Sponsored by:

PPI / PDK Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 04:07 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
I'd vote for taking the deal too, I was surprised that you managed to get that much of a break. I personally don't think a lawyer will be of much use other than costing you more money. On the good note, you'll end up with a PDK that will be good for a very long time and you won't have to deal with the pricey 100,000 mile PDK service until the car has 150,000 miles (240,000km) on it.
What's involved in the 100k service?
Old 09-25-2016, 10:02 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by Own Goal
Just saw you on here with the new ride. By the way, my car, your old ride seems to have a just fine PDK still. Enjoying it much!
Hi Jim! I'm glad to hear you and your car are having a good 'ol time.

Originally Posted by Cloudspin
What's involved in the 100k service?
It's not really anything more than changing the gear oil, but when I got the clutch fluid changed the service advisor mentioned that the gear oil was going to be even more expensive... I don't recall for sure but he mentioned a number in the one grand range.

And I notice I got the number wrong for the mileage. It is 12 years/120,000 miles for the PDK gear oil change for mere 911's. If you have a GT3, it is 96k miles and clutch oil every 6 years/48k miles.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:48 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StormRune
It's not really anything more than changing the gear oil, but when I got the clutch fluid changed the service advisor mentioned that the gear oil was going to be even more expensive... I don't recall for sure but he mentioned a number in the one grand range.
Thanks for the input. I have the gear oil changed much more frequently than the Porsche service intervals call for as I do HPDE events in this Florida heat. I was concerned there was something other than gear and clutch fluids due at 100k.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:59 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Cloudspin
Thanks for the input. I have the gear oil changed much more frequently than the Porsche service intervals call for..

How often are you having the gear oil changed?

I'm at 38k on a 2011 GTS.. thinking I'll have the gear oil/clutch fluid done in the next couple thousand miles.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:38 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

I have the Guard Transmission LSD installed in mine and Matt from Guard recommends it be changed every 4 - 6 track days. He and John at BGB also recommend running a tranny fluid pump / cooler setup when using that diff so I have BGB's installed on mine. There is a cockpit mounted switch for the pump and I only run it while on track and when cooling everything down after coming off track.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:07 AM
ramo80
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I gave the dealership the green light to order the new transmission. I will have some more updates about my situation in the near future. I don't want to spill the beans before anything is confirmed. I was wondering if there is anything I should have them do while the transmission is out. I know for my 986 Boxster it was a good idea to have them replace the RMS. That solved a minor oil leak I was having. It only cost me $20 in parts and no labor. Is there anything recommended for my 997.2 while everything is apart?
Old 10-04-2016, 11:39 AM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by ramo80
So I gave the dealership the green light to order the new transmission. I will have some more updates about my situation in the near future. I don't want to spill the beans before anything is confirmed. I was wondering if there is anything I should have them do while the transmission is out. I know for my 986 Boxster it was a good idea to have them replace the RMS. That solved a minor oil leak I was having. It only cost me $20 in parts and no labor. Is there anything recommended for my 997.2 while everything is apart?
coil packs... have them checked.
spark plugs - replace should be cheap
serpentine belt

that pretty much knocks all maintenance out for awhile.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:46 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Note that I'm not personally recommending these...but to help with your question I'm just recommending you look for threads about these and see what you think:

I've seen some threads where people recommend changing the water pump sometime around 50k miles (which is right about 80k kilometers coincidentally). Also, the AOS (air-oil-separator) gets mentioned at times in higher mileage cars.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:58 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 732 Posts

I haven't heard of water pump replacements in the DFI motor ... yet.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:03 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Ah... thanks for the catch Wayne. I blurred the .1 and .2 motors in my head. Maybe the same for AOS? A good search of the forum for those should make it clear.
Old 10-05-2016, 12:50 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
I haven't heard of water pump replacements in the DFI motor ... yet.
I had one on my -09 C4S at around 40K miles. Took the serpentine belt with it too. Just over $1,200 out the door as I recall it. Extended warranty paid it.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:14 PM
ramo80
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright for all of those who were curious I had my transmission replaced and got my car back yesterday. it took about a week and half. I did ended up accepting the 50/50. I didn't let the original dealership that did the PPI do the tranny swap. I ended up taking it to the other dealership that diagnosed the failed tranny. I tried to have them fight further with Porsche Canada to see if I could get a better percentage. They couldn't. I felt like there was a conflict of interest with the first dealership since they wouldn't just say they screwed up the PPI. The grand total bill was $6629 CAD. I feel that's not bad. Porsche refurbished transmission with 2 year warranty. I'm thinking I'm might sell my 09 in the summer after it comes out of storage. I would get a decent price I think with this warranty and maybe starting looking at 2012+ ones.

thanks to all for your input.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:12 AM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 220 Posts

Wow that was really nice of Porsche Canada to step up on a used car that's almost 10 years old and not purchased at a Porsche dealership.

If you are going to look at selling it and getting a 991. With all the money you put into this vehicle...I suggest getting a cpo on the next one
Old 10-21-2016, 05:31 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by ramo80
Alright for all of those who were curious I had my transmission replaced and got my car back yesterday. it took about a week and half. I did ended up accepting the 50/50. I didn't let the original dealership that did the PPI do the tranny swap. I ended up taking it to the other dealership that diagnosed the failed tranny. I tried to have them fight further with Porsche Canada to see if I could get a better percentage. They couldn't. I felt like there was a conflict of interest with the first dealership since they wouldn't just say they screwed up the PPI. The grand total bill was $6629 CAD. I feel that's not bad. Porsche refurbished transmission with 2 year warranty. I'm thinking I'm might sell my 09 in the summer after it comes out of storage. I would get a decent price I think with this warranty and maybe starting looking at 2012+ ones.

thanks to all for your input.
Well done! And I suggest getting a manual transmission in your next Porsche.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:32 PM
Glyndellis
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Yeah, in addition to a 1960s manual transmission, try getting a starting handle and acetylene lamps with a man with a red flag to walk in front of you. You don't want any modern technology.......

Quick Reply: PPI / PDK Issues