Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid Things Done to your 997

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 05:30 PM
lurchphil
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

My stupid moment occurred when I replaced the oil filter on my LN engineering upgrade, (great product), on my 2008 911S. I had done several oil changes with the upgrade without incident. However, I removed the Mobil 1 oil filter, (one of those recommended for the LN), and failed to notice that the old filter gasket had not come off with the old filter. Two filter gaskets are NOT better than one! Thankfully, it had been raining and I noticed an oil sheen on my driveway. I had driven less than 5 miles - enough to pump out about 3 quarts. I took a look at the old filter I had removed and saw no gasket. When I removed the new filter, the second gasket was still attached. You can bet I didn't make that mistake again.

Phil
Old 11-24-2016, 09:13 PM
blakecam
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Stuck my Toyota key in my 997 ignition and the thing actually turned and got stuck. Pulled the Toyota key out of the ignition but the Porsche key was then locked out. I was in panic mode until I did some research on this forum (surprisingly, others have made the same mistake) and figured out that all I had to do was reinsert the Toyota key and turn back to the off position. All was back to normal, but I sure felt stupid.
Old 11-25-2016, 09:31 PM
Irisheyes
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got rain on mine today. Never coming out of the garage again!
Old 11-26-2016, 04:26 AM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a couple to share: (#idiotpride)

I had my stock Carrera Classic wheels refinished and the guys did a crappy job. Powder coated right over the weights in the barrels, etc - brought them back and they stripped them and tried again. All in it was about $750 and took a few days. They never got the color right but I didn't want to keep working with them.

Flash forward 6 months and some of the finish started chipping off, looked like some curbing but the paint was just chipping off - and also some of the spokes started to show a little orange peeling and little cracks under the clear coat. At this time I figured it would be better to just buy a new set of carrera classics and use the refinished ones for track or spares. I kept the new ones wrapped in the garage for almost a year waiting for the right cycle on my tires, figured I'd swap all four when it was time for all new tires.

Day three with the new wheels pulling in to work, I dipped to the right a little to let some girls walking my way in the middle of the parking lot pass, and curbed my passenger rear wheel on the bulging red curb alongside the building. (Stoked)

Another one, I was vacuuming the interior with my shop vac. I've got an Akita mix that just sheds all over in the back. I got into it with the vacuum and was getting the nooks and crannies in the center console- one quick swipe over the console behind the shifter and managed to suck the "passenger airbag" light assembly right out of the console. Adding insult to injury, it jammed into the narrow wand of the shop vac. I tried to tap it out, no luck. Got a screw driver to push it out, and snapped the little thing in half. (Cool!)

Next:
My frunk switch stopped working so I went and got a new one. Before replacing it, I spent a little time investigating the switch, and got it to work again. All was fine and I was going to return the unopened switch to the dealer. Got to work and popped the frunk to pull out my windshield sunscreen, and snapped the frunk switch right off with my powerful index finger. (At least I had the spare part on board!)

Fingers crossed, no more stupid for a little while...
Old 11-26-2016, 09:55 AM
secondshot
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by daddyscar
Stupid Thing #1: Our Toyota and Honda use regular unleaded. Was spacing out one afternoon and put about a quarter tank of regular unleaded in the 911. Filled the rest with super unleaded and was extra sensitive for knocking sounds in 2nd gear for a couple weeks.

Stupid Thing #2: Wearing Nike new running pants that were just like my other ones except these had a lower pocket on the right leg. Walked up to my 911 and rubbed zipper of lower pockets right against the car. Now there is a short fine white line to remind me about it.
This one is easy to fix...I just learned how to use compound and polish. It's easy and may take out your little scratch. If it didn't go through the clear coat, it is super easy. You may need to use a little 3000grit (actually use non-grit) wetsand material. There are a couple of good videos i used to help me. Good luck.
Old 11-27-2016, 02:34 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,775 Likes on 1,756 Posts

Hooked the jumper cables backwards while jumping my wifes Volvo. The owners manual was wrong and I, despite 100% knowing better, followed it. Luckily I noticed the smoke, and that the cables were hot as hellll. Only blew a 30A fuse.

Leaned on the front of the car while on jackstands sans motor & tranny - front of the car dipped down, but luckily didn't come off the stands, whew!

Put the chain tensioner in backwards after an engine out reseal. A valve or two made a heck of a racket on start up. took the motor back out and triple checked the timing before figuring out what it was. Luckily I could remove/install it correctly without removing the motor AGAIN.

Dinged up a lobster fork wheel similarly to previous post.

Pulled forward through a parking space running over one of those concrete bumper/dividers slamming the frame as I went over. 95 degree summer day, and I had to roll around on the asphalt to be sure nothing was leaking before I drove to the shop to put it up on a lift.

Hung a half a tire over the edge of the pavement around one of my favorite corners only to find a very sharp edge of a driveway which cut two tires and broke two wheels. Yey!!! New wheels!!!

The one I am least proud of is backing my 964 out of the garage into my 997. Two for one fark up! Just the plastic bumpers made contact and it will mostly buff out.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:52 PM
mattyf
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
Default dumbest for sure

A six pack plus into the evening I decide it's a good time to bleed the brakes. My garage has sh*t all for lights so I usually use portables and put them where I'm working. I pop the frunk and hook the power bleeder up using the frunk light and put the portable light on the caliper. I pump almost a whole bottle of brake fluid in, but the pressure doesn't seem to increase much. I crack the bleeder valve on the caliper and no fluid comes out.

Grab the light and moved to the frunk to check out what was wrong... yep I filled the windshield reservoir with a whole bottle of ATE super. They use the same size cap and in the dark and drunk I had them swapped. Whoops!

Next day I pulled the reservoir, cleaned it good and flushed the lines. It's a pain to get to since you have the remove the wheel well. I guess it's better I didn't flush my brakes with windshield wiper fluid
Old 11-27-2016, 11:46 PM
911searcher
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Let my son eat in it.
Tear up the front seat with his hockey bag.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:18 PM
hind
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 7 Posts

Opened my fuel cover with my left hand and the flap whipped open and smacked my watch... nice little dent there now.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:23 PM
07CarreraS
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 64 Posts

My son was sleeping in the house and I had to pick my wife up at the airport around midnight. Instead of starting my 07' C2S in the garage and possibly waking my son, I popped the clutch and rolled it backwards using my left leg to push it back. As it started rolling (door was still ajar as I was using my foot to push it out while sitting in the car) I went to go hit the brake before the door hit the side of the garage and I hit the clutch instead which of course didn't stop it. I had to replace the door glass since it shattered (most the tint held the glass) and have love scratches on the leather door from the glass. Never again!
Old 11-29-2016, 12:27 PM
upier
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While walking by the 997.2 I dropped a socket on the frunk lid. Nice little Dent.

On my air cooled I broke part of the C on the engine lid while waxing. That was 20 years ago. I just bought a new badge last week.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:31 PM
Berosucci
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Irisheyes
I got rain on mine today. Never coming out of the garage again!
Mine is sitting in the rain right now.

First wash in over 6 weeks .
Old 11-29-2016, 04:09 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,823 Likes on 886 Posts

Previous owner put something too big in the frunk as there was a dent from the inside. Had the dealer repair it before delivery.

I was rolling my all-season mounted stock tuning-fork wheels into the basement for summer storage, and one fell over on the brick pavers and scratched. I now keep a sheet of foam between them when off the car. Lesson learned.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:28 PM
RaidersR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great to see some of the responses here. Some were unfortunate that's for sure. At least we all learn from them and new owners can learn what NOT to do!!
Old 12-03-2016, 10:54 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 577 Likes on 345 Posts

Lolll great story Bruce thanks for sharing

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
I waxed my Boxster with leather conditioner. Yep..... the whole car. Before you dismiss me to dork farm, there is a story. Zaino. With Zaino you squirt out their polymer stuff into a separate little bottle where you then add a few drops of a hardener. Well back then, Zaino would use the exact same bottle for various products... and both the bottle and product look exactly the same.... or at least pretty darn similar.... So...... When you apply, you don't buff in like wax, you just wipe in on fast. So will one quick mistake, I waxed the car with leather conditioner mixed with a bit of some hardener stuff. At first I crapped.... then I laughed. So some Dawn and hot water took it right off. Peace Bruce in Philly

Quick Reply: Stupid Things Done to your 997