Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you know when your engine mounts are bad?

Old 01-31-2017, 03:07 AM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^^^Agree.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:16 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I have 23k miles but car is an 05. I have aftermarket tubi headers and exhaust. So not sure if my sag is muffler adjustment or other. But left side is low no doubt and right side also a bit. Will have a look at it when season opens back up in a few months.

good data here. Thanks all
Old 01-31-2017, 11:17 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

See below,

just modified this, sorry a repost pic of my saggy rear pipes/tips...😀
Attached Images  
Old 02-11-2017, 06:59 PM
carmanah1965
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts

I just installed the Renn Part mounts that I mentioned in an earlier post. As all of you noted, this is an easy DIY. I spent more time looking around under the car than doing the work. The Renn mounts fit perfectly and my pipes are now about 5/8" (16mm) higher than before installing the mounts.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:27 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

How is the ride and have you noticed any increased NVH?
Old 02-17-2017, 09:48 AM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 120 Posts

for those that have changed their mounts, did you guys notice any 'clunkiness' in your shifting before you changed out your mounts? i noticed my car being a bit more clunky when shifting of late.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:38 PM
carmanah1965
Intermediate

The snow around here has forced me to keep the car in the garage since the change, but I'm planning to drive this weekend. I will let you know.

Originally Posted by Iceter
How is the ride and have you noticed any increased NVH?
Old 02-17-2017, 02:06 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by Five12Free
for those that have changed their mounts, did you guys notice any 'clunkiness' in your shifting before you changed out your mounts? i noticed my car being a bit more clunky when shifting of late.
Many here say changing mounts improves shifting smoothness. I noticed nothing when I swapped my mounts out. I believe those that experience this, but I can't figure out for the life of me why this would be so as the cables are terminated on the transmission at the levers and the whole system moves as one. Why a the mounts would have any impact is beyond me.

Posters here are not the only ones who experienced improvement, the vendors of these mounts claim the same.

Chunkiness in shifting these transmissions is part of their charm, however changing out the transmission fluid for PTX (as denoted in my manual) worked wonders for me and others.... Google is your friend.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 02-17-2017, 02:43 PM
RennPart
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 271 Likes on 133 Posts

We now offer the RS mount kits with "URO" brand mounts and Genuine Porsche hardware at a more affordable price. In stock and ready for shipment. Check it out!

https://rennpart.com/product/rs-engine-mount-upgrade/

rennpart.com | Phone: 336-793-2134 |Email: ace@rennpart.com

Instagram | Facebook
Old 02-18-2017, 09:14 AM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Many here say changing mounts improves shifting smoothness. I noticed nothing when I swapped my mounts out. I believe those that experience this, but I can't figure out for the life of me why this would be so as the cables are terminated on the transmission at the levers and the whole system moves as one. Why a the mounts would have any impact is beyond me.

Posters here are not the only ones who experienced improvement, the vendors of these mounts claim the same.

Chunkiness in shifting these transmissions is part of their charm, however changing out the transmission fluid for PTX (as denoted in my manual) worked wonders for me and others.... Google is your friend.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Thanks Bruce. I do see all these claims as well, and wondered the same. I was thinking my transmission mounts may be wearing more so then the engine mounts since my car has now clicked off 47k miles. But now I'm bit by the Rennlist paranoia, and I have been looking at my exhaust tips with the 'are they lower?' look.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:15 PM
KJB911
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After reading all the posts in this thread, I decided mine as well do mine. '08 C2, 19k miles. ECS Tuning has the Rein brand, limited quantity, for ~80$ each, free shipping and no tax to IL. Figured it was too good of a deal and a little preventative maintenance never hurts. Car is in storage, so maybe in about a month. ECS also has the latest Beru coils for $218 for 6. Tempted to add plugs and do all 3 jobs 'while under there'.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:20 PM
carmanah1965
Intermediate

Finally had a chance to drive the car this weekend - honestly, I didn't feel any difference. Maybe my butt dyno is out of calibration (the car has been stored since Nov), or maybe I needed to push it harder. The roads were cold/sandy and I didn't feel comfortable enough to drive hard.

On the up-side: I can sleep better knowing my mounts aren't about to fail. Hmmm, now....was that white smoke when I started it, or just condensation burning off? Do I have a coolant leak? Are my plugs OK? Is my water pump about to crater??
Old 02-20-2017, 09:23 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by carmanah1965
Finally had a chance to drive the car this weekend - honestly, I didn't feel any difference. Maybe my butt dyno is out of calibration (the car has been stored since Nov), or maybe I needed to push it harder. The roads were cold/sandy and I didn't feel comfortable enough to drive hard.

On the up-side: I can sleep better knowing my mounts aren't about to fail. Hmmm, now....was that white smoke when I started it, or just condensation burning off? Do I have a coolant leak? Are my plugs OK? Is my water pump about to crater??
Dude, you got troubles...... I have no clue what they may be..... but you got troubles.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 02-20-2017, 09:38 PM
carmanah1965
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Dude, you got troubles...... I have no clue what they may be..... but you got troubles.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Hey, don't we all have troubles? I should have added </sarcasm> to the end.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:26 AM
RennPart
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 271 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by carmanah1965
I just installed the Renn Part mounts that I mentioned in an earlier post. As all of you noted, this is an easy DIY. I spent more time looking around under the car than doing the work. The Renn mounts fit perfectly and my pipes are now about 5/8" (16mm) higher than before installing the mounts.
Glad to hear that they worked for you! Happy driving!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do you know when your engine mounts are bad?