Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do when you turn 60

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 08:07 AM
50footer
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

On 15 August last, I turned 65 an even rounder number that the big 6 Oh. So this 2016 is being a very special year for me and as such, needed to to be addressed in a very special way.
Let me tell you how am I coping with these "difficult times":
1. I have not retired, nor plan to do so in the foreseeable future. Office daily, 9 to 7 except Fridays after lunch time. (occasionally I may take a Monday or the entire Friday off to extend the weekend)
2. I drive, go for a stroll, attend events, courses, practices, as much as I can with my 2014 991 C4S, and this includes hanging out with my Porsche' friends.
3. I convinced 6 months ago a group of friends to start a new company with the purpose of acquiring, updating, restoring and eventually keep as an investment, Porsche 911s. So far we have bought a Black/Black 1989 930, a GT Silver/Blue 1989 Speedster, and a Slate Grey/Black 964. It is a lot of fun and eventually, I am convinced that we will make money out of this activity.
4. To conmmemorate the Big Date, I indulged in the acquisition of a 2007 Dunkel Olive/Camel 997 with a new engine and a X51 power kit for myself that I found in Germany. Including manual transmission, the car is a lot of fun to drive. I plan to work lightly on the mechanics (just suspension and exhaust) and on the interior (Pepita fabric in the seats, new hood...) and maybe some Fuch wheels.
And this coming week, my first grandson will turn 1!
So life goes on and so do I. Too busy to notice.
Thank you all, Porsche enthusiasts, for showing me the way and sharing.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:48 PM
Nova997
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

In my case, I bought a 911.
Old 09-18-2016, 04:12 PM
steveP911
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 230 Posts
Default Weekend #2

I went to the PCA Open House in Columbia MD. Very nice affair with nice people and some great cars, new old and old. Lots of GT's. Excellent lunch. Weather was great. I would suggest it next year for anyone in the greater area. Lots of fun chatting with other owners. Pic below of one of my favorites models. I didn't meet the owner - most were ambling about looking at other cars (hope you don't mind me posting your car). Took the opportunity to get mine dressed up after getting it dirty the weekend before at the HPDC. Bought a Porsche shirt and jacket which were really cheap! Great time and I would recommend it for those somewhat nearby.
Attached Images   
Old 09-18-2016, 05:37 PM
Berosucci
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was also at the HPDC and the open house.
I will be at the PCA Potomac club race next weekend. I will be working a corner for the first time. Should be another good weekend.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:13 PM
steveP911
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 230 Posts
Default Finished!

Well, I finished my post-60th birthday Porsche trifecta. I was in the PCA-Potomac 25th Silver Anniversary of Club Race Parade this past Saturday, as the 2005 entry, along with 24 others from 1992-2016. Not exactly ripping around the Summit main course, but fun nonetheless. Really enjoyed the Club racing - those of you anywhere near Summit Point in West Virginia should really check it out (look on the PCA Potomac chapter website calendar). The PCA is a great organization, and I was able to experience that for three straight weekends.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: What to do when you turn 60