Silly question: toe and heel on 997.1

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 11:50 AM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Silly question: toe and heel on 997.1

Folks,

I apologize for asking that stupid/silly question but I cannot manage to do some toe and heel on my 997.1.

I used to have no problem doing this on my BMW E30 M3 and enjoyed immensely the close and strong connection with that fabulous car.

With the Porsche, it seems to me that the brake pedal is way too high as compared to the accelerator pedal. When I depress the brake pedal, there is no way I can roll my foot or touch the throttle pedal with my heel without dislocating my ankle. I am slamming the brakes and still cannot touch the throttle pedal....which is not what I am trying to achieve, obviously as I want to keep everything smooth with light braking.

I am wondering how you guys manage to do that procedure and if the throttle pedal can be adjusted to come closer to the brake pedal when that late one is depressed.

Thanks for any advice.
Yves
Old 08-15-2016, 11:54 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 941 Posts

2009 C2S 100K miles

You are not the only one. I installed the Rennline gas pedal to address this. See here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...gas-pedal.html

Peace,
Bruce in Philly
Old 08-15-2016, 12:02 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 395 Likes on 246 Posts

I can do it easy in with the Sport button turn on (street driving) and have a tough time doing it with Sport button off. The Rennline pedal helps a bit but this problem give me a good excuse to get Softronic ECU tuned.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:33 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I only heel 'n' toe under hard/heavy braking, and it's best in sport mode... and I have after market pedals (wider throttle that sits higher, plus flatter metal brake pedal).

Otherwise, I am just rev-matching, and sport is still best.

Last edited by Philster; 08-15-2016 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:56 PM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 70 Posts

Thank you Bruce. I read your article and this is exactly what I need.
The pedal adjustment is the key.....not the Sport/versus regular mode... ;-)

Yves
Old 08-15-2016, 01:14 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 159 Posts

Heal toe on 997s takes some additional effort and practice under moderate or light street braking. On track while threshold braking, it's very simple whether rolling or actually using heal and toe.
Old 08-15-2016, 02:38 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Heal toe on 997s takes some additional effort and practice under moderate or light street braking. On track while threshold braking, it's very simple whether rolling or actually using heal and toe.
Yes exactly. Its perfect for the track or similar type situation where you are heavy on the brakes.

Heel/toe under light braking just doesn't make any sense anyways
Old 08-15-2016, 02:50 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vern1
I don't quite agree, downshifting is common when street driving and IMO, you should always rev match. If you are downshifting, there is a high probability it is associated with braking.... so heal toeing is perfect for normal everyday driving.

I got 197K miles on my Boxster S clutch and that had a lot of track days too. Engine blew so I am not sure how far the clutch would have gone. I attribute that longevity all to rev matching (heel toeing)..... I do it all the time .... and with the Rennline pedal (or equivalent), it is real easy and no drama of moving your heal or pointing you knee in (much...you still have to be in a good driving position).

YMMV

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 08-15-2016, 02:55 PM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

On the track you don't need rennline pedals IMO. It works fine without as I brake a lot harder. Also you can do a more violent blip and it doesn't really make a huge difference if you are super precise or not.

In city driving I find it easier to roll over the foot from brake pedal onto throttle. However it's not precise so here Rennline pedals is probably the way to go.
Old 08-15-2016, 03:01 PM
mcfisticuffs
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Haven't driven a 997.1, but on my 996.2 and 997.2, I have no problems heel-toeing (rolling).

The 997.2 previous owner had a gas pedal extension on it - this brought to my attention that I never use my whole foot on either pedal. Even when only braking, my foot is still half off the brake pedal and I simply roll it more to the brake side. With the previous owner's extension, I would be revving the engine unintentionally while braking. Took it off, and it's lovely.

On a side note, while I was shopping for the 997.2 I drove a couple new Camaros. Those pedals are so far apart you might need to get your passenger to blip the throttle for down shifts.
Old 08-15-2016, 03:18 PM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
Yes exactly. Its perfect for the track or similar type situation where you are heavy on the brakes.

+1

Light blip on downshifts is all that's needed. Full-on heel-and-toe doesn't make sense unless you're deep into the brakes.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:32 PM
otuA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
I don't quite agree, downshifting is common when street driving and IMO, you should always rev match. If you are downshifting, there is a high probability it is associated with braking.... so heal toeing is perfect for normal everyday driving.
Rev matching is very common in street driving, but not heal and toeing. Heal and toeing is really only needed if you have to be hard on the brakes but also ready to get back on the power in a lower gear - if this is a common scenario for you on the street then you probably drive very fast.

Personally, I hardly use my brakes around town except for coming to a complete stop or under aggressive driving. A proper rev match downshift is very effective at scrubbing speed, not to mention way more fun!
Old 08-15-2016, 04:39 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mcfisticuffs
Those pedals are so far apart you might need to get your passenger to blip the throttle for down shifts.
Interesting...... I suspect I know why... they are limiting unintended acceleration claims. My wife's Lexus had unintended acceleration twice!!! yep, with me at the wheel. One time I almost jumped a parking block and put it into a lake. What happened? Both times I was wearing very hard soled shoes and the gas pedal is close to the brake, and the gas pedal is very sensitive... small movements at the top of travel equal big gas. I was pressing both and not knowing it.

Both times, I pushed the handle into neutral.... interesting I did that and not pull my foot off the brake.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 08-15-2016, 08:00 PM
RaidersR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't use my heel for the throttle blip. I use my toe with the heel on the brake. Works awesome for me and I practice a lot coming off the freeway to my home. Great spot to get down to second and take the left hard as the light is always green.

I wear size 8 to 8-1/2 shoe for comparison to others. I can even use my flip flops and "heel/toe" easily. Maybe I'm backwards but it works great!!
Old 08-15-2016, 08:22 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Heel 'n' toe is not literally the heel and toe in many cars, but it refers to a technique. It usually winds up as left and right side footing.

Quick Reply: Silly question: toe and heel on 997.1