Sponsored by:

My car is TOO Quiet

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 05:18 PM
Surfer2001
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My car is TOO Quiet

I need to hear a little more exhaust note. Are you running stock, or??? I'd love to get some recommendations.

Thanks, Surfer
Old 10-28-2016, 05:59 PM
GT2RSobsessed
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Name:  maxresdefault.jpg
Views: 1426
Size:  50.3 KB
Old 10-28-2016, 06:01 PM
Hilltopper
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Surfer2001
I need to hear a little more exhaust note. Are you running stock, or??? I'd love to get some recommendations.

Thanks, Surfer
FD cans and Fabspeed 200 cel sport cats on both my 993 and 997 and best for me!
Old 10-28-2016, 06:05 PM
Louis de Funes
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 245 Posts

I have a NHP Exhaust Systems from Maxspeed and like it (just the Muffler and 200 cell Cat)
Old 10-28-2016, 06:11 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,417 Likes on 859 Posts

2009 C2S 103K miles

What model and year is your car?

2009, IMO, was a new low point for dumming this car down. It sounds.... um ... I am not sure if it sounds like a Buick Estate wagon era 1975 or a LeBaron of the same vintage.

I am not one for modding up my car but I put on the Sharkwerks cross pipe. Much better.... but still not what it should be. I don't like loud and find the Porsche sport exhausts a bit too much for my tastes ..... just for some perspective.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 10-28-2016, 06:29 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 231 Posts

I'm also not a fan of "modding" especially with a masterpiece like a 911. But Bruce is right, way too muffled form the factory on the 997.2. Now have Sharwerks Center and Fister Cans. Sounds perfect.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:21 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 94 Posts

A very common setup for the 997.2 is Fister/Gundo hack mufflers and a center muffler bypass.

I did the Fister mufflers on mine already and it was a very good improvement, but I still want a bit more so I also purchased the AWE Tuning center muffler bypass pipes (currently waiting for them).

The most common options for the bypass are Sharkwerks, AWE Tuning or Billy Boat bypass pipes which are basically identical.

Fabspeed or NHP are similar but instead of having 2 separate pipes, they have an X pipe.

Next option after that could be the headers with the less restrictive cats.

EDIT: OP, do you have a 997.1 or a .2? It makes a big difference when it comes to the center muffler setup as the .1 has the cats there.

Last edited by ATSR; 10-28-2016 at 11:45 PM.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:48 PM
steveP911
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 217 Posts

I have AWE headers + AWE highflow cats + AWE mufflers (w/OEM tips). FWIW, I am told they sound very good. AWE has a dyno test for that exact configuration on my model (05 997S) showing about 34 hp and 27 ft-lbs addition at the rear wheels.

http://www.awe-tuning.com/awe-997sexhaust
Old 10-28-2016, 10:53 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,463 Posts

It's quite quiet
Old 10-29-2016, 05:00 AM
purrybonker
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Surfer2001

Thanks, Surfer
Yeah, I agree 997s are too quite. But if you're actually referring to the quietness of 997s I have some experience to offer.

I have PSE and installed AWE 200 cell cats a couple of years ago.

I don't know about the claimed power uptick associated with the cats but I can say that the loudness factor is indeed over-the-top for me.

When the tach hits about 4k on full throttle, the AWE cats unleash an ungodly amount of noise that will surely attract the attention of anyone interested in such things (eg cops) within at least a one mile radius.

I never hit the PSE button since installing the cats - way too loud for my taste without PSE let alone hitting that button.

I'm an old grump and regularly curse bikers, Maserati and Ferrari drivers with "look at me" exhaust systems. These kinds of vehicles literally line the streets of my home town.

Each to their own, but I daily pray for and/or lobby my local politicians for enforcement of manufacturer regulations on vehicle DBa output.

Nothing ruins a pleasant afternoon stroll than some ahole ripping up the neighbourhood with a baffleless Harley or a Maserati with exhaust on "loud" setting. (has anyone actually ever seen a Maserati that wasn't being driven with the exhaust set on "loud"?)

My 200 cell cats are soon coming off.

There's so much horsepower and torque rolling around the streets these days I wouldn't race two nuns in a Smart car from a set of lights.

If I'm going to be embarrassed by sisters Louise and Margaret why the hell would I ever want to advertise that I'm on full throttle? Me, I'd prefer to pretend that I wasn't really trying.

Nothing defeats stealth like a screaming exhaust note.
Old 10-29-2016, 05:57 AM
purrybonker
Pro

Actually, I just thought of a recent example of "embarrassment" associated with my loud-ish exhaust.

I was top-down driving a beautiful slow-ish (2nd - 3rd gear), very twisty, shoulderless mountain road (Lillooet to Pemberton for Vancouver locals) this summer with a new WRX STi on my tail.

This is one of the most beautiful and challenging drives anywhere on public roads and we had a clear road with no traffic for almost all of the 90 km (60 mile) distance.

We tucked into gorgeously banked curves with only occasional gravel interference from those that had previously gone too tight and run off the pavement.

Granted - it's easier to follow than lead and this is a road probably better suited for an STi than a 997.

My screaming AWE cats clearly announced my "enthusiasm" and when we stopped for gas at the end of our ridiculously enjoyable run, the WRX driver mentioned how surprised he was that he could "run" with a 911S.

New respect for STis and less respect for loud exhaust found through that whole experience.

Last edited by purrybonker; 10-29-2016 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:09 AM
Berosucci
Advanced

" the WRX driver mentioned how surprised he was that he could "run" with a 911S."

Maybe a few track sessions next year will help with that .
Old 10-29-2016, 01:11 PM
Surfer2001
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ATSR
A very common setup for the 997.2 is Fister/Gundo hack mufflers and a center muffler bypass.

I did the Fister mufflers on mine already and it was a very good improvement, but I still want a bit more so I also purchased the AWE Tuning center muffler bypass pipes (currently waiting for them).

The most common options for the bypass are Sharkwerks, AWE Tuning or Billy Boat bypass pipes which are basically identical.

Fabspeed or NHP are similar but instead of having 2 separate pipes, they have an X pipe.

Next option after that could be the headers with the less restrictive cats.

EDIT: OP, do you have a 997.1 or a .2? It makes a big difference when it comes to the center muffler setup as the .1 has the cats there.
997.2 - 2009 Base Cab
Guys Porsche R&D spends crazy hours developing the sound we all love, and I also don't want to mod the heck out of my car. I just want a little more sound. Perhaps just the center muffler bypass will suffice.
Old 10-29-2016, 01:39 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by GT2RSobsessed

Aint that the truth but it is Rennlist after all. Why search when u can just post.

But I put x51 headers, awe cats and gundo on my rebuild

Originally Posted by purrybonker
Actually, I just thought of a recent example of "embarrassment" associated with my loud-ish exhaust.

I was top-down driving a beautiful slow-ish (2nd - 3rd gear), very twisty, shoulderless mountain road (Lillooet to Pemberton for Vancouver locals) this summer with a new WRX STi on my tail.

This is one of the most beautiful and challenging drives anywhere on public roads and we had a clear road with no traffic for almost all of the 90 km (60 mile) distance.

We tucked into gorgeously banked curves with only occasional gravel interference from those that had previously gone too tight and run off the pavement.

Granted - it's easier to follow than lead and this is a road probably better suited for an STi than a 997.

My screaming AWE cats clearly announced my "enthusiasm" and when we stopped for gas at the end of our ridiculously enjoyable run, the WRX driver mentioned how surprised he was that he could "run" with a 911S.

New respect for STis and less respect for loud exhaust found through that whole experience.
You're right, you are a grumpy old coot

I am sure someone will quickly snap up your cats - I would if I hadn't just purchased some
Old 10-29-2016, 02:33 PM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My car is X51 with PSE, it has a great roar at full throttle, pops and crackles on downshifts and deceleration

Compared to my GT3 it's still pretty tame, but nice

Quick Reply: My car is TOO Quiet