Sponsored by:

Rear Engine Compartment Lid

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 11:53 AM
VanSant62
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Engine Compartment Lid

I really have to slam my lid to lock it into place. I've tried to lower it gently then push but it doesn't lock. Is this normal on a 997.2? I just did air filters last week and have meant to post before. Hope I'm not hurting anything. Thanks in advance for any advice. Cheers!
Old 09-01-2016, 11:56 AM
VanSant62
Instructor

My apologies, no need to specify "Rear".
Old 09-01-2016, 12:44 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Should not need to slam - you should be able to lower it, then gently but firmly press down to latch it. Maybe the latch needs some lubrication?
Old 09-01-2016, 12:52 PM
VanSant62
Instructor

Thanks, I figured something has to be wrong, I really need to slam it which I hate doing, especially with the fan and spoiler lift motors in there.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:08 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 159 Posts

you can adjust the height of the locking mechanism. Just loosen the two bolts on either side (on the aft part of the engine bay) and move up a bit. What is essentially happening in your case is that the bump stops need to be compressed a bit before the locking mechanism engages. Moving the mechanism up will make sure it locks before the bump stops are too compressed.

Realize this MAY also raise the height your deck lid will sit when it's locked. But that might not be the case if the mechanism has slid lower over time.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:29 PM
VanSant62
Instructor

Originally Posted by nwGTS
you can adjust the height of the locking mechanism. Just loosen the two bolts on either side (on the aft part of the engine bay) and move up a bit. What is essentially happening in your case is that the bump stops need to be compressed a bit before the locking mechanism engages. Moving the mechanism up will make sure it locks before the bump stops are too compressed.

Realize this MAY also raise the height your deck lid will sit when it's locked. But that might not be the case if the mechanism has slid lower over time.
Great advice, Ill try today when I get home from work. Thanks so much. I'm guessing this should have a mechanism for self closing?
Old 09-01-2016, 01:32 PM
VanSant62
Instructor

Or is it just mechanical, I have had vettes with both, the C6 was self closing and the C7 went back to mechanical. The reason for the question is that some cars with electric releases also have electric lock down.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:41 PM
wportervt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps the cover for the air filter box is not fully seated after the work you did last week? I'd check that before making any adjustments to the mechanism.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:21 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 941 Posts

Originally Posted by wportervt
Perhaps the cover for the air filter box is not fully seated after the work you did last week? I'd check that before making any adjustments to the mechanism.
+1

Just reach around the whole air box, grab it, and try to move it around. If you can, it is not seated. The box has pins that are seated into rubber gromet-like things that then sit into rather large holes in the chassis. The box is not bolted in on a 997.2.

If you did unseat the box, you really should remove the whole thing requiring you to remove the hose from the throttle body. The reason for removal is that these grommets can come loose when you pick up the box and can be sitting all crooked under there. This is not difficult, just a bit fiddly.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 09-01-2016, 03:29 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VanSant62
Great advice, Ill try today when I get home from work. Thanks so much. I'm guessing this should have a mechanism for self closing?
It's not 'self closing'. The mechanism for releasing the lid is mechanical. It is powered by a servo that is controlled but not mechanically linked to the trigger on the floor to the left of the Driver's seat.

Moreover, this is the same setup as the front hood release. Many people have to replace the electronic trigger that opens the front hood because they pull on it very hard like it's mechanical (because it IS mechanically linked on many other cars). It's basically an electronic button that activates a servo and it just needs a light touch to make the connection. If they realized this, there would be less broken frunk released triggers.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:50 PM
syzygy333
Racer

my engine lid cover also needs a e
real firm push. I think I will try the adjustment.
thanks for the info!
Old 09-01-2016, 06:27 PM
VanSant62
Instructor

No it's not the cover that's all seated flush, it's got to be the latch, had this issue since I got her I'm May. Thanks tho!
Old 09-01-2016, 06:55 PM
VanSant62
Instructor

Thank you all for the ideas and input, I just open the engine compartment, loosened the two bolts (10mm), holding the plastic catch, pulled the unit up a bit, tightened said bolts and the lid closes just fine, just a gentle push and its locks up and releases with no issues. Again many thanks. Cheers!
Old 09-01-2016, 07:25 PM
VanSant62
Instructor

Originally Posted by nwGTS
you can adjust the height of the locking mechanism. Just loosen the two bolts on either side (on the aft part of the engine bay) and move up a bit. What is essentially happening in your case is that the bump stops need to be compressed a bit before the locking mechanism engages. Moving the mechanism up will make sure it locks before the bump stops are too compressed. Realize this MAY also raise the height your deck lid will sit when it's locked. But that might not be the case if the mechanism has slid lower over time.
Worked like a charm, thank you!!
Old 09-02-2016, 01:58 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

No problemo.

Quick Reply: Rear Engine Compartment Lid