Sponsored by:

Warmed up?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 05:50 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,722 Likes on 4,275 Posts

True, it is just a car, but a car that provides a special driving experience to a lot of us, and one we want to prolong without incurring significant costs or damage that reduces or terminates said enjoyment. Those of us with the .1 cars that have some potential deficiencies are following protocols to mitigate or prevent personally experiencing these potential issues, such as bore scoring, IMS bearing failure, tensioner paddle wear, etc. Not sure about you, but I plan to keep my particular 997 for a very long time since I've spent what, to me, is a lot of money getting it setup just how I want it.

Originally Posted by platinum997
What are we doing here guys.. it's a car, not a rocketship witch some strict operational instructions. It's kind of ridiculous how OCD and specific this has become.

Just treat like any other car and you will be fine. Start the car, drive it.. dont beat the **** out of it until warmed up.
Old 10-28-2016, 05:55 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,646 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by platinum997
What are we doing here guys.. it's a car, not a rocketship witch some strict operational instructions. It's kind of ridiculous how OCD and specific this has become.

Just treat like any other car and you will be fine. Start the car, drive it.. dont beat the **** out of it until warmed up.
+1

I am sick of the rest of you but let's get real.

However....... I did have two Porsche engines blow.... this is virus that stays with you. In general, this has made me careful.... but that is it.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 10-28-2016, 05:57 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,880 Likes on 1,532 Posts

oil warmup lags water warmup, but only by a minute or two... For all intents and purposes, using water temp to monitor warmup is fine as long as you don't go bouncing off the rev limiter the instant the needle moves to the middle. And honestly that would still probably be o.k...
Old 10-28-2016, 06:22 PM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
+1

I am sick of the rest of you but let's get real.

However....... I did have two Porsche engines blow.... this is virus that stays with you. In general, this has made me careful.... but that is it.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
They don't make a penicillin shot for that? Sounds serious and expensive.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:22 PM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
True, it is just a car, but a car that provides a special driving experience to a lot of us, and one we want to prolong without incurring significant costs or damage that reduces or terminates said enjoyment. Those of us with the .1 cars that have some potential deficiencies are following protocols to mitigate or prevent personally experiencing these potential issues, such as bore scoring, IMS bearing failure, tensioner paddle wear, etc. Not sure about you, but I plan to keep my particular 997 for a very long time since I've spent what, to me, is a lot of money getting it setup just how I want it.
Fair point...

Quick Reply: Warmed up?