 01-31-2017, 09:49 PM
German888
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice car but doesn't sound like $40K is the budget the OP has set for this toy...

Originally Posted by beetleything
Old 01-31-2017, 10:00 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,804 Likes on 1,503 Posts

OK, I think I just looked at (online) the car you are referring too.. At BMW Colombia.

It's definitely NOT the kind of car I'd consider. I see a replacement GT3 style (but I think aftermarket) bumper and side skirts, bumper looks pretty damaged, signs that it was owned by a 'faster and furiouser' type owner including the blackout taillights, vinyl over interior trim, I think the wheels are aftermarket, leather looks pretty dirty, etc.

It was also a Jan 2005 production date, which is almost certainly the M96 engine with the small (but replaceable) IMSB vs the late 2005's which had the M97 engine.

Every car has it's price, but really the only compelling thing about this particular car is the low price. I vote nay for a first time Porsche owner.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:41 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Im an optimist. Before spending a dime, I would ask if they would let you do a PPI. If yes, then do a Carfax. If both check out, put a deposit on it and do a test drive as a last check.

With that said, a good PPI including borescope will show you the fatal flaws. $25k leaves some wiggle room to fix things.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:23 PM
Antonio
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I just bought a 2005 Carrera with 80,000 miles. I paid a little more than the car you are considering. Mine had over $6,000 of work performed over the past 6 months. New clutch, flywheel, RMS, LN IMS bearing, brakes, motor mounts and a few other smaller things. The PPI did not reveal any mechanical issues other than tired rear shock absorbers. Cosmetically the car is far from perfect but still very presentable. I plan to track it so a garage queen was not what I was after. As others said, absolutely have a PPI performed by a reputable Porsche shop. Personally I would not be too concerned about the high miles as long as the car checks out. Be prepared to walk away if major issues are uncovered. Use minor flaws to negotiate the price down. Good luck.

Last edited by Antonio; 01-31-2017 at 11:58 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:50 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

Car Fax shows the car was reported stolen TWICE!

Both times in FL, the first time about a month after it was first registered!

A compression check at 13k miles and a MAF. A/C issues, trans issue, and now suspension.

Would not consider this car at all....the third time it would be stolen is when this dealer sells this to some unfortunate soul and takes the cash.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:43 AM
Rikky001
Racer

Originally Posted by SoCal C2S

A compression check at 13k miles and a MAF. A/C issues, trans issue, and now suspension.

Would not consider this car at all....the third time it would be stolen is when this dealer sells this to some unfortunate soul and takes the cash.
Ooops, but hey, what to expect for a 25K Porsche 911? A pristine, maintenance documented 997.1 still get 30- 35K. I am not afraid to buy a cheap original Porsche as hobby project, but not a converted poser mobile,,,
Old 02-01-2017, 04:27 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal C2S

And there ya go. Two tires on banana peels and the other two hanging over a cliff.

This car is a roller or track car at best.

Quick Reply: 2005 Carrera with 80K miles