Sponsored by:

My new wheels are here!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 08:52 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,603 Likes on 4,198 Posts

Congrats. Almost nothing changes the look of a car more than the wheels. Can't wait to see them installed.

a light coating of Armor All Wheel Protectant / brake dust repelling spray will make the cleaning much easier. It will flatten the polished look of that part of the wheel just a little, but will keep you from thinking you made a mistake on the wheel choice when it comes time to cleaning them.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:11 PM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 61 Posts

Nice!
I had that type of wheel on my previous 911.
Mine were from Kinesis...
Attached Images  
Old 11-04-2016, 10:43 AM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Congrats. Almost nothing changes the look of a car more than the wheels. Can't wait to see them installed.

a light coating of Armor All Wheel Protectant / brake dust repelling spray will make the cleaning much easier. It will flatten the polished look of that part of the wheel just a little, but will keep you from thinking you made a mistake on the wheel choice when it comes time to cleaning them.
Thanks for the recommendation but it seems that I shouldn't apply any wheel cleaner or brake dust repellent as the wheels are anodized. The wheels came with a warning that they should only be cleaned with warm water and a mild soap.

Originally Posted by Jack667
Nice!
I had that type of wheel on my previous 911.
Mine were from Kinesis...
I looked at those briefly, but I read somewhere that the bolts around the wheel are fake and they tend to fall off?

I also preferred the Tramonts as they are licensed by Porsche so they are truly identical to the Speedlines.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:46 AM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Waiting to be mounted!
Attached Images  
Old 11-04-2016, 01:00 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

looking forward to seeing those on your 997 - cool wheels!
Old 11-04-2016, 01:47 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

BIG problem. The front wheels don't clear the calipers.

It's VERY close to being ok so I just ordered something called a tuner kit from Elephant Racing which has shims in 1mm increments (up to 5mm) to see if it fixes the problem.

I also emailed Tramont to see what they suggest to resolve the issue. I doubt that I'll get a reply before Monday as it is already too late in Europe.

I guess this is part of the risk of being the guinea pig for a set of wheels that haven't been installed on a 997 before.

The shims arrive here tomorrow so I'll keep you guys updated as things develop.

This is soooooo freaking frustrating...
Old 11-04-2016, 01:54 PM
Louis de Funes
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by ATSR
BIG problem. The front wheels don't clear the calipers.

It's VERY close to being ok so I just ordered something called a tuner kit from Elephant Racing which has shims in 1mm increments (up to 5mm) to see if it fixes the problem.

I also emailed Tramont to see what they suggest to resolve the issue. I doubt that I'll get a reply before Monday as it is already too late in Europe.

I guess this is part of the risk of being the guinea pig for a set of wheels that haven't been installed on a 997 before.

The shims arrive here tomorrow so I'll keep you guys updated as things develop.

This is soooooo freaking frustrating...

sorry to hear that

good luck
Old 11-04-2016, 02:00 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,603 Likes on 4,198 Posts

When my car had the original RUF wheels on it, the amount of front wheel clearance of the spoke to the caliper near the hub, was so miniscule, I couldn't believe it actually cleared. I kept thinking as soon as all this stuff gets hot and expands, it's going to become a milling machine, adjusting either the wheel spokes or the caliper edge, but it never happened. I eventually moved on from those wheels when I did my PCCB brake upgrade as there was no way they were going to clear them, plus the PO had chromed them so they were super heavy - dropped 10 lbs per corner when moving to my Champion RS171s.

Anyway, moral of the story is that you don't need much clearance, just clearance. Hope a couple mm is all you need so it doesn't effect the custom offsets you ordered the wheels with as I'm looking forward to seeing these on a 997.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:14 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Petza914
When my car had the original RUF wheels on it, the amount of front wheel clearance of the spoke to the caliper near the hub, was so miniscule, I couldn't believe it actually cleared. I kept thinking as soon as all this stuff gets hot and expands, it's going to become a milling machine, adjusting either the wheel spokes or the caliper edge, but it never happened. I eventually moved on from those wheels when I did my PCCB brake upgrade as there was no way they were going to clear them, plus the PO had chromed them so they were super heavy - dropped 10 lbs per corner when moving to my Champion RS171s.

Anyway, moral of the story is that you don't need much clearance, just clearance. Hope a couple mm is all you need so it doesn't effect the custom offsets you ordered the wheels with as I'm looking forward to seeing these on a 997.
Thanks for your encouraging words Pete, I really appreciate it as my current level of frustration is pretty high as you can imagine. I'm also hoping that 2mm will be enough to clear the calipers and the wheel will still be flush with the fender.

Let's see how it turns out tomorrow afternoon.
Old 11-05-2016, 05:20 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!

I added a 4mm spacer to the fronts and now they clear the calipers. The tire is still completely under the fender. I'm glad I didn't go too aggressive on the front offsets otherwise this wouldn't have worked.

The only question that remains is if I'm still ok with oem length bolts with the 4mm spacers. Anyone know?

Pics to come as soon as it's done.
Old 11-05-2016, 06:06 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 209 Likes on 141 Posts

Those are going to look great.
Old 11-05-2016, 06:58 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Finally some pics. Car is very dirty but I wanted to show the end result. Couldn't be happier!!
Attached Images      
Old 11-05-2016, 07:09 PM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

As expected .... gorgeous!!
Old 11-05-2016, 07:27 PM
Batman33
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Smokin'! Glad they ended up working out.
Old 11-05-2016, 07:29 PM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 133 Posts

Damn.. honestly I didn't think those would go well on the newer body style. Obviously wrong... car looks fantastic. Nice work!!
The following users liked this post:
funati (04-24-2022)

Quick Reply: My new wheels are here!!!!!!!!!!!