Sponsored by:

Installed Rennline Gas Pedal

Old 03-06-2013, 08:12 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,409 Likes on 854 Posts
Default Installed Rennline Gas Pedal

Both my 2000 Boxster S and now my 2009 C2S have too much distance front-to-back between the brake and gas pedals for normal street heel toeing. Under normal, street brake pedal pressures, heel toeing is just too difficult and I like to rev match at all downshifts. Heel toeing is more than about track driving, it is all about rev matching. Because I rev match at all down shifts, I got 197K miles on my Boxster S clutch.

My style is to put my right heel to the right and toe to the left.... pigeon toed... apply brake pressure with most of the ball of my foot... then roll my foot over and blip the gas with the side of my foot.

For my Boxster, I installed the Wings pedal over the gas pedal to raise it up a bit. It was ugly, and massive but worked fine. It installed over the gas pedal with clamps so it was easily removed for the track where the increased braking pressures didn't require the extra height. I had to modify the pedal a bit because it was too high in its lowest position, but I got it to work and I used it every day for 12 years.

For my 2009 C2S, the wings pedal would not work... I hacked it, sawed it, ground it..... now it is in the trash. So I did some research and tried the Rennline gas pedal. Overall, thumbs up.

What I like about the Rennline gas pedal:

- In short, I recommend this pedal
- Adjustable in height, yaw, and tilt. I just have it parallel to the plane of the original pedal
- Can be easily removed for track work although you will still have a flat mounting plate left on the pedal that adds no height.
- The nubs can be easily popped out for a smooth surface - I have the nubs in but I think I will be popping them out for a smooth feel
- Looks good... they have some optional colors and styles... I like black
- Works and was fairly easy to install
- Company was easy to work with and I returned a silver, perforated style for a black, rubber nubbed pedal and they were real good about it.
- I also ordered, but did not install an optional pedal extender that makes the pedal wider towards the brake... not needed.

What I don't like about the Rennline pedal:
- You have to drill and ruin your stock pedal - I really don't like this at all. I could not find an alternative to this and this was generally recommended on the Porsche forums
- I originally ordered a silver, perforated style pedal. The silver really looks white and was awfully ugly IMHO (I don't know what I was thinking).
- The perforations are sharp and grab your shoe.. your shoe sticks. I don't like this at all, but that is my taste.
- The drilling template provided yielded a slightly crooked mount... maybe it was me, but I recommend using the bottom plate itself for a template and not the paper one

Installation:
- You drill six holes in your gas pedal. Three are pilots for sheet metal screws that hold the flat, smooth mounting plate onto your gas pedal. The other three are larger holes are for... don't know what they are called... grommet/nuts that are attached to the flat plate drop down into them. They are the sockets/nuts for the pedal. The pedal screws then pass through your original pedal to raise and lower the pedal.
- You then attach three long screws to the pedal and fasten them with vinyl lock nuts but leave them just loose enough that you can turn the screws.. the nuts will turn with the screw... these screws then adjust the hight
- Lay the pedal over the flat mounting plate and start screwing in the three screws. By varying the number of turns, you can raise/lower and change the pitch and yaw of the pedal. Neat.

See pictures below... the first is the ugly silver (looks white to me) perforated pedal that I returned. One of the pics is the mounting plate without the pedal and you can see the three sheet screws and the mounting grommet/nuts thingys thus the six holes in your pedal.

Thanx
Bruce in Philly

End
Old 03-06-2013, 08:53 PM
mp3moose
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the write up. I too am struggling to find a solution to heel toe on the street. Is this the fully adjustable pedal ($325) or just the pedal cover ($95) from Rennline?
Old 03-06-2013, 09:14 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

It is two products and not the whole/full pedal system:

- PA71 Lifter plate (works with the perforated or nubbed pedal), then you need a pedal on top of that
- P45 Perforated pedal or P71 nubbed pedal

You don't need the PA71 lifter but given my value system, I would never install a pedal just to be cool. I did this because I needed the height.

An option for any of these is the Throttle Extension plate... which I purchased, didn't open, and returned. I found I had no need.

Check out their website for information and pictures.

Bruce in Philly
Old 02-05-2016, 10:56 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Update: I added the pedal extender. I found that I needed it with a narrow, thin pair of shoes I had. Normal, harder sole shoes didn't require the extender.

Still enjoying the pedal and all my smooth, rev-matched down shifts! Actually, I am totally unaware of the pedal; yet another good reason to own it.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
The following 2 users liked this post by Bruce In Philly:
Bob Nguyen (11-22-2020), ohmyggg (Today)
Old 02-05-2016, 11:06 AM
jglaze
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Update: I added the pedal extender. I found that I needed it with a narrow, thin pair of shoes I had. Normal, harder sole shoes didn't require the extender.

Still enjoying the pedal and all my smooth, rev-matched down shifts! Actually, I am totally unaware of the pedal; yet another good reason to own it.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Thank you for sharing - I just ordered the silver perforated pedal set and am anxious to try it out. By pedal extender, are you referring to the red (or black or silver) tabs they show on their site? If so, are you using one or both of the tabs?

I track drive with an old pair of soccer shoes, so they had decent width for my Audi, but not sure if they'll work with the new pedals in the Porsche...

Any new pics?
Old 02-05-2016, 11:20 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jglaze
Thank you for sharing - I just ordered the silver perforated pedal set and am anxious to try it out. By pedal extender, are you referring to the red (or black or silver) tabs they show on their site? If so, are you using one or both of the tabs?

I track drive with an old pair of soccer shoes, so they had decent width for my Audi, but not sure if they'll work with the new pedals in the Porsche...

Any new pics?
Interesting... they must have changed their products a bit regarding the tabs/side extender. The extender I have is one piece that extends the whole side top to bottom. I poked around their website and it is not there.

I can't advise if top/bottom/both is best.... seems odd to me why the single plate was discontinued as I would have thought it would be a better solution. You can always call them.

If you read my write up, I started with the perforated silver, and switched to the nubbed black as I really disliked the perforated unit. Their rep noted that track junkies like the perforated and street folks like the nubbed. He was right. You feel and stick to the perforated one and I didn't like it. The nubbed is nice as you don't need to put the nubs in and unit still looks good. I put them in fully thinking I would pull them as I now wanted a smooth surface, but for whatever reason, the nubs are totally fine and I am unaware of them. They give you extra by the way in case some wear down.

Also, silver is not silver..... it is more white.... so I went black. I don't care to draw attention to this.

Anyway, if you heel toe.... you will love this and I feel this behavior/skill is required for any manual sports car.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 02-05-2016, 12:36 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Rennline makes a great pedal set. Had black with gas extension but just sent silver.
Attached Images  
Old 02-05-2016, 12:38 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Now silver
Attached Images  
Old 02-05-2016, 01:31 PM
FFSstavros
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I initially just installed the full pedal set, 3+dead pedal, but then went back and added the lifter plate to the accelerator. I have it set just a hair below perfect for the street and I'll see how it goes on the track soon. The good news is a simple wrench and you can raise/lower the pedal between track/autocross sessions until you get it where it feels right.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:15 AM
Marauder1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Legroom

With the Rennline pedal set do you lose any legroom, is it almost exactly the same. or do you happen to pick up an additional 1/16-1/8"?

The reason I ask is because at 6'4" I don't want to sacrifice any legroom as I'm a bit tight in my 997.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:41 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

It replaces the rubber pedals on the brake and clutch so distance is identical. It mounts on top of the dead pedal and throttle so you'll lose a quarter inch there. I'm 6'5", installed these last April and that question never even crossed my mind until you brought it up here. You'll be fine.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:26 AM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

I've had my rennlines for about a year and still love them. I have the red extension piece for the gas pedal which I've used on the track and find it a tad to big....so I don't use it.

Still a great and functional product.
Attached Images  
Old 05-15-2016, 02:07 AM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Looks great! Thanks for the writeup

Thanks to you, now I have another future mod to add to the list.

Does it ever end ????????
Old 02-28-2020, 11:30 AM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

Looking at doing this same mod in my 09 base model. I was wondering how you return to stock if you want to after drilling into the stock pedal. Is there a way to replace the entire stock pedal assembly one day if you wanted to? Or are you stuck with this forever?
Old 03-02-2020, 07:21 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ripking
Looking at doing this same mod in my 09 base model. I was wondering how you return to stock if you want to after drilling into the stock pedal. Is there a way to replace the entire stock pedal assembly one day if you wanted to? Or are you stuck with this forever?
You will have holes in your pedal..... there is a way to replace the pedal... you can replace everything in these cars but I have no idea what it will take or cost. Try downloading the Porsche Katalog, determine the part number, then Google.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installed Rennline Gas Pedal