Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PPI / PDK Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 07:23 PM
verboten
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have noticed that more and more Dealers will not do PPIs. It's probably because they have been found liable for circumstances the same or similar to yours. That said, the PPI dealer is culpable. I would bring it to their attention and ask them to repair. If they laugh, let them know you will be seeking legal counsel. If they work with you, split the cost or better and save yourself a lot of heartache.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:57 PM
ramo80
Intermediate

OK here is what the happened when i took the car to the Porsche dealership that did the PPI. They agreed that the transmission is on its way out. They said it could have been missed at PPI. They didn't out right admit to it but said many things can happen to hide problems. They ended up contacting Porsche Canada and they agreed to split the bill in half with me. The original bill was 12000 + tax. So i would be paying 6000 + tax. They would be putting a Porsche re-manufactured transmission in. What do you guys think? Is this a fair deal? Should i pursue this further or is this the best I can do? the dealership obviously said I wouldn't get any better with a car thats out of warranty.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:01 PM
ramo80
Intermediate

Originally Posted by verboten
I have noticed that more and more Dealers will not do PPIs. It's probably because they have been found liable for circumstances the same or similar to yours. That said, the PPI dealer is culpable. I would bring it to their attention and ask them to repair. If they laugh, let them know you will be seeking legal counsel. If they work with you, split the cost or better and save yourself a lot of heartache.
I did contact other dealers before purchase and they said this exact thing. They said they had many issues in the past with people coming back with blown engines or bad trannys and its hard to prove if the damage was done before or after purchase

My case is different. They claimed my transmision is leaking from the pan. took it somewhere else 4 month later and they said the pan is perfectly fine and its leaking from an area that indicate tranny failure. So its not like the pan was leaking then stopped leaking then i trashed the tranny.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:04 PM
verboten
Racer

As I thought the dealer would do. This is a great deal, do it now!

With any luck, the value of the 997's will go up like 993's and you will be way ahead of the game - with a new PDK on a 80k mile car.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:05 PM
syzygy333
Racer

I would run the whole matter by a no win/no fee (if possible) attorney before moving on that 50/50 split
Old 09-23-2016, 08:07 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ramo80
OK here is what the happened when i took the car to the Porsche dealership that did the PPI. They agreed that the transmission is on its way out. They said it could have been missed at PPI. They didn't out right admit to it but said many things can happen to hide problems. They ended up contacting Porsche Canada and they agreed to split the bill in half with me. The original bill was 12000 + tax. So i would be paying 6000 + tax. They would be putting a Porsche re-manufactured transmission in. What do you guys think? Is this a fair deal? Should i pursue this further or is this the best I can do? the dealership obviously said I wouldn't get any better with a car thats out of warranty.
Fair deal. Does the re-manufactured unit come with a warranty?
Old 09-23-2016, 08:08 PM
verboten
Racer

Do not waste your time, your fees to the attorney would be at least $6k not to mention the aggravation to you have to deal with this for the next 3 months or more to settle.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:14 PM
ramo80
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rickdogg82
Fair deal. Does the re-manufactured unit come with a warranty?
2 year unlimited KM/miles warranty
Old 09-23-2016, 08:22 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,208 Likes on 775 Posts

To me, this sounds very fair. I would jump on it before anyone changes their mind.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:29 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds fair to me since they could of told you to go pound sand.
Take it and move on and count it as a lesson learned.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:39 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

take it before they change their minds. They must be a good honest dealership, I would give them all my business. Every part bought from porsche , that they install has a 2 yr warrantee, unless a engine or trans has more
Old 09-23-2016, 09:01 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

When they do a PPI they have lists to tick off of dozens of items if working or defective. What does your paperwork from the PPi say about the PDK section ?
Old 09-23-2016, 09:06 PM
ramo80
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mumbles
When they do a PPI they have lists to tick off of dozens of items if working or defective. What does your paperwork from the PPi say about the PDK section ?
It said "Transmission leak - recommended to replace transmission cover."
Old 09-23-2016, 09:20 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

I don't know what else you could of done mate. Bit of a grey area there, I believe that they told you what they thought was the problem upon completion of the PPI but it turned out worse than expected.

Expensive cars to repair big ticket items. But 80kms is not a lot on a $100k car unless its been beaten.
Did you get a service record for your car upon purchase ?

I think your kinda stuck unless you run it by a lawyer. It may be worth $ 200
If your lawyer finds the dealership responsible who did the PPI, it may be worth showing the dealership the legal findings and possibly get a further reduction about replacing the PDK.

Bottom line is that you paid for an extensive dealership inspection. How accurate they have to be or to what degree is possibly another matter.
6K is a good deal for a refurbished unit, but its your hard earned and I would cover all my bases before I'd fork out the cash.

I recon a calm head would get you the best outcome

Good luck tho

Last edited by Mumbles; 09-23-2016 at 10:41 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:50 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

It said "Transmission leak - recommended to replace transmission cover."
I won't comment on the 50/50 split they're offering you since that has to be your decision. They were negligent though in my opinion. A Porsche dealership has to be aware that a large number of PDK problems require outright replacement and can't be repaired. With upwards of $14,000 at stake, they clearly should have spent more time finding out what exactly was going on here. And if they for whatever reason couldn't determine that with 100% certainty they should have told you so. What you describe almost comes across as lazy and indifferent. There was transmission fluid on the bottom of the pan so the pan must be leaking...

Quick Reply: PPI / PDK Issues