Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PPI / PDK Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 12:12 AM
ramo80
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's exactly what I thought. If I trust the EXPERT and I feel like they didn't do everything in their power to help prevent this situation then that's negligence.

I just know if I go the legal route it will cost lots of time and if I fail then I get nothing. I'm just worried they might come back and quote some obscure legal jargon. I also know judges are very inclined to split liability just to be safe.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:45 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by ramo80
That's exactly what I thought. If I trust the EXPERT and I feel like they didn't do everything in their power to help prevent this situation then that's negligence.

I just know if I go the legal route it will cost lots of time and if I fail then I get nothing. I'm just worried they might come back and quote some obscure legal jargon. I also know judges are very inclined to split liability just to be safe.
I agree, tough decisions. At a minimum, I would ask the service manager why they didn't explore the leak further, being aware of the potential cost of a botched diagnosis which is what they delivered. Again, they had to be aware that a large number of PDK problems require replacement so the sloppy approach to the leak on your car is pretty outrageous imo.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:04 AM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

I know the situation is frustrating, but I personally would take the deal.

When you bought the car you were already prepared to spend a thousand on the transmission leak. For the extra $5k CAD ($3800 USD) you are getting a rebuilt transmission with factory fixes/upgrades over the original 09 unit, plus, two years warranty on it!

And essentially, there should be no reason why that transmission doesnt last the life of the car.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes!
Old 09-24-2016, 01:10 AM
exgtinows4
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your troubles. There is some good advice up this page. I would spend the $200 to get some legal advice before taking the decision. In the scheme of things it could save you a lot more and if not its 200 out of pocket and you know you did the best you could.... Hope it works out.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:14 AM
996SPECticle
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cost of PPI and what they said it entailed? A visual inspection and measurement of some wear items?
What level of inspection does it take to confirm this terminal leak?
IF there is truly a TSB published about this you might have a gripe. Take the half price tranny then torch the place or find the techs car and key it. They also stuck their toe out saying "recomend replace cover." I wonder what the story would have been if you had them preform that service, then ooops.
I bet the next PPI they write will read "transmission leak evidenced at pan- recommend you buy a CPO"
Old 09-24-2016, 02:38 AM
ramo80
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 996SPECticle
Cost of PPI and what they said it entailed? A visual inspection and measurement of some wear items?
What level of inspection does it take to confirm this terminal leak?
IF there is truly a TSB published about this you might have a gripe. Take the half price tranny then torch the place or find the techs car and key it. They also stuck their toe out saying "recomend replace cover." I wonder what the story would have been if you had them preform that service, then ooops.
I bet the next PPI they write will read "transmission leak evidenced at pan- recommend you buy a CPO"

you... I like you.... I totally thought of that. And that's what the other dealership said. They said its a good thing I brought it here because if not I would have wasted money on the cover and flush. Also, at that point the first dealership can deny everything. They could have said well you fixed the original leak and this is new. We have nothing to do with that. I have wasted plenty of money on this tranny already. I paid for a clutch fluid flush a month ago and i had to pay for 2 hour labor to inspect it at the second dealer. I'll see if i can find a lawyer and get his advice but I am leaning towards accepting the 50/50. I do like the fact that i would get a 2 year warranty. Bad thing is i would have to keep dealing with this dealership
Old 09-24-2016, 06:23 AM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 996SPECticle
I wonder what the story would have been if you had them preform that service, then ooops.:
The original dealer would simply have told him that they fixed what was leaking and now (4 months later) the car has developed another issue with the transmission. The real problem for the original dealer is that another Porsche dealer is on record saying that their diagnosis was incorrect.
Old 09-24-2016, 07:56 AM
pogo993
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased a 2009 911 60k miles with a new PDK. I spoke with the service Mgr. at the dealership that did the job. He said though out of warranty, porsche paid for the job. On the "deal" I would check with porsche direct. Make sure they are not supplying a trans at no charge and the dealer is F$&@$ng you again....
I do believe porsche dealers are honest for the most part.
... I trust my mom but I still cut the cards...
Good luck at the end of the day you will have a great car...
Old 09-24-2016, 11:26 AM
tuxkilla
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it needs to be clarified what a PPI really is. Its not a diagnostic session, its a general check of the vehicle condition. If a leak was found, the dealer is not going to be willing to move bracketry / etc to continue to diagnose the actual source of the leak.

Last edited by tuxkilla; 09-24-2016 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Reduced Rambling
Old 09-24-2016, 02:07 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ten Years
Cloudspin, can you elaborate on your experience? I think it's good to get first-hand accounts of such experiences.

My 09 had approx 77.5k miles when it failed at a Sebring traffic light a 1/4 mile from a fast food drive thru I sat in for about 20 minutes. I couldn't clear the error with my Durametric. BGB was in town and they tried to reset / reflash it with their PIWIS. The error was "third rod selector failure" or "rod selector three failure", I can't recall which. Multiple PIWIS attempts to clear the error or reset and reflash it were unsuccessful. BGB has extensive experience with PDKs, including converting MT Caymans to PDK so I had them take it to their shop instead of paying to flatbed it back to South Florida to a dealer. In the interim, I called Suncoast to get a feel for what it was going to cost. They told me MSRP was the $8,345 plus a $4,117 core charge. Their parts only price to me was $7100. BGB's got a significantly lower price from their dealer and they only marked it up 20%. Fortunately for me they were slow at that point in time which likely resulted in the attractive pricing. It took 3 weeks to get one from Germany as there were no LSD equipped units in the US. Pricing included Porsche's 2 year parts warranty. BGB put it in, returned the defective one and it has run very well since!

Are you saying there is now recourse beyond having a brand new replacement unit installed, should any owner encounter PDK problems? This is the first that I've read about Porsche (PCNA) remanufactured units.

I believe all that very first replacement PDKs have been remanufacured units. They obviously had to build up an inventory of defective units to rebuild so the first one to years new units were probably provided at the much higher pricing you read about on the forums.

Please advise. Thanks in advance.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:15 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ramo80
So i would be paying 6000 + tax. They would be putting a Porsche re-manufactured transmission in. What do you guys think? Is this a fair deal? Should i pursue this further or is this the best I can do? the dealership obviously said I wouldn't get any better with a car thats out of warranty.
I also would jump on this offer right away. BTW, in some posts it seems like the dealer told you the pan was leaking and in others it is referred to as the cover. The pan on the hydraulic unit can be replaced and I think it has to be on the early ones like my 09 (built in 08). But the cover of the diff section of the PDK isn't available from Porsche - here or in Europe. You have to replace the PDK if there is an issue with that part. You can buy the bolts though but man they are some expensive bolts.

Hope it all works out for you!
Old 09-24-2016, 02:27 PM
SnP
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

In a used car with no warantee youre lucky to get anything.

Jump on the deal.

If you dont like repairs, next time by new or cpo.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:36 PM
996SPECticle
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxkilla
If a leak was found, the dealer is not going to be willing to move bracketry / etc to continue to diagnose the actual source of the leak.
Maybe that should be on the PPI list, .5 hr to remove X to confirm Y.
These are the crux for me. Is it a common enough failure symptom the dealer should have known enough to at least check for it & tell you "maybe maybe not?" Can it be seen or detected by blindly feeling/wiping in the right spots?
Is the fatality caused by a leaking pan, low fluid or possibly from a pressurization/fluid flow drop because of leak?
8 years now and more and more are racking up the miles and falling out of warranty I expect more shops to begin cracking these open and documenting/remedying the methods of failures. I'm a PDK fan and hope to be for many years, only been in two and driven one, me likey
The OP has another choice as well, finding one from a dismantler and have another shop replace could possibly save another couple grand as long as they can reprogram it all.
Old 09-24-2016, 03:45 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

I'd vote for taking the deal too, I was surprised that you managed to get that much of a break. I personally don't think a lawyer will be of much use other than costing you more money. On the good note, you'll end up with a PDK that will be good for a very long time and you won't have to deal with the pricey 100,000 mile PDK service until the car has 150,000 miles (240,000km) on it.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:00 PM
Own Goal
Team Owner

Received 2,322 Likes on 1,395 Posts

Just saw you on here with the new ride. By the way, my car, your old ride seems to have a just fine PDK still. Enjoying it much!

Quick Reply: PPI / PDK Issues