Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Carrera with 80K miles

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 09:19 AM
German888
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If half what's been reported about it is true I'd be negotiating in the sub $20K range or walk.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:05 AM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

If I wanted to spend $25k on a 911 and took the risk of having a project car that just sat there I would lease a new 911. @$1K/mo for 2 years and have a car to drive with no worries.

I don't lease as it's just throwing money away but in this case I see it as the same deal.

Save the $25k, find something in much better shape with a decent history. 80k miles is nothing if maintained well and I wouldn't be afraid. Mine just turned 58k and I would get in it and drive anywhere without concern.

But to each his own....best of luck!
Old 02-01-2017, 11:44 AM
JuanK20
Burning Brakes

Received 287 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by German888
If half what's been reported about it is true I'd be negotiating in the sub $20K range or walk.
Well if the OP can get it that cheap, i would overlook everything else. A good running 997 for under 20k is a great deal. I'd buy it and fix it up. Make it a Track car. Or maybe some crazy liberty walk project. Either way they'll be room to do a complete overhaul.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:13 PM
German888
Racer

Begs the question regarding the bottom of the base .1 market. How low will they go? Sub $25K seems likely to me given the issues and huge production numbers from 2005-2008. Talked to a well known 911 broker in the PCNW and his feelings were $20K will be the hard bottom regardless of mileage.

High mileage .1 cars represent the sweet spot especially if you can find 1-2 owner versions with no respray or interior wear & tear.

I've found craigslist to be the best source. Spent several months looking and found several in the sub $30K range and a few in the sub $25K range.

Originally Posted by JuanK20
Well if the OP can get it that cheap, i would overlook everything else. A good running 997 for under 20k is a great deal. I'd buy it and fix it up. Make it a Track car. Or maybe some crazy liberty walk project. Either way they'll be room to do a complete overhaul.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:16 PM
naissurmk2
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you everyone for your replies. Really appreciate it!

I saw the theft / service records on Carfax report, but figured at this price/miles/year - how much further is it going to depreciate in the near future... I was thinking that after all of the major services in the beginning of its life would of got rid some of issues with the car by this time. 25K for a car plus 3-5K for service/repairs to get it where it should be from the beginning seemed like a decent deal. 30-32K all in for a first 911 that I would not freak out about driving/parking anywhere like I would my regular car and resale value around the same as I would have into it - made sense in my mind...

However, based on the feedback/comments, 5k might not take me that far service wise and there might be never ending issues due to the history of the car... I think at this point, I would take it slow and see if I can get it below 25K. At 22-23K probably would take my chances and learn my lessons along the way... I don't think it would be possible to get it for 20K...

I will also try to fins a local SC Porsche shop to see if they could take a look at the car fro me to get a better idea of the condition. I am in MN...

Again, thank you all! I will keep the thread updated to see which direction I will go.. Thanks!
Old 02-01-2017, 02:00 PM
German888
Racer

Good plan. If you decide to flinch on that car at least do the PPI so your not rolling the dice on the service/repairs. You really do get your money's worth doing a thorough PPI. You'll come away knowing what your really looking at.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:58 AM
SlowPoki
6th Gear

Originally Posted by naissurmk2
Thank you everyone for your replies. Really appreciate it!

I saw the theft / service records on Carfax report, but figured at this price/miles/year - how much further is it going to depreciate in the near future... I was thinking that after all of the major services in the beginning of its life would of got rid some of issues with the car by this time. 25K for a car plus 3-5K for service/repairs to get it where it should be from the beginning seemed like a decent deal. 30-32K all in for a first 911 that I would not freak out about driving/parking anywhere like I would my regular car and resale value around the same as I would have into it - made sense in my mind...

However, based on the feedback/comments, 5k might not take me that far service wise and there might be never ending issues due to the history of the car... I think at this point, I would take it slow and see if I can get it below 25K. At 22-23K probably would take my chances and learn my lessons along the way... I don't think it would be possible to get it for 20K...

I will also try to fins a local SC Porsche shop to see if they could take a look at the car fro me to get a better idea of the condition. I am in MN...

Again, thank you all! I will keep the thread updated to see which direction I will go.. Thanks!
I actually did a PPI on that car and it failed bad. I ended up buying another car. Let me know if you want it and I can send it to you. Has massive over Revs on every gear but 6th.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:14 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,804 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Has massive over Revs on every gear but 6th.
Over-revs are by range, not gear. How many range 5 and 6 did it have? Range 1-4 don't mean much...
Old 02-05-2017, 09:21 PM
SlowPoki
6th Gear

Here is the PPI. Dealership claim the command codes are there because of the after market radio. I don't know if an aftermarket radio is why the hood won't open though.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:27 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

That is not a bad overrev report... Range 1-4 are just bouncing off the rev limiter. Fifteen range 5, zero range 6. It would be nice to see how many hour ago the very small number of range 5's occurred.

I didn't like the looks or mods on that car and wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole, but my reasons for passing would have nothing to do with the over-revs.

Last edited by pfbz; 02-06-2017 at 05:40 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:06 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So slightly off topic, there has got to be an alternate way to pop the frunk with a dead battery. Hidden cable? Or do you jump it via the fuse box.

That PPI isnt a death sentence, but it leaves out the major stuff like a ride report, paint work and compression, bore scope. Thus the $145 invoice.

Slowpoki, thanks for the contribution. I love it when the internet steps up.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:08 AM
Rikky001
Racer

Originally Posted by captainbaker
So slightly off topic, there has got to be an alternate way to pop the frunk with a dead battery. Hidden cable? Or do you jump it via the fuse box.

That PPI isnt a death sentence, but it leaves out the major stuff like a ride report, paint work and compression, bore scope. Thus the $145 invoice.

Slowpoki, thanks for the contribution. I love it when the internet steps up.
Fully agree. This is not a PPI report, if they even don't manage to open the hood, what to expect. I would have asked for the bore scope of the 3 cylinders, that is an hour job if done on a lift.
Maybe they thought it was sufficient to write down that the rocker panels were not professionally installed as a no go car, possible. Think it depends what the people ask to be included in a PPI or what they are willing to pay for it.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:33 AM
jeffm
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 35 Posts

From my experience, PPI's performed at a Porsche dealer are cursory at best. I've had much better luck using an Indy.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:59 PM
go.illini
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Why not consider a 996? There are plenty out there that have been well cared for in that price range.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:48 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jeffm
From my experience, PPI's performed at a Porsche dealer are cursory at best. I've had much better luck using an Indy.
I agree... And the scope of what is performed even at indy's varies wildly. Things like borescopes, paint metering, oil filter particle inspection, etc. are almost never done.

Quick Reply: 2005 Carrera with 80K miles