Oil Level Indicator

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 02:24 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,595 Likes on 4,193 Posts

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
Because it's not formulated for track days. The temps get too high and the oil breaks down. I have used JG's racing oils like XP5 or XP6 with good results. This all comes from talks and directives from Jake Raby.

Here is some info. http://lnengineering.com/products/dr...12-quarts.html Scroll all the way down.
Cool. Thanks. I'm running DT40 in both my 997s after discussions with Jake and Charles, and looking at UOAs over the past few years on both cars using Mobil 1 and Motul xcess. I don't track them, but was just curious.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:41 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by syzygy333
hellabuggin, your explanation is of someone else's preference. he may be knowledgeable but methinks Porsche engineers aren't any less so? so that means one independent has preference and so does the actual manufacturer. which includes engineers and scientists.

that still doesn't qualify your statement that Porsche's recommendation of mobil 1 has not a lot to do with it being right for the engine!
"Porsche uses mobil 1 for many reasons, it being best is far from the top of the list"
You're right. I haven't analyzed samples in a lab myself. I can only develop opinions based on research done by others.

If you're happy with Mobile 1, enjoy it. Keep in mind that in 2005 Porsche also suggested you only change your oil every 20k miles. Was it for the betterment of the car?

Let's be honest, some guy on this forum who's sign in is "Hella-Buggin'" is in no way "damning to Porsche".
Old 09-13-2016, 09:22 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I personally have done UOA on Mobil 1 5W-40, Motul xcess 8100 5W-40, and Driven DT40 and in the non Driven samples, the TAN and TBN numbers showed breakdown of the anti-wear additive package and viscocity reduction in as few as 4,000 and 4,500 miles. The Mobil 1 was worse than the Motul, which was worse than the DT40. Also, keep in mind that using what's recommended in your 997.1 manual is 9-12 year old information, doesn't factor in advances that have been made in synthetic lubricants during that time, or government regulations that have made the oil companies reduce the levels of Zinc & Phosphorous in the mass produced oils. sygyzy, you can do what you like, but blindly following a lubricant recommendation for a sensitive engine such as the M96/M97 when there has been detailed lubricant and wear analysis done that clearly shows there are better options available seems like an uninformed way to go.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:51 AM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
I personally have done UOA on Mobil 1 5W-40, Motul xcess 8100 5W-40, and Driven DT40 and in the non Driven samples, the TAN and TBN numbers showed breakdown of the anti-wear additive package and viscocity reduction in as few as 4,000 and 4,500 miles. The Mobil 1 was worse than the Motul, which was worse than the DT40. Also, keep in mind that using what's recommended in your 997.1 manual is 9-12 year old information, doesn't factor in advances that have been made in synthetic lubricants during that time, or government regulations that have made the oil companies reduce the levels of Zinc & Phosphorous in the mass produced oils. sygyzy, you can do what you like, but blindly following a lubricant recommendation for a sensitive engine such as the M96/M97 when there has been detailed lubricant and wear analysis done that clearly shows there are better options available seems like an uninformed way to go.
From one Pete to another..well put.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:40 AM
swordsmn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back to the Oil Fill indicator

OK I want to put this nagging (to me) issue to bed:

Would someone post the oil bars at proper FULL and at 1/2 Qtr LOW?
I thought I read that FULL had one segment dark (unfilled) at top but after my Indy has returned the car on last two changes my ambient temp checks (pre-drive) show all bars lit. Am I full or overfilled?
Old 09-13-2016, 10:51 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by swordsmn

I thought I read that FULL had one segment dark (unfilled) at top but after my Indy has returned the car on last two changes my ambient temp checks (pre-drive) show all bars lit. Am I full or overfilled?
Look in your owner's manual - a couple of nice pictures. Based on what you described with the display completely filled you are overfilled...problem is you don't know if the overfill was 0.4 liter (one segment) or if it was more.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:51 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

If the entire window is full, that's overfull. The top half segment should be empty - it should only be full up to the arrow on the left side.

Originally Posted by swordsmn

Quick Reply: Oil Level Indicator