Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GROUP BUY - Function First Transmission Mount Inserts

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2016 | 11:55 AM
Hunt3R
Racer

Originally Posted by EMC2
Based on your description above I assume you are running the stock exhaust if you can hardly tell the car is running when idling.

Unless you plan to install a louder exhaust and if you don't want to introduce additional noise/rattles into the cabin, I would say black is going to be too much.
I would say go with yellow and get a louder exhaust Or just stick with orange to be on the safe side.
Actually I have Fister D modified mufflers and while they're not the loudest I can hear the exhaust good enough, I just can't feel it. I've considered getting a louder exhaust, I had Fabspeed supercup exhaust on my older 911 and it sounded awesome, but I didnt care anymore to bother my neighbors and let people know I'm coming from 5 blocks away.

I do however want to introduce more NVH into the cabin of my car. It's way too quiet and numb. I plan to do semi-solid engine mounts too, but it would be great if I can get enough feedback to make me happy just from these transmission mount inserts. I think I probably want more NVH and am used to having more NVH than most drivers and Ive been reading everyone's reviews on these and it's hard to figure out which ones I'm going to prefer myself. Most people seem to want the soft orange and that just seems like a waste to me. I'm worried the yellows won't be enough either...
Old 08-13-2016 | 12:30 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hunt3R
Actually I have Fister D modified mufflers and while they're not the loudest I can hear the exhaust good enough, I just can't feel it. I've considered getting a louder exhaust, I had Fabspeed supercup exhaust on my older 911 and it sounded awesome, but I didnt care anymore to bother my neighbors and let people know I'm coming from 5 blocks away.

I do however want to introduce more NVH into the cabin of my car. It's way too quiet and numb. I plan to do semi-solid engine mounts too, but it would be great if I can get enough feedback to make me happy just from these transmission mount inserts. I think I probably want more NVH and am used to having more NVH than most drivers and Ive been reading everyone's reviews on these and it's hard to figure out which ones I'm going to prefer myself. Most people seem to want the soft orange and that just seems like a waste to me. I'm worried the yellows won't be enough either...
That helps clarify.
Per my DIY post I can definitely tell the increase in the desirable transmission noise when driving, as well as a less desirable but only very slight rattle/chatter when idling in park (which doesn't bother me at all because I don't need to be idling in park except for a few seconds at the beginning and end of each trip).

The shifting harshness/aggressiveness really increased nicely in Sports Plus mode. The difference was impressive. I can't say that I had any real noticable increase in vibration though. I'm still considering testing out the yellow myself next time I have the car up on the lift again.

This is of course all very subjective, but based on your description, my own experience, and what I've read on other threads before I purchased; I suspect you would get a lot of what you are looking for from the yellow mounts. I think even more so with the black mounts, but if you don't want to have rattles introduced into the cabin then I suspect black will be a problem. (although at least you would know the cause of the rattle/s)

The good news is the DIY is really easy and if you need to go from yellow to black or vice versa, it can be done really quickly as long as you have a lift.

...and with the group buy discount you'll easily get your money back by selling whichever you don't use.

Good luck with the selection. Interested to hear your feedback when done.
Old 08-13-2016 | 08:12 PM
Michaelc
Rennlist Member

I did this mod 6 months ago and it transformed my tranny. No more sloppy shifting and vibrations, also no more crunching when shifting into 6th gear without double clutching.
Old 08-14-2016 | 02:49 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Can someone comment on how much NVH is at idle and through the rev band with the softest inserts. I still have a crunchy 2nd gear after Mobilube PTX fluid change, will the inserts help with this?
Old 08-14-2016 | 03:30 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lvt19672
Can someone comment on how much NVH is at idle and through the rev band with the softest inserts. I still have a crunchy 2nd gear after Mobilube PTX fluid change, will the inserts help with this?
There is some increased NVH vibration increase at idle. Also a small droning at about 3k rpm. I don't mind it at all. Since the swap my second gear shift is smoother and I can't remember having the trouble going into first.
Old 08-14-2016 | 07:53 PM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

UPDATE: the order list to Luka now includes:

jhynesrockmtn
kk2
Long Islander 1
Spinout
hapkido2
Rick
Arch1t3ct
kjan4
dereifelfahrer
SoCal C2S
turbo 3.6
Ni_Mo
fort
rea964
Tj40 (missing email - pls forward at your earliest)

16 orders including me. Of interest, 6 soft, 8 sport and 2 track hardness.

If I've missed anyone please let me know. You can expect to hear from Luka in the coming days to confirm the details of your order along with shipping directions.

I hope these will meet our expectations. Hey, for $104 + shipping and an hour's installation labour this qualifies as a reasonably priced experiment?
Old 08-14-2016 | 10:39 PM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Following.... I need to educate myself on this a bit more before putting in the order. Main concern is NVH -- I do NOT want to add any more at all. (Already have a loud exhaust and I have quite sufficient feedback for my taste...)
Old 08-14-2016 | 11:20 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jsalah
Following.... I need to educate myself on this a bit more before putting in the order. Main concern is NVH -- I do NOT want to add any more at all. (Already have a loud exhaust and I have quite sufficient feedback for my taste...)

Then you should stick with the OE setup.
Old 08-15-2016 | 08:44 PM
Batman33
Instructor

Doug, I just sent you a PM on this in hopes of adding one more order to the 16 already subscribed. Thanks for doing this!
Old 08-16-2016 | 01:13 AM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
Then you should stick with the OE setup.
Hmmm... So how much does it really add is the question, I guess... Quoting from the Function First web site: "Our durable urethane rubber insert simply slides in to fill and fortify the empty voids of the OEM mount, preventing premature bushing wear and undesirable transmission movement, all while transmitting minimal added noise and vibration. ...The result? Handling is taut and predictable; power delivery is immediate and smooth; gear changes are crisp and confident."

This sounds quite appealing, but I'm just not clear what "minimal added noise and vibration" actually means, and whether it's worth it...
Old 08-16-2016 | 01:16 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Hmmm... So how much does it really add is the question, I guess... Quoting from the Function First web site: "Our durable urethane rubber insert simply slides in to fill and fortify the empty voids of the OEM mount, preventing premature bushing wear and undesirable transmission movement, all while transmitting minimal added noise and vibration. ...The result? Handling is taut and predictable; power delivery is immediate and smooth; gear changes are crisp and confident."

This sounds quite appealing, but I'm just not clear what "minimal added noise and vibration" actually means, and whether it's worth it...
It's not much but you said you did't want to add any more noise at all.
It's going to add some. I look at it as an advantage and especially considering the tighter feel.

Buy them install them.... if you don't like them, uninstall them. That's the only way to know for sure if it's right for you.
Old 08-16-2016 | 02:09 AM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Or, wait for the 26 of us that have orders in now to report back.
Old 08-17-2016 | 10:18 AM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Are we still waiting for FF to reach out? I haven't heard anything yet.
Old 08-17-2016 | 01:02 PM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kk2
Are we still waiting for FF to reach out? I haven't heard anything yet.
We are up to 27 units on order. Of interest an even split between Soft and Sport with just a couple of Track. I talked to Luka yesterday and he should be sending out invoices from today and in the order I received them. Enjoy.

kk2 ... you're third in line :-)
Old 08-17-2016 | 02:54 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Since the threshold for the big discount has already been met, I wanted to let you guys know that I have a set of yellow mounts for sale:

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...ts-yellow.html

Quick Reply: GROUP BUY - Function First Transmission Mount Inserts