Sponsored by:

PSE question

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 10:36 PM
yashagrawal
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PSE question

I have a MY 2009 C4S and am putting in a PSE exhaust at the dealer. My question is are there any parts from the old exhaust that I could collect from the dealer and sell to reduce my overall costs for the install. I am thinking of the old cans and the exhaust tips. However, I read somewhere that on the S model, only a central muffler is replaced, so I cant sell the old cans.

Thanks
Old 09-20-2016, 11:46 PM
exgtinows4
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I am.looking to buy a center muffler....
Old 09-21-2016, 02:42 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by yashagrawal
I have a MY 2009 C4S and am putting in a PSE exhaust at the dealer. My question is are there any parts from the old exhaust that I could collect from the dealer and sell to reduce my overall costs for the install. I am thinking of the old cans and the exhaust tips. However, I read somewhere that on the S model, only a central muffler is replaced, so I cant sell the old cans.

Thanks
Nope. Just the opposite. Side mufflers are different and the center muffler stays. Friendly suggestion. Buy a set of crossover pipes (various brands to choose from) and sell the center muffler to the guy in post # 2 who's actually willing to pay for it.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:16 PM
GT2RSobsessed
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

To reduce costs even more, Pass on the PSE and get Fister or Gundo hacked side cans. Then replace the center muffler with aftermarket (your choice, but I went with Sharkwerks). You'll have plenty of great sound for a fraction of the price of PSE.
Old 09-24-2016, 05:21 PM
yashagrawal
Racer

OK, I added the PSE at the dealer (old cans available for sale, see classifieds). A few questions.
The owner manual says to switch it on, just press the exhaust button...is that it. I dont hear any major difference from inside the car with the windows closed, frankly I am disappointed wth the marginal if any increase in sound that is heard inside the car. Is this normal...I am a little concerned because the mechanic took 2 days plus to install it and am not sure if he did it right. Previously, I read somewhere that one needs to press the Sport button to switch it on ?... Is there any relationship or requirement to press the sport button too ?. I do have sport chrono in my car.

Thanks..
Old 09-24-2016, 07:34 PM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You should just be able to press the exhaust button. At least I can on my 2009 with Sport Chrono. And there is definitely a difference when PSE is engaged.

Try unplugging the solenoid in the engine compartment that actuates the flaps. Unplugged, the exhaust should be loud all of the time. The connector is on the right side of the engine, on top.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/a...8&d=1311227407

Alternatively, look under the car while someone presses the dash button and see if the lever is opening and closing the flaps.
Old 09-24-2016, 08:33 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

seems to me the pse is a waste of money. it doesnt provide any performance advantage, costs alot of money, only purpose is to sound louder sometimes. I would buy exhaust parts that make hp, improve exhaust flow. Sounds good all the time.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:38 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

OK, I added the PSE at the dealer (old cans available for sale, see classifieds). A few questions.
The owner manual says to switch it on, just press the exhaust button...is that it. I dont hear any major difference from inside the car with the windows closed, frankly I am disappointed wth the marginal if any increase in sound that is heard inside the car. Is this normal...I am a little concerned because the mechanic took 2 days plus to install it and am not sure if he did it right. Previously, I read somewhere that one needs to press the Sport button to switch it on ?... Is there any relationship or requirement to press the sport button too ?. I do have sport chrono in my car.

Thanks..
Same old question every time this comes up: Do you still have the factory center muffler? If you do, there's your problem.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:07 AM
yashagrawal
Racer

Thanks, yes, the center muffler is still there. After reading how glorious the PSE sounds, I have to say not everything on the web is true. At this stage the least expensive option is to add the sharkwerks bypass, any other options to consider ?. Now that I have spend 4K on the PSE, anything I add must work with the PSE and be switchable.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:06 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

Having read a lot about this over time and having added PSE to a 997.2, the general opinion seems to be that the 997.2 PSE is much tamer than the 997.1 or 991 ones. On a 997.2 a center bypass or x-pipe is also needed for the PSE to make a big difference when switched on or off. Since the 997.1 and 997.2 models are all in one forum, it can lead to confusion as to which PSE version people are talking about and what is needed to get that sound.

On my 997.2 I wasn't happy until I had both. So I guess I'm sorry to say that you'll probably need to spend several hundred more to get the more glorious sound at this point.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:17 AM
yashagrawal
Racer

Thanks one more question, on the 997.2 PDK with sport chrono, after the PSE has been added, does pressing the Sport button switch on the PSE. I am reading on the web that it does, but that might be with the older cars. On my own car, the only way to switch on the PSE is by pressing the PSE button.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:46 AM
exgtinows4
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I may have a sharkwerks for sale of you want one... In fact I am looking to get a oem centre muffler in trade...Pm me
Old 09-26-2016, 09:24 AM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks one more question, on the 997.2 PDK with sport chrono, after the PSE has been added, does pressing the Sport button switch on the PSE. I am reading on the web that it does, but that might be with the older cars. On my own car, the only way to switch on the PSE is by pressing the PSE button.
Yes, pressing the SPORT or SPORT PLUS buttons should turn on PSE. It will also set PASM to sport mode, if your car has PASM.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:38 AM
2011-sy-carreras
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kcheves
Yes, pressing the SPORT or SPORT PLUS buttons should turn on PSE. It will also set PASM to sport mode, if your car has PASM.

I actually installed PSE on my 997.2 PDK 2011 C2S with sports chrono last year. Pressing the sport, or sport plus button, does not turn PSE on with the Sports Chrono package. I am told PSE does turn on when installed at the factory, but not as a add-on at the dealer, or other installer.

But from my perspective, I like the idea of it being independent. I do drive many times in Sport mode and do not want the sport exhaust on. It is easy enough to just hit the button on, or off to work PSE when I am looking for that deeper exhaust sound. I also have the Sharkwerks center x-pipe installed and have a decent exhaust sound with PSE off.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:32 AM
Smitten
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

In my case, turning on PASM Sport does NOT activate PSE. The 2 are independent on a 2011.
Relevant options are:
030 - PASM SPORT SUSPENSION
176 - Sport Exhaust System
640 - Sport Chrono Package Plus
P17 - Sports Suspension

220 - Limited Slip Rear Differential Lock
24951 - Carpet in deviating color
25231 - Seat Inlays Front Seats Alcantara
342 - Heated Seats (Front)
421 - 19" 911 Turbo II Wheel
680 - BOSE(R) Surround Sound System
911 - Model Designation “911"