Sponsored by:

Clay bar...wow!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 12:30 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
The reason you clay the paint, is to removed any contamination prior to polishing.
Yes exactly. Its not a replacement for a random orbital polisher ie you do it before you do any paint correction. With proper lubrication it should just glide over the paint to pick up fine contaminants like brake dust and very fine metal particles. If you don't then you run the risk of these particles getting stuck in your polishing pad

Have never had an issue with it dragging and/or scratching the surface but I guess there's always a 1st time....
Old 08-17-2016, 12:42 PM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

So technically speaking, you should accomplish the following procedure;

1. Wash and prep
2. Clay Bar
3. Compound
4. Polish
5. Apply Coating
6. Wax
Old 08-17-2016, 12:48 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by frankyluis23
So technically speaking, you should accomplish the following procedure;

1. Wash
2. Clay Bar
3. Rewash
3B. Tape off trip and etc
4. Polish
4B. Alcohol wipe down
5. Apply Coating or wax
My suggestions.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:52 PM
Tyztoy
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Looking good... i Clay bar my cars once a month... dark cars need it more than brighter colors i think
Old 08-17-2016, 12:53 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by jdgamble
Love the red. Wish my wife would authorize that.
Sure her these pics. She'll have to relent!

Great job, blassy...T
Old 08-17-2016, 12:56 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyztoy
Looking good... i Clay bar my cars once a month... dark cars need it more than brighter colors i think
Keeps the paint smooth, and strips off the wax. So you need to rewax each time, too. Claying does not remove swirl marks or scratches. Only polishing can do that. FYI.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:29 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Something to think seriously about: Clay bars are wet sanding.... very very fine abrasive, but your are wet sanding. Period. This stuff was originally invented for painters to remove over spray, not to detail cars. I use a Porter Cable random orbital, terry pad, and Meguires Ultimate Polish.... same results as clay but I feel much more confident with this than clay.
Originally Posted by OKB
clay bar is just a solid rubbing compound, rubbing and buffing has always been the answer to smooth out paint surfaces. Its just harder to handle a buffer and compound with out going thru the paint. The safer way to polish out the paint is to use a orbital buffer/waxer and use a polishing compound
While I agree that you must be careful with clay because you can pick up a piece of grit and scratch your paint, the process of claying a car isn't anything like wet sanding or compounding. If done right, the clay bar isn't even touching the paint because there is a film of soapy water between it and the clearcoat and you're only shearing off contaminants that are proud of the surface.

Wet sanding and compounding remove some of the surface coating, which is a completely different method of surface prep. Even the mildest compound removes clear coat, and the purpose of water in wet sanding is not to protect the paint from the sandpaper, as it is in clay barring. The purpose of the water is to carry away the grit and debris created by the sanding so that it doesn't clog up the paper and leave scratches. Those processes are apples and oranges.

Compounding or machine buffing a paint surface that hasn't been thoroughly cleaned off has much more risk of scratching and swirling than clay barring. With a clay bar, you're skimming the surface and even if the clay gets dirty, you are turning it to a clean side often. If you compound a surface that's even slightly gritty, you're holding that grit in the pad and grinding the grit back into the surface continually. If the grit is larger than the sanding/compounding media, you're just creating more scratches.

I worry about clay barring and the damage potential. I am not always fastidious about turning the clay bar and sometimes I do it in a hurry. But, for prep after washing and prior to waxing, I haven't seen a better alternative.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:39 PM
Hi-Arc
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by blassy
Now complete with high gloss sealant.

Nice job! Looks awesome!
Old 08-22-2016, 08:32 AM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Nice. Use clay all the time. I'm careful to clean the car well before use, keep the bar wet and make sure I'm changing the clay as it gets dirty. And I don't reuse after it falls on the ground. Lol.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:31 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Simply gorgeous!

Quick Reply: Clay bar...wow!