Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Behavior from other drivers

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 09:06 AM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

I was recently made aware that "share the road," means something different than what I'd thought. Apparently in all 50 states it means that bikes are entitled to use the full lane.

Whereas I thought it meant "share" in the sense that both bikes and cars could coexist in the same lane if there was enough space for the car to pass.

I'm a biker too. City commuting for the past 3.5 years. I can honestly say that I rarely have issues. I sometimes take the full lane for safety but usually don't have to. I am certain that if I took the full lane always, I'd have many more issues.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:52 AM
Austin997.2
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by gg1
Well stated. If someone tries to block me, they may get what they deserve. Last I checked a Porsche is worth more than my $3K bike. No problem sending a message. Again nicely said.
Exactly why I block to send a message for the bikers to not break the law.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:00 AM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,769 Posts

Ahh another cyclist thread . . .
I have no problem with cyclists as long as they obey the law. Many do and we get along fine. Both sides are quite safe (aside from the mass/speed differential).
However, in Alabama it is illegal to:
- white line or pass at a stop light (I don't do it on my motorcycle)
- not hug the rightmost parts of the lane so as to allow cars to pass
- ride more than two abreast (which does not mean its ok to do so and block traffic - see previous)
- not obey traffic signals/signs/road markings
All you cyclists who think the laws don't apply to you in the name of safety are the ******.
I'm sure if I behaved on my motorcycle as you do it would **** you off just as much.
How bout in the name of cyclist safety you find a safer place/time to cycle and obey all the laws.
How bout wearing a strobe if you're so concerned about being seen. Many here do and it helps tremendously.
Plenty of *****/incompetant drivers for sure. Plenty of ***** cyclists for sure.
That is all.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:29 AM
mreloc
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Porsche Lives Matter! Porsche Lives Matter! Porsche Lives Matter!
Old 08-13-2016, 11:53 AM
Austin997.2
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by BHMav8r
Ahh another cyclist thread . . .
I have no problem with cyclists as long as they obey the law. Many do and we get along fine. Both sides are quite safe (aside from the mass/speed differential).
However, in Alabama it is illegal to:
- white line or pass at a stop light (I don't do it on my motorcycle)
- not hug the rightmost parts of the lane so as to allow cars to pass
- ride more than two abreast (which does not mean its ok to do so and block traffic - see previous)
- not obey traffic signals/signs/road markings
All you cyclists who think the laws don't apply to you in the name of safety are the ******.
I'm sure if I behaved on my motorcycle as you do it would **** you off just as much.
How bout in the name of cyclist safety you find a safer place/time to cycle and obey all the laws.
How bout wearing a strobe if you're so concerned about being seen. Many here do and it helps tremendously.
Plenty of *****/incompetant drivers for sure. Plenty of ***** cyclists for sure.
That is all.
Amen to this. Some of the bicyclists feel like they are on a higher moral ground because of being "green" that their hypocritical thinking is ok and condoned.
Old 08-13-2016, 12:20 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gg1
If someone tries to block me, they may get what they deserve. Last I checked a Porsche is worth more than my $3K bike. No problem sending a message.
What exactly do they deserve?

You sound just like the idiot drivers. People like you give cyclists a bad name.

What state do you live in? Laws? If what you are suggesting is illegal, you deserve to pay for the damages and possibly some jail time. Plus whatever it takes for me to detain you until the police arrive.
Old 08-13-2016, 01:17 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Well that escalated quickly! (talking other drivers now onto cyclists)
Old 08-13-2016, 01:25 PM
RaidersR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
I was in my parking garage pulling up to the exit gate looking for my exit pass and a guy in a black Blazer pulls up in the exit stall to my right. He had an RFID pass and the gate automatically opened when he pulled near. So, he could have driven straight through but instead he stops next to me, lowers his window, looks at me, spits on the ground and then pulls out. One of the more bizarre things I've seen and the reason why I park in an inconspicuous area of the garage now. The second bizarre behavior I experienced was on I-94 E just north of Chicago. Center lane, not speeding, lifted Silverado bro-dozer passes me on the left and then slows when his liftgate is alongside my door. He floors it, sh!tting soot from his side pipe completely blinding me then he pulls in front of me with his smoke screen. That pissed me off but no harm really. So, I just continue on. Then he slows down AND DOES IT AGAIN!!! I floored it after I realized that he was going to do it again and didn't stop until he was a spec in the mirror. What a turd burgler.
Check You tube. Bet he recorded his BS and in his world of bro's he is he man. LOL

Last edited by RaidersR1; 08-13-2016 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-13-2016, 01:53 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin997.2
They are not breaking the law by being on the right. I revert to my earlier position - you're just being a dick

And I love the quote from the other guy ie cyclist should find a safer time and place to bike . Makes great sense. I'll ride to work at 3am. Or maybe I should find a job in the country so I only have to bike on nice county roads.

Real practical advice.

And you two talk about self righteous bikers??
Old 08-13-2016, 02:57 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

... Some of the bicyclists feel like they are on a higher moral ground because of being "green" ....

Since when are bikes green? Do they have cats these days?
Old 08-13-2016, 03:34 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Cyclist who commute are a little bit different animal. But you still need to obey the laws. I think here it is not legal to pass cars in a line at a red light / stop sign.
Simply wait your place in line and go when everyone else goes. A common passing distance law is three feet and I approve (although I always did this prior, for safety). Shouldn't a cyclist have to have three feet clearance to pass a car? Especially in traffic?

If you commute on a bike, good for you. Now shut up and fight traffic just like the rest of us.

Its OK for the bikes to block but not cars to block? Selective interpretation of the law, don't you think? Cyclists like you around me are dangerous to my safety, as well as your own, which no fault of mine could well end up impacting me financially. So yes, I would like to block you *** hats from passing me (often on both sides) in heavy traffic, not obeying right of ways or much else (but I don't).

My time place comments are directed to the recreational riders.

As far as the OP - I think cyclist fall into the category of other drivers behaviors.
Old 08-13-2016, 03:48 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by BHMav8r
Cyclist who commute are a little bit different animal. But you still need to obey the laws. I think here it is not legal to pass cars in a line at a red light / stop sign. Simply wait your place in line and go when everyone else goes. If you commute on a bike, good for you. Now shut up and fight traffic just like the rest of us.
Its OK for the bikes to block but not cars to block? Selective interpretation of the law, don't you think?
My time place comments are directed to the recreational riders.
As far as the OP - I think cyclist fall into the category of other drivers reactions.
Well I don't know where you're from but here bikes are supposed to pass cars on the right. They are not allowed to run red lights or stop signs of course but it is the law here to give bikes 1m of space so they can get by. That's the whole idea, so you don't have to fight traffic!!

And some of you don't comprehend too well. Bike are "entitled" to a full lane, meaning if there is not enough space for safety reasons then they should take the lane ie in construction like I said before. It doesn't mean they should take a full lane in normal traffic and it doesn't happen in day to day biking.

Its not selective interpretation of any law. Its common sense. Take a lane if you NEED to. Otherwise pass on the right as you should. Having cars go out of their way to block you is just being a dick, with some god complex that you need to make bikers follow the law (the irony being here in Toronto the car is breaking the law!!). Its being a dick and causing further frustration for all involved

Done
Old 08-13-2016, 03:51 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vern1
I'll ride to work at 3am.
Just curious.
What kind of PPE do you wear? Lighting? Headlight? Tail light? Turn signals? reflective clothing? Strobe?
Thanks.

We are in different worlds with apparently different laws. You commute in traffic in the city. I have to put up with "tour de neighborhood" wannabes in the burbs. Maple syrup & corn syrup.

Last edited by BHMav8r; 08-13-2016 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-13-2016, 04:13 PM
gg1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really can't seem me continuing to debate someone from Texas. Lets just say in more advanced states up north and out west cyclists are indeed allowed to ride to the right and overtake cars. You block them up here, you will get whats coming to you at some point. I don't ride on the road much anymore because I can go off road on my commute to work, so I don't have to deal with a-holes very often. Also in the city, much of the time you can make better time on a bike than a car. I do prefer places like Boulder, CO that have complete bike infrastructure, but here I am forced to sometimes be on the road with aggressive, selfish people like yourself. Enjoy the day.
Old 08-13-2016, 04:24 PM
too tall
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ADias
This is new behavior in most parts of the US in the last 10 years or so. Not good.
I've ridden across the USA on a bicycle 4 times and Texas was fantastic. The people, hospitality everything except maybe you guys could serve a freaking salad once and a while

People are people. Nothing changes.

Georgia on the other hand (kidding). Even little old ladies would take it out of gear and let me hear their glass packs. (not kidding)

Quick Reply: Behavior from other drivers