Sponsored by:

Bilstein B16 damptronic+Rennline chamber plates question

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 02:33 PM
John997s
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilstein B16 damptronic+Rennline chamber plates question

I got a setup with Bilstein B16 damptronic and to that got a pair of Rennline camber plates. What other parts do I need to buy to get this to work?
I don't want to take the original dampers apart. I guess there is some kind of part between these to so the spring can rotate against the camber plate.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:59 PM
scorcherjf
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

You'd need an upper spring perch of matching inner diameter since I assume you won't be using the OEM bearings (since those mate with the OEM top plates). To prevent spring bind up, get a thrust sheet kit (which is a thin plastic and metal sheet that allows rotation) of the same inner diameter. Swift sells these thrust sheet kits and I believe the Bilstein B16 uses a 60mm ID spring up front. As for the upper spring perch, I think JRZ makes a 60mm ID perch that works with that setup.
Old 12-12-2016, 03:05 PM
John997s
Track Day

Ok. But won't the OEM bearing work since both the Rennline plate and the Bilstein B16 should work with the OEM products?
Old 12-12-2016, 03:19 PM
scorcherjf
Racer

I'm not familiar with the Rennline plates. If they do work with the OEM bearings, and you have the Bilstein B16 upper spring perches that originally came with the kit, then yes you can use those with the OEM bearings. The instructions for the Bilsteins should tell you which OEM parts you need to re-use (such as the OEM bearing). When the instructions reference the OEM top plate, just simply use the Rennline plates there and it should all mount up fine if the Rennline plates do indeed work with OEM hardware.

I was under the impression you were trying to avoid using OEM parts to get a more direct steering feel or alter the height, etc.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:43 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 951 Likes on 528 Posts

If you need spring hats to fit Bilstein springs I make them for street/race cars. See photos below. These billet aluminum spring hats replaces the Bilstein spring adapters which are intended to connect to the OEM upper mounts.

The rennline top plates are sort of unique in that they seat the OEM bell-shaped springs according to the photos on their website. Which is a little weird since using OEM bell-shaped springs defeat the full-articulation feature of the monoball bearing. Anyway, using my spring hats and proper lower bushings(or couple of M14 washers) will have full articulation.

PM me if interested in the spring hats.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 12-13-2016, 08:07 AM
John997s
Track Day

thank you for all the answers.
I have sent you a PM about the spring hats.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:25 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 951 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by John997s
thank you for all the answers.
I have sent you a PM about the spring hats.
My pleasure. I have responded to your PM. Below is a better image depicting how the hat goes between the top plate and the damper shaft.
\
You will need enough distance above the hat in order to have enough space for the monoball bearing to articulate. Usually 5mm of distance is enough, but more than 5mm is better. This is why I mention in previous post that if the lower metal bushing that came with the plate is not long enough then M14 washers can be added to build up the distance.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:13 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Even better than a thrust sheet is a thrust bearing, which has 2 metal races sandwiching a thin roller bearing between them. This is what I installed when doing my B16s and have never had a spring bind noise or feel. You can get them off eBay very reasonably and I can look up the dimensions of what I used if you need them.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:24 PM
motopix
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Even better than a thrust sheet is a thrust bearing, which has 2 metal races sandwiching a thin roller bearing between them. This is what I installed when doing my B16s and have never had a spring bind noise or feel. You can get them off eBay very reasonably and I can look up the dimensions of what I used if you need them.
PCS AXK6085 Thrust Needle Roller Bearing With Two Washers 60mm x 85mm x 3mm
Old 12-14-2016, 04:51 PM
scorcherjf
Racer

I tried the thrust bearings from ebay and they ended up rusting out after a year and seized up (winter driving probably). I ended up switching to the sheets because it's 1 stainless steel race and a plastic one and no gaps for dirt/sand to get trapped in and they rotate about as well from my experience and no corrosion either.
Old 05-02-2021, 06:57 AM
tgarchtect1
1st Gear

Default top plates for Bilstein shocks

to guy that makes the to the top plates.Hi, I am a fairly new member. I re-shocked my 2006 997.1 about a year ago and went with D-2 coil overs.For budget reasons. the street version have adjustable camber plates for the front shocks. I too have purchased the Bilstein B16 kit. My mechanic and I have been searching for something like what you made. If I had a lathe I could turn the same thing. I want to keep the adjustable camber plates from the D-2 dampers and use them on the B16's. What do you charge to make those and also do you make them for the rear shocks also. Dummy me threw away the OE top mounts last year when we installed the D-2's. I am an Architect and I will do a drawing of the D-2 camber plates front and rear.

Last edited by tgarchtect1; 05-02-2021 at 07:00 AM. Reason: want tie it to the guy that makes the top plates

Quick Reply: Bilstein B16 damptronic+Rennline chamber plates question