Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Semi-solid engine mounts - 3000rpm vibration

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 10:01 PM
ervin881
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Toronto, I've got the FF yellow tranny mounts and they are excellent. Little if any increase in NVH and they smoothed my 1-2 gear shift. Couldn't be happier.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:00 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ervin881
Toronto, I've got the FF yellow tranny mounts and they are excellent. Little if any increase in NVH and they smoothed my 1-2 gear shift. Couldn't be happier.
Are the yellow's stiffer or softer? Maybe the orange is not for me & my car configuration
Old 03-01-2017, 06:06 PM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 69 Posts

Yellow is the softer. Then Blue, then Red....for track only.

Yves
Old 03-02-2017, 01:54 AM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 997_Toronto
Are the yellow's stiffer or softer? Maybe the orange is not for me & my car configuration
Orange is the softest....I had a big resonance going through 2k rpm....had.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:57 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 997_Toronto
For the FUNCTION-FIRST Transmission Mount Inserts, here is the hardness breakdown:

SOFT (60A) | Orange - for added performance and to restore and preserve your OEM mount with minimal NVH

SPORT (70A) | Yellow - for tuned and sport-oriented performance street cars, with less NVH than TRACK version

TRACK (80A) | Black - for optimized performance on track and racecars where NVH is not a consideration

Since perceived NVH is very subjective and varies from person to person, and sometimes car to car, I always recommend erring on the softer side if you're between 2 hardnesses.

Comprehensive Shifting Solutions for your Porsche.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:10 AM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal C2S
...I had a big resonance going through 2k rpm....had.
That made me laugh out loud. Reminds me of the ol' Johnny Dangerously bit-

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M31njY...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-04-2017, 09:50 PM
German888
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Finally able to get 2 nice drives which were the first of the season for me. Installed NYPPD semi solid engine mounts over the winter and I definitely notice more NVH than OE however nothing that would cause me to go back. Most noticeable at just above 3K RPM. I won't go on about how significant the shift improvement or handling of the car is.

I made major changes to the car to include coilovers, SSK and Numeric Racing cables so I have no basis for which to offer an opinion on those characteristics.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:11 AM
DocHW
Instructor

Did someone with the OEM 964 RS mount change back because of too much NVH?
Old 03-05-2017, 11:32 AM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Comanche_699
That made me laugh out loud. Reminds me of the ol' Johnny Dangerously bit-

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M31njY...ature=youtu.be
Well I know what I'm watching tonight! I so loved the "88 magnum" comment!
Old 03-05-2017, 02:15 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by DocHW
Did someone with the OEM 964 RS mount change back because of too much NVH?
Curious on this as well?
Old 03-05-2017, 03:22 PM
JF22
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

GT2 engine mounts here (expensive) but no vibration
Old 03-05-2017, 06:39 PM
Dan GSR
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Automatic will notice A LOT more nvh than a manual
Old 04-30-2017, 08:49 AM
DocHW
Instructor

Still curious if someone here installed the 964 RS mounts, but went back to stock because of vibrations.

Thanks.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:28 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Still curious if someone here installed the 964 RS mounts, but went back to stock because of vibrations.

Thanks.
Yes me too. +1
Old 09-18-2017, 10:36 PM
Appraiser
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks.
Originally Posted by cvtbenhogan
Yes me too. +1
I have 964 RS mounts on my car, I can't see why anyone would go back to stock. I bought URO parts, looked identical to the Porsche OEM 964 mounts - maybe there's a significant difference in rigidity? I pieced together the washers and bolts as needed through Pelican - I can look up part numbers for you guys if you need it. Be sure to get (4) of the big washers, two per side. I think a diagram is off and suggests only one per side.

My car is all stock otherwise with 60k miles on 18" non-pasm base C2 suspension. Nice and high. I'm running Potenza S04's.

It added a little rigidity but nothing day/night difference. The squat under acceleration is reduced ~20%. Very little NVH was added, virtually indiscernible inside the cabin with 10 year old factory rubber in place everywhere. RPM didn't exacerbate any NVH. I only noticed it made any difference with more abrupt throttle applications, especially mid corner on my canyon roads. The rear settles quicker. For cars seeing the track often I'd suggest semi-solid to feel more difference. However, for street comfort cars it's a worthwhile minor change for a couple hundred dollars.

This past weekend I added Function First Orange colored transmission mount insert. Install was straight forward, did it in the garage with the car up on all four jack stands, although I wish Function First would include the torque specs on the instructions sheet. Immediately noticed more vibration through the chassis on first start. Passenger seat now shivers when car starts and secondary air pump is on. Once idle settles to 750-800 rpms it is much tamer, down to a micro tremble. A plastic seatbelt tower cover had buzzed for a split second when the second air pump was on - but subsided as the idle settled down. Nothing vibrates or rattles throughout the rev range sitting or while moving.

The car is louder and picked up lower frequencies interestingly enough. There's a palpable bass added when wringing out the engine, it's wonderful, I have Fister D mufflers as well - it's really made driving with the window down a treat. The 964 RS mounts did not make this sound on their own, dunno if they contribute towards it though. Shifts may or may not have improved, I think so but it could just be placebo - the factory shifter is hit/miss as-is. I don't want to give up my long throws, so I can't speak to the effectiveness as a shifter aid, but I'm glad to have picked up some rigidity and push it into the 'sports car' territory some more. I was weary of ordering the mounts based on other people describing the orange mounts as a nuisance but happy that wasn't the case for me. Everyone's taste is different though.

I don't find it annoying in any way shape or form - I'd/I'll be annoyed if plastic starts to rattle or I find my fillings begin to rattle around in my head sitting at a stop light - so far it's been great though and the music can be played at the same volume as before. The combo of the 964 RS mounts and orange transmission mounts is very complimentary in my opinion for a 'sport' car. Right at that limit - I wouldn't want to add any more vibration.

But my stuff is far less stiff than the PASM or lowered spring cars from the get-go so I'm playing catch up in a sense. I can imagine it crosses the threshold of acceptable with other NVH extra contributory parts.

Quick Reply: Semi-solid engine mounts - 3000rpm vibration