Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid Things Done to your 997

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 05:48 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had my old custom Rothmans painted RC51 Honda in the back of the garage at my old place. I pulled in my old 964 a little too close and blamo. Knocked it over with my Porsche. Thank the maker, my lazy kids piled up a nice cushion of dirty laundry for it to fall on. No damage to either vehicle. I propped the bike back on its stand and never said a word.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:53 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

Does opening the frunk when the windshield wipers were up count as stupidity?!

Let's my error be your lesson...

Last edited by david; 07-24-2017 at 07:30 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-23-2016, 12:37 PM
bdiamond001
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Dropped a ski boot from the attic in my garage directly on right fender of my 996 Targa. Nice bowl size dent. Fortunately it was on the right and I didn't have to see it often. Traded car a month later for a 997. It was just one more reason to upgrade.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:58 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dbv1
LED tail lights are my biggest regret too. What a pain. I didn't want to install any resistors so every time I turned on the rear fog lamps, I'd get a warning in the dash that would just stay on even after you restart the car. If that wasn't enough, the left turn signal started giving the dash warning too while appearing to work perfectly fine. That's normal apparently, so the seller suggested I install the resistors on the turn signal wires. That's when I removed them and went back to stock lights. What a waste of time.
Your 5 minutes must be very precious b/c that is how long it takes me to removed the lights, plug in the resistors and re-installed them. Personally I love them, gives it a more modern look compared to the OEM which looks very outdated as well as not bright enough.
Old 11-23-2016, 01:08 PM
caitov
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by david
Does opening the frunk when the windshields wipers were up count as stupidity?!

You can take solace in the fact you're not alone on that one....
Old 11-23-2016, 01:33 PM
FlaHeel
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by caitov
You can take solace in the fact you're not alone on that one....
Out of 4 911's I think I have done this on 3, some worse than others.
Old 11-23-2016, 01:36 PM
Berosucci
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does this count?

Attended my first HPDE. Got the dreaded "Emergency Transmission Run" alert on the dash (in red lights) while on the track. had it looked at and reprogrammed.

Decided to attend more DEs next year to see if it happens again .
Old 11-23-2016, 02:15 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Not on my 997 but my Boxster. Just purchased new Litronic headlights, installed and took car for a spin.
Approached a red light under heavy braking and watched the passenger side headlight fly out and cross the intersection I was stopped at. No cars hit it but it was badly damaged.

Moral to the story, make sure you really hear that audible CLICK when you snap in your headlights.
Old 11-23-2016, 05:42 PM
Tsilnner
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by david
Does opening the frunk when the windshields wipers were up count as stupidity?!

I must admit I have done that twice, resulting in the need for some touch-up paint...
Old 11-23-2016, 05:52 PM
Tsilnner
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

This is a small one but I'll bet that I am not the first owner who broke part of the logo on the engine lid off while dusting or drying their cars.

A fast fix and the dealer, and a lot cheeper that mistakes I have made with other cars...
Old 11-23-2016, 06:28 PM
ecostellodo
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Parked my other car outside right behind the garage door. Went to work in the Porsche the next morning and backed into the other car. Only a few scratches on the bumperette. Scared the crap out of me when the car stopped suddenly with a loud bang.
Old 11-23-2016, 06:46 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,465 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Tsilnner
This is a small one but I'll bet that I am not the first owner who broke part of the logo on the engine lid off while dusting or drying their cars.

A fast fix and the dealer, and a lot cheeper that mistakes I have made with other cars...
I've been there too!
Old 11-24-2016, 01:05 AM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 135 Posts

Didn't jack it up correctly, heard a loud "thunk", dented a small piece of the rocker panel in the front.

Hit a pot hole coming in too hot on a turn with members from here, bent rim and tore tire. subsequently "dismissed" from being "asked back". Bummed and embarrassed.

Many of other dumb**** to other cars as well....that's why it's called "PAY attention" LOL
Old 11-24-2016, 01:35 AM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts

Stupid Thing #1: Our Toyota and Honda use regular unleaded. Was spacing out one afternoon and put about a quarter tank of regular unleaded in the 911. Filled the rest with super unleaded and was extra sensitive for knocking sounds in 2nd gear for a couple weeks.

Stupid Thing #2: Wearing Nike new running pants that were just like my other ones except these had a lower pocket on the right leg. Walked up to my 911 and rubbed zipper of lower pockets right against the car. Now there is a short fine white line to remind me about it.
Old 11-24-2016, 11:32 AM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I made and installed the DIY mesh radiator grills a few months ago. When drilling holes for the zipties, I had the plastic chuck of my drill resting on the crosspiece of the radiator opening and ground out a nice nickel sized divot in the plastic. Ground right through the clearbra and paint right into the black plastic.

Quick Reply: Stupid Things Done to your 997