Sponsored by:

Semi-solid engine mounts - 3000rpm vibration

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 02:16 AM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Semi-solid engine mounts - 3000rpm vibration

Has anyone by chance installed semi-solid engine mounts that don't have a strange vibration at around 3000RPM? I have the RSS and they seem to accentuate some kind of engine resonance in the rev range around 3000.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:55 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 204 Posts

I have the wevo ss mounts and have the same thing. I love it. It feels alive. I also have the function first trans mounts and when I recently rode in a friends stock 997 I missed the vibration.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:15 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,724 Likes on 4,277 Posts

My RSS ones do the same thing. I initially thought it might have something to do with resonance from te the supercharger, but since others have it too, guess not. Honestly, you notice it the first couple weeks but then don't after that and the taming of the engine movement with the stock rubber mounts is well worth the tradeoff IMO
Old 01-18-2017, 01:22 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

Darnit. I'm not so sure I like the extra vibration that comes and goes as the revs past ~3000. It's been a few months now.

I'm curious if the OEM GT3 motor mounts can give some of the semi-solid benefits without having the 3000rpm issue.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:32 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,646 Likes on 982 Posts

IMO, I have always been a bit gun-shy on these "go fast" mods as my car is my daily driver.

I learned this a long time ago when I spoke with someone who put on an exhaust who said things like "what it should sound like.." etc etc... then I heard it and it almost made my lunch eject from my body.

Unless you are solving for a problem that you accept as a problem, bolting this stuff on may have negative consequences..... there is no free lunch... squeeze here, something pops out there.

I think there is a valid reason Porsche moved to those active mounts that tighten up on condition.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 01-18-2017, 01:47 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

I have to wonder what semi solids do to the knock sensors with the extra vibration.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:34 PM
Wasserkühlung
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just removed my semi solids and although I didn't mind the vibrations resonating in the cabin the stock mounts are much more enjoyable for daily driving. If I go back to the track ill reinstall the semi solid mounts
Old 01-18-2017, 03:21 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 246 Likes on 153 Posts

I think there is a valid reason Porsche moved to those active mounts that tighten up on condition.
I was in the 991.2 area and they (active mounts) seem to be failing and getting check messages on the fancy dash they have.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:25 PM
2011-sy-carreras
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wasserkühlung
I just removed my semi solids and although I didn't mind the vibrations resonating in the cabin the stock mounts are much more enjoyable for daily driving. If I go back to the track ill reinstall the semi solid mounts

I have a 2011 C2S with Sharkwerk's Xpipe, PSE, PDK transmission, RSS semi-solid motor mounts, RSS toe steer kit and rear suspension links, Techart springs, and EVOMSit tune. I bought the car with 12,000 miles and installed these mods shortly after the purchase. I've driven it another 13,000 miles for about a year and half now with these mods.

I may be just lucky from reading this tread, but no noticeable cabin vibration. The car is much tighter during shifts and turns. Engine runs noticeably stronger. The exhaust note is quite good and no drone. Not to loud and much better than the quieter stock 997.2 exhaust of our DFI engines. If I like to add a more throaty exhaust note. I'll turn on PSE, but most of the time, PSE with SW's xpipe is just fine for daily driving on the roads and highway. The RSS semi-solid mounts complimented and tightened up all the mods mentioned with no ill effect I can notice.

I use it as mostly a DD driver and once this past year on the track. I am very happy with the results overall with the combined mods I've mentioned.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:34 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by DC911S
I was in the 991.2 area and they (active mounts) seem to be failing and getting check messages on the fancy dash they have.
Don't forget that you only hear the reports of the rare failures, those without failures aren't reporting in a saying "hey, these are still working!". On the rare posts about the active mount failures there were very few chiming in saying they too had a problem. Considering that it is standard with Sport Chrono on 991.1 and 991.2 cars and the vast majority of 991 cars have that, I'd say the failure rate is minuscule or you would be hearing a whole lot more about it.

I too rolled back the engine mounts on my 997.2 from semisolids to new OEMs. While the semi-solids did a good job of helping me find and fix an elusive buzz/rattle in the back interior of that car, the vibration at 3800 (for me) did get a little tiring.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:39 AM
D3RP
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by gasongasoff
Has anyone by chance installed semi-solid engine mounts that don't have a strange vibration at around 3000RPM? I have the RSS and they seem to accentuate some kind of engine resonance in the rev range around 3000.
RSS engine mounts here. There is definitely a trade off to be had with NVH vs. chassis composure. I prefer the composure and don't plan on changing back. The worst resonance IMO is at idle (PDK), a bit boomy. Now, when you get above 3,000 the mounts really transmit how balanced and eager the engine is to rev. A sweet feeling in the lower back.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:29 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

I think I'm getting a little tired of the grinding sensation with the RSS mounts.
Has anyone tried a product that has less NVH compromise than the RSS, but offers an improvement over OEM?
What about the OEM GT3 mounts, do those fit?
Old 02-28-2017, 12:58 PM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 70 Posts

I am using the Yellow pads with RSS. In cold weather it vibrates. In hot weather, it is perfect.

Yves
Old 02-28-2017, 01:10 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
IMO, I have always been a bit gun-shy on these "go fast" mods as my car is my daily driver.

I learned this a long time ago when I spoke with someone who put on an exhaust who said things like "what it should sound like.." etc etc... then I heard it and it almost made my lunch eject from my body.

Unless you are solving for a problem that you accept as a problem, bolting this stuff on may have negative consequences..... there is no free lunch... squeeze here, something pops out there.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
well said........ironic many of the "ha ha racing" mounts quietly get removed and wind up back in their box sitting on a garage shelf gathering dust
Old 02-28-2017, 01:36 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

YES!!!! It's good to know that it's not just me that noticed the difference. These tranny mounts (function first orange mounts) are shyte! I'm going back to stock in the summer if I can't find anything better.

Quick Reply: Semi-solid engine mounts - 3000rpm vibration