Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lots of condensation on interior glass - thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 09:36 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,775 Likes on 1,756 Posts
Default Lots of condensation on interior glass - thoughts?

Getting lots of condensation on the interior glass of my '05 997.1 sunroof coupe. Thought I would refer to the RL brain trust before tracking down the culprit.
Sunroof drain hose?
Window seal?
Heater core?

Thanks for suggestions much appreciated.

Cheers
Old 01-23-2017, 09:39 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

I first read this as "my glass sunroof is getting condensation on it". But coupes do not have a glass sunroof, only targas.

So, your interior windows are fogging up? More than normal? What's the outside weather like?
Old 01-23-2017, 09:49 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by BHMav8r
Getting lots of condensation on the interior glass of my '05 997.1 sunroof coupe. Thought I would refer to the RL brain trust before tracking down the culprit.
Sunroof drain hose?
Window seal?
Heater core?

Thanks for suggestions much appreciated.

Cheers
Condensation forms when hot humid interior air contacts a cold glass surface. Turn on your AC and it will go away; and yes, you can still run the AC in Winter setting a comfortable 70F interior temp.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:52 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Much more than normal.solid fog on all glass. Have to run the fan on high for a few minutes to see out, visible glistening water droplets.
It's not garaged, lots of rain lately, also park on a side incline at work so maybe a drain is getting bypasses.
The weather is perfect for this to happen but it's way to much moisture inside.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:02 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Well, just felt the passenger floorboard carpet. Lots of moisture there.
Are there sunroof drains?
The sensors that drop and raise the window slightly are not right on that side. Maybe the door was shut with the window all the way up, thus a crack for water to drip in.
The door was replaced couple of years ago. Does the door have a drain in the event water gets past the seal?

Thinking out loud.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:07 PM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 135 Posts

If the windshield has been replaced, could be leaking and causing this. I see it all the time being in the glass biz. Take some soap and water in a spray bottle, spray the perimeter of the outside of the windshield and compressed air around the perimeter from the inside and look for air bubbles.

try the same to the moonroof, could be a seal or clog, those systems need to be cleaned out as well. If you do compressed air there, go lite, the compressed air can do damage to the weep system if done too aggressively

Running the a/c will solve the effect, but you need to fix the cause.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:10 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Sound like your AC drain is clogged and dumping water in the passenger interior.

Trending Topics

Old 01-23-2017, 10:21 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

Sorry to hear about this. A word of warning though...

You need to get the carpet dried out ASAP or it will mold and smell. Press down on the carpet with towels to sop up as much water as possible. Then at a minimum you need to open your doors and use a fan or fans to move substantial air through the car until it is dried out. Use warm and/or dehumidified air if possible. As ADias recommends, use your AC when driving with extra airflow to the floor to help speed things up too. Be sure to lift out the mats and dry them separately.

Hopefully I'm being too alarmist, but better get it dried out than let it get moldy.

One of my sons had a windshield leak that wetted his carpet and he let it go for a while... until it started smelling bad. It's much tougher to deal with once the mold starts. We did all of the above, plus some work with a wet-vac and blow-dryers and lifted up parts of the carpet to get to the pad underneath to get it all dried out. Hopefully yours isn't quite so saturated!
Old 01-23-2017, 10:22 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Searched the forum and found the anatomy of the four sunroof drain tubes. I will pour some water into them and see if they are working ok.
Prolly time for a cleaning anyway since it's not garaged.
Used to a little moisture here and there with my cab, but but this will start to mildew.
Prolly time to fix those pesky window sensors as well.

Still open to suggestions.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:38 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Got the mats out and used a towel to wick some of the moisture from the carpet. Moist, not really wet. Mats are not wet.
I think it will mostly dry out if I leave the windows open tomorrow. Sunshine and humidity willing.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:37 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

Got the mats out and used a towel to wick some of the moisture from the carpet. Moist, not really wet. Mats are not wet.
I think it will mostly dry out if I leave the windows open tomorrow. Sunshine and humidity willing.
Ah, that's good news!

I've seen a lot of reports in line with LexVan's suggestion of the A/C drain being clogged. It's pretty trivial to test with all of the moisture on the inside. When the A/C is on it will try to pull that moisture from the air. If you don't see substantial dripping from the A/C drain tube under the car then you know it must be dripping back inside.

Last edited by StormRune; 01-24-2017 at 08:08 AM.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:25 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Well, just felt the passenger floorboard carpet. Lots of moisture there.
Are there sunroof drains?
The sensors that drop and raise the window slightly are not right on that side. Maybe the door was shut with the window all the way up, thus a crack for water to drip in.
The door was replaced couple of years ago. Does the door have a drain in the event water gets past the seal?

Thinking out loud.
If the inside moisture is due to a leak... look for the drains in front of the firewall, by the battery and cabin weatherstripping. The sunroof also has drains and if those are plugged it will be easy to inspect by simply opening the sunroof.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:57 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,562 Likes on 940 Posts

ADias is right, A/C on, even in the cold, will remove humidity and moisture quite quickly.... better than evap.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 01-24-2017, 03:22 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I run AC full time as well
Old 01-24-2017, 09:52 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Open windows and no rain dried out the carpets moisture today.
Looked at the window and windshield area and really didn't notice anything blatant.
However, the front right "flap" that covered the attachment slot for a roof rack was open. If water get in there, where would it go?
Gonna let it dry out a couple more days, looking for any more moisture, then check out some drains, and run tha ac and heater for a while to see if it is is draining into the car.
Fun fun fun.

Quick Reply: Lots of condensation on interior glass - thoughts?