Sponsored by:

Oil Level Indicator

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 05:39 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by NavyHorn
Is there a particular brand of oil that you like, and when/how much do you add, etc.?
RND recommends Joe Gibbs DT40 5W40 synthetic, so that's what I'm using, along with the correct NAPA Gold spin-on filter for the IMS Solution adapter. Prior to the new engine and even when the car was new-to-me CPO I used 5W40, that's what the dealer here uses, as the ambient temp almost never even drops into the 40s, and only for a day or two.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:44 PM
NavyHorn
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Z
RND recommends Joe Gibbs DT40 5W40 synthetic, so that's what I'm using, along with the correct NAPA Gold spin-on filter for the IMS Solution adapter. Prior to the new engine and even when the car was new-to-me CPO I used 5W40, that's what the dealer here uses, as the ambient temp almost never even drops into the 40s, and only for a day or two.
I don't think I'm smart enough to use anything other than what Porsche recommend. The manual says Mobil 1, and for my climate (two seasons--warm and hot), I think I should stick with 5W40. Honestly, I don't think I'll be changing my oil anyway. I'd hate to think what the dealer charges for it, though.

Of course I'll need some on hand for top-ups.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:52 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 203 Posts

I don't think I'm smart enough to use anything other than what Porsche recommend. The manual says Mobil 1, and for my climate (two seasons--warm and hot), I think I should stick with 5W40. Honestly, I don't think I'll be changing my oil anyway. I'd hate to think what the dealer charges for it, though.

Keep in mind that Porsche uses Mobile 1 for many reasons. It being the best is far from the top of the list. My dealer will let me bring in whatever oil I want. Order Motul Xcess with Amazon Prime in the Bulk jugs and be done.

The Joe Gibbs oil is supposed to be awesome but unless you're tracking the car it may not be worth the expense. Also, I could be wrong but I don't think it's on the approved list and may result in warranty issues.

-Mark
Old 09-11-2016, 06:35 PM
NavyHorn
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
Keep in mind that Porsche uses Mobile 1 for many reasons. It being the best is far from the top of the list. My dealer will let me bring in whatever oil I want. Order Motul Xcess with Amazon Prime in the Bulk jugs and be done.

The Joe Gibbs oil is supposed to be awesome but unless you're tracking the car it may not be worth the expense. Also, I could be wrong but I don't think it's on the approved list and may result in warranty issues.

-Mark
Mark,

Thanks for the info. I'm sure you're right about Mobil one being the recommended oil ($). I'd be happy to run something superior as long as it's on the approved list, and won't violate any warranty clauses. I won't be tracking the car so I'll definitely give Motul Xcess a look. I really appreciate it.

-Jay
Old 09-11-2016, 07:24 PM
syzygy333
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you're not a DIY type, definitely let the dealer/indie do your oil change.
it's a simple procedure and is covered with pictures in the DIY section.

I know the 997.1 is covered (filter at bottom of engine) and pretty sure the 997.2 is also (filter housing in top of engine bay), and certainly on you tube.

you said you would hate to see what the dealer charges? if you DIY, you'll save enough for a good dinner for 2, and the sense of satisfaction is there.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:31 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Mark,

I won't be tracking the car so

-Jay
im pretty sure we all said that at one point.
You should at least do a few auto cross and de events to learn to appreciate what the car can do.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:36 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

I'm an idiot. I was reading oil pressure NOT level. Rookie mistake. I guess it makes sense now that it would fluctuate given different variables.

Is there a particular brand of oil that you like, and when/how much do you add, etc.?
Rookie mistake # 2 - asking about favorite motor oil. Near religious debate.

It's natural to freak out about every last thing when it's new. My first drive, Parking light on warning came on when I turned off the engine to gas up. I was on the phone with Porsche Roadside Assistance while wife was Googling RL. Turned out that the turn signal was left in the non-neutral position. Oopsie!
T
Old 09-11-2016, 08:07 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts

I use pennzoil 5w40 untra euro. It is A40 (Porsche approved). Why? At autozone they have a special with 5 quarts and a filter for $30 almost every month. I use the filters on my ther cars and get oil for less than $5/quart. Cheaper than 0w40 at walmart.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:27 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Considering Porsche opted to use a sealed bearing in an application where it's halfway submerged in hot oil, and never reconfigured the cooling or beefed-up the cylinder lining as they continually increased the displacement on the same basic block, leading to the scoring problem, I'm not sure I have as much faith in their oil recommendations as you do. I'm more inclined to follow the recommendation of the guys who have developed workarounds for those issues. YMMV as they say.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:08 AM
syzygy333
Racer

hellabugin, I wonder how you know so much about Porsche's reasons for using mobil 1, and even that the health of the engine is far from the top of that list? I understand advertising=money, and I am as cynical as most on most topics.

not flaming you, just curious on source of that statement, as it is fairly damning of Porsche
Old 09-12-2016, 05:19 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by syzygy333
hellabugin, I wonder how you know so much about Porsche's reasons for using mobil 1, and even that the health of the engine is far from the top of that list? I understand advertising=money, and I am as cynical as most on most topics.

not flaming you, just curious on source of that statement, as it is fairly damning of Porsche
I'm deeply offended :-)

I've been on this site a long time and have seen this topic discussed by far more knowledgeable people than myself in the matter. But a quick search reveals this opinion from a very reputable source, Charles Navarro from LN Engineering.

"WHICH MOTOR OIL DO I (CHARLES NAVARRO) USE?
For cars under warranty, we use primarily Motul 8100 X-Cess 5w40, which is still a mid-SAPS oil with higher Zn and P levels than the low or no-SAPS oils favored by manufacturers for emissions system protection. Both used oil analysis and physical engine teardowns have proven this lubricant to be a superior choice to Mobil 1. Although we are still fans of Brad Penn, outside of warranty, we recommend Joe Gibbs Racing lubricants due to how closely they have worked with Flat 6 Innovations and us in developing their oils for use in Porsche models.

Very important in my consideration of any oils are that they have the proper balance of Zn and P as well as level of detergency. Oils with high detergency need equally high levels of anti-wear additives as well as those oils using Ca-based detergents also need more Zn and P that those oils that use Mg and/or Na detergents.

I do not recommend using ZDDP boosters of any kind."

If you're really interested... You should do a search here for the user "Luxter".
That user is very knowledgeable.

-Mark
Old 09-12-2016, 01:04 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

...........and do not use DT40 for track days...now I feel better for contributing to an oil thread.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:22 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,595 Likes on 4,193 Posts

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
...........and do not use DT40 for track days...now I feel better for contributing to an oil thread.
Curious as to why you say that
Old 09-12-2016, 02:02 PM
syzygy333
Racer

hellabuggin, your explanation is of someone else's preference. he may be knowledgeable but methinks Porsche engineers aren't any less so? so that means one independent has preference and so does the actual manufacturer. which includes engineers and scientists.

that still doesn't qualify your statement that Porsche's recommendation of mobil 1 has not a lot to do with it being right for the engine!
"Porsche uses mobil 1 for many reasons, it being best is far from the top of the list"
Old 09-12-2016, 02:05 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Curious as to why you say that
Because it's not formulated for track days. The temps get too high and the oil breaks down. I have used JG's racing oils like XP5 or XP6 with good results. This all comes from talks and directives from Jake Raby.

Here is some info. http://lnengineering.com/products/dr...12-quarts.html Scroll all the way down.

Quick Reply: Oil Level Indicator