Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Totaled Porsche - Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 04:03 PM
3point8
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

gieco. they will pay for paint damaged not whole car. the shop says they do not have time to paint the entire car and that i won't be able to tell the difference.

my thought is they make more money doing the repairs and don't have as much money in the paint job
Old 12-08-2016, 04:48 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,455 Likes on 4,115 Posts

Originally Posted by 3point8
the shop says they do not have time to paint the entire car and that i won't be able to tell the difference.
I highly doubt that. There will be certain angles or lighting situations where you will be able to tell - especially if it's a metallic color you have. As excellent as my body shop is that I have paint the parts for my mods (same shop that did the pink pearl on my wife's), you can create the right situation where you can tell the rear bumper is not a perfect match with the rest of the car. For bumpers it's not as bad because the base material they're painting is different PUR or fiberglass vs metal on the fenders & doors, so it's not uncommon to see a little mismatch between these parts even on an OEM paint-job, but when your front fenders aren't an exact match to your doors, and they're on the same plane (both vertical surfaces, both horizontal surfaces, etc) you aren't going to be very happy when you're looking at or washing your car.

I would find another shop that has the time to respray the complete car, but that's obviously your call. Here are a few pics to show you what I'm talking about. Most of the time you can't tell and I wouldn't trade the RUF rear bumper and the look it gives the car for anything, but you do have to assume there will be some differences no matter how good the paint shop is. The question is are you OK with those differences down the side of the car, which is where they'll be most obvious.

Rear bumper to body is almost a perfect match in this photo

In this one you both the front and rear bumpers look a little more grey and slightly darker. They were also done at different times by different shops.

This one with a direct camera flash shows a fair amount of difference in how light is reflected back
Old 12-08-2016, 05:42 PM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Comparable situations.
Babysitter- I have to leave at 11 but I'm sure the kid will be ok until you get home.
Surgeon- My lodge luncheon is at noon so my secretary will sew you back up.
Pilot-I'll be stopping in Salt Lake for my HS reunion but you can take a cab to Vegas.
Wife-You have exactly 12 minutes.
Who ever heard of a body shop who runs out of time unless they are beholden to the carrier's allowed hours.. You have made a mistake with both. You are the boss of this job. Fire the body shop and tell the insurance company exactly what they are going to do.
Geico is nearly as bad as Allstate. You need an agent.
NO paint applied even the next day will ever match especially of it is silver.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:21 PM
3point8
Rennlist Member

ok thanks guys
Old 12-08-2016, 09:23 PM
3point8
Rennlist Member

also, not to sound dumb? but what's an agent? I have an adjustor....

thanks for all the help guys, really appreciate it
Old 12-08-2016, 11:18 PM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An insurance agent/broker who protects your interest with the carrier. The adjuster works for the carrier and his job is to save them money no matter how unscrupulous they might be.
Go to shop recommended by someone here on RL or in PCA. Tell them what you want done then have them call the adjustor if you can't get a direct meeting with all three in the same place.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:46 PM
3point8
Rennlist Member

k thx
Old 12-12-2016, 03:22 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Just for clarification, there's no way that any insurance company will pay for a whole-body repaint in your situation. They'll pay for the parts that are replaced to be painted and you're on the hook if you want any more than that. I'm not sure about what's been suggested here but unless you have some compromising pictures of your insurance agent or the insurance adjuster, painting the replacement parts is all they will pay for.

Second point is that to get a good body shop to paint your whole car, you will be paying not only out of pocket, but ALOT out of pocket. A good paint job isn't cheap. It's not even reasonable. It's outrageously expensive. Be prepared.

Most people find out what it will cost to have the rest of the car painted and decide that they'll take the chance on having the replacement parts painted to match the rest of the old paint. If the body shop is a very good one, you'll have a good shot at the new parts matching the old--at least matching well-enough that 99% of the people who look at it can't tell that it's been partially repainted.

Quick Reply: Totaled Porsche - Need Advice