Sponsored by:

Stupid Things Done to your 997

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 10:56 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 567 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Ynot
Wore jeans with metal buttons on the back and when I sat down, it made a small mark on the leather seats. Very annoying.
LOL same here I was so pissed!!
Old 12-07-2016, 10:07 PM
jimjoe997
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I removed the sun visor stickers with xylene. Partially melted the housing for the vanity light.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:15 AM
glenwells
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Damp in reat light cluster 997.2

Hi
My muppetry confession is for trying to fix a little water in my rear light cluster on my 997.2.
I have done this before more than once successfully with good results - sadly not on this ocassion.
I carefully looked up how to remove the rearlight cluster and did exactly as per the video.
I brought the light cluster inside and on a thick towel to stop any scrathces removed the rear panel to allow access to the inner lens area.
Borrowed my wifes hairdryer and began to apply what I thought was 'moderate' heat to dry out the moisture.
Unfortunately I had not checked the hairdryer and it was on its highest heat setting and that was obviously too much for the plastic. There were some 'creaking' noises and when I examined the lens I saw that I had cracked the clear reversing part of the lens cluster.
'Oh what bad luck' I said to myself or it was something like that!

Being really finnicky about my car there was no way I could have it on my car and have purcheased a new rear cluster for a horrendous price.
What a 5* T**t is was for not checking or giving it enough thought.
Oh well I may laugh about it in the future say about 25 years in the future!!

Regards
Glen

Old 12-30-2016, 04:14 AM
AutobahnMac911
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ecostellodo
Parked my other car outside right behind the garage door. Went to work in the Porsche the next morning and backed into the other car. Only a few scratches on the bumperette. Scared the crap out of me when the car stopped suddenly with a loud bang.
Did the same when the wife parked our other car on our driveway turn around (where I always said NOT to park a car because I couldn't see when backing out of the garage). Of course rather than try and convince her not to park there, I started backing into the garage so I could see upon exit.

Embarrassed from backing one of my cars into another one, I've told most people that some "idiot" hit it at the garage at work (mostly true)...
Old 12-30-2016, 08:37 AM
Rikky001
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mattyf
A six pack plus into the evening I decide it's a good time to bleed the brakes. My garage has sh*t all for lights so I usually use portables and put them where I'm working. I pop the frunk and hook the power bleeder up using the frunk light and put the portable light on the caliper. I pump almost a whole bottle of brake fluid in, but the pressure doesn't seem to increase much. I crack the bleeder valve on the caliper and no fluid comes out.

Grab the light and moved to the frunk to check out what was wrong... yep I filled the windshield reservoir with a whole bottle of ATE super. They use the same size cap and in the dark and drunk I had them swapped. Whoops!

Next day I pulled the reservoir, cleaned it good and flushed the lines. It's a pain to get to since you have the remove the wheel well. I guess it's better I didn't flush my brakes with windshield wiper fluid
I stopped doing any work after a six pack, or more; it seems you always get punished as the most stupid things happen which cost you or/ and a lot of time or money to fix it...
Old 12-30-2016, 11:07 AM
jeffm
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
LOL same here I was so pissed!!

What....like ladies jeans??
Attached Images  
Old 01-12-2017, 01:08 AM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 201 Posts
Default Not my 997.2, but worse ..... the wife's car

I had to go find this thread tonight because I did my part this evening to contribute to doing something STOOPID to one of our cars ....

I was in a hurry to get new windshield wipers on the wife's Q7 (at her request) before we head up to the lake tomorrow afternoon. It's been a bit nasty this week, and we're expecting some freezing rain tomorrow on the roads and she was nervous about the cruddy wipers. So in the middle of removing the old RainX wipers and before I popped the new ones on, I left one of the wiper arms up. In such a hurry to swap these out, I knocked it with my elbow, and it slammed back down on the glass (without the wiper blade attached), leading to a ginormous smash, a football-sized spiderweb crack, and a string of expletives from me. So what should have a 10 minute job and $40 worth of new wipers will now turn into an entirely new windshield .....

I'm such an idiot ..... there, now that I've said it I feel better
Old 01-12-2017, 01:14 AM
jz1976
Intermediate

Just had new bumper put on after hitting deer. Then managed to bump wall at parking garage, scraping it.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:53 AM
sc235813
Instructor

there was this lawn-care pickup truck that had this steel grated step welded on to it's tail. this rectangular, sharp-edged protrusion was visible neither in the rear nor side view mirrors - too low.

i never saw it puncture my rear bumper.

this cost about 4.5k to fix. ****.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:16 AM
RaidersR1
Racer

Originally Posted by sc235813
there was this lawn-care pickup truck that had this steel grated step welded on to it's tail. this rectangular, sharp-edged protrusion was visible neither in the rear nor side view mirrors - too low.

i never saw it puncture my rear bumper.

this cost about 4.5k to fix. ****.
Damn. Why so much?
Old 01-13-2017, 08:15 AM
sc235813
Instructor

>>Damn. Why so much?

i did the work at an expensive shop, but there was also some mods to a k40 system that i did since one of the sensors got damaged.

so i guess the raw repair for bumper replacement and paint wasn't really 4.5k.

you're killing my story man!
Old 01-13-2017, 09:10 AM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by North Shore 911
I had to go find this thread tonight because I did my part this evening to contribute to doing something STOOPID to one of our cars ....

I was in a hurry to get new windshield wipers on the wife's Q7 (at her request) before we head up to the lake tomorrow afternoon. It's been a bit nasty this week, and we're expecting some freezing rain tomorrow on the roads and she was nervous about the cruddy wipers. So in the middle of removing the old RainX wipers and before I popped the new ones on, I left one of the wiper arms up. In such a hurry to swap these out, I knocked it with my elbow, and it slammed back down on the glass (without the wiper blade attached), leading to a ginormous smash, a football-sized spiderweb crack, and a string of expletives from me. So what should have a 10 minute job and $40 worth of new wipers will now turn into an entirely new windshield .....

Did exactly the same thing with my Boxster (pre-911) a day before my trip from Virginia Beach to Iowa with about a million other things to take care of instead of trying to get the windshield repaired the same day.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:23 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 567 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by North Shore 911

Old 07-24-2017, 06:12 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

This is one of the better threads. Several I am guilty of. Wrong key in a buddies Porsche. Hood up with wiper up.

I was going to write of my most recent mishap but was a newbie to the 911 world and was too embarrassed, well I'm not now.

I have a motive power bleeder. It is like 6 years old. Recently used it on the Boxster. I went to do the 911 and a hose broke. It sprayed all over my fender and the back of my Cayenne. Mad scramble to clean it up with my favorite microfiber towel .
Of course I didn't give up. I fixed the break my cutting the piece off and went at it again...but I didn't wrap it with an old towel thinking "oh I'm good"...NOPE it happened again! this time it sprayed the other way. Big cleanup which ended with me throwing it in the garbage.
Once I calmed down I took it out and ordered new hoses. I will give it another try but I WILL always wrap it all with old bath towels.
I did need a drink after this, my nerves were shot.
I know I have other mishaps but painful memories are the first to go.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:04 PM
silentsod
4th Gear

Originally Posted by david
Does opening the frunk when the windshields wipers were up count as stupidity?!

Let's my error be your lesson...
I did the same thing after a car wash. I was cleaning the underside of the frunk and didn't think about the wipers still being up. No damage and the paint from the wiper arms buffed right off but it was embarrassing.

Quick Reply: Stupid Things Done to your 997