Sponsored by:

On verge of picking up a 2009 911 4S!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 01:58 PM
speedracerf4i
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by OKB
I would look for a 1 owner car with under 20k mi, from a local dealer that sold the car, with no funny history. I would only buy a car with cpo also. Theres plenty of them. check porsche cpo inventory
It seems to me that most low-mileage cars with multiple owners are OK to buy, if not better. The main reason for the trade tend to be with the under-use by the owners. I would be apprehensive if this was a Honda Accord or any other main stream cars, as people tend to drive them a lot more. An Accord with 5 previous owners at 22K miles is a receipt for disaster.

I bought my 2009 C4S last February with 14K miles with 2 previous owners, still with the original tires. The car passed PPI and there was no accident on record or physically detected. I now have only put 5,000 miles on it so if I were to sell it now, this car would already have 3 previous owners. I don't see why the next owner for my car should have anything to worry as I baby it more than I should.

You can't expect to marry a virgin now a days anymore... So although there are many used examples of 997's out there, finding one with your desired options, budget, colors...etc may be difficult. Just like a fine woman, a little compromise is necessary as a perfect one doe not exist.

Last edited by speedracerf4i; 09-16-2016 at 02:26 PM.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:05 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

My 997S was on it's 3rd owner with only 10,038 miles. The car was in mint condition so I bought it. 7 years later and now approaching 90,000 miles on the odometer it's been flawless - love this 911.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:18 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,208 Likes on 775 Posts

My 2010 C4S PDK started in Hawaii. It was one that Porsche pushed on the dealer. It included a heated steering wheel. It was originally sold in Northern California, meeting the criteria of the first owner's search. It subsequently sold to a second owner before I acquired stewardship. Technically it has been a SF Bay Area car its entire life regardless of its brief time off the mainland.

My point is in the first sentence ... these cars are unicorns, and when you find yours, it doesn't matter where you ship it from (albeit some cases are more extreme). I wouldn't worry about the Hawaii side of things. To me that says it is a special car that someone cared deeply for.

But still, get a PPI and do your homework.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:50 PM
ThewhippetsS5
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tomc_mets
Welcome to the madness. The +1 rule of 911 shopping is, if you don't want to buy one, don't test drive it!!
Agreed! Made that mistake :P

I'm going to echo what everyone else has said. If the PPI checks out, then go for it! High amount of owners isn't so abnormal as you'd think for these cars.

Also, post pics of the car!
Old 09-17-2016, 02:25 PM
orange260z
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sadcaper
Hi all-

Been looking at cars for awhile now, and actually had my heart set on a Maserati Granturismo. However, a local 911 4S popped up in my search and I decided to go drive it.

Well, game over. Wow what a car. So much fun to drive. I didn't really know much about it, but after researching a bit it's got the PDK and Sport Chrono package which is great! I went and drove the Granturismo after the 911 which was a mistake. It drove nice, exhaust was great and interior was a step up in terms of luxury...but it didn't "click" with me the way the Porsche did. I felt like the 911 was an extension of my body on the road...if that makes sense.

Just wanted to say hey to the board and show my excitement!
I completely get your feelings!

Although I've owned several other Porsches over the years, last summer I was looking mainly at the Jaguar F-Type V6S, and the main decision I was considering was coupe or convertible. I LOVE the way these cars look and sound - they are just pure SEX.

Then I decided to take a friend's 996 for a drive, and it reminded me of everything I love about these cars. They just feel right. Two months later I ended up with my 2009 C2S PDK/SC, which I feel is a much better executed "everyday supercar".
Old 09-18-2016, 12:22 AM
Cysco
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Who cares how many owners a car has had if it checks out with a PPI? Especially if it has low miles. A lot of people buy 911s and drive them a few thousand miles or less a year. They also tend to swap out cars frequently.

If the thing checks out clean, I'd pounce on it. the 997.2 C4S is an epic ride. Well sorted ones are pretty rare. Don't worry about a CPO warranty either. You can get an aftermarket warranty that will be every bit as good as a CPO warranty for a lot less money.

Good luck!

Oh, and the Maserati Granturismo is a cool car to think about owning, but I doubt you'd actually enjoy owning it. the 911 is a car you can actually own without worrying about the what ifs. 997.2 cars are incredibly reliable and you really can drive them all day, every day.

Last edited by Cysco; 09-18-2016 at 12:31 AM. Reason: one more thought
Old 09-18-2016, 05:08 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by OKB
I would look for a 1 owner car with under 20k mi, from a local dealer that sold the car, with no funny history. I would only buy a car with cpo also. Theres plenty of them. check porsche cpo inventory
Help me understand this thing about the a one owner car being such an important criteria. Comes up all the time and I admit I don't get it. When I shopped for my first 997 I looked at a one owner -06 C4S that I swear had been lived in by the current owner. Just a disaster inside with tobacco stench, various fast food left overs on the floors and a cat rolled up on the passenger side floor board. I doubt it had ever been washed on the outside either. The one I ended up buying had 3 owners and was a brand new car for all intents and purposes.

Quick Reply: On verge of picking up a 2009 911 4S!