Sponsored by:

Accident - thoughts? Totaled?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 11:14 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedvagen
Agree - not totaled but not cheap to repair. Look for the Porsche authorized repair center for a quote.

https://www.porschecollisioncenter.com/
Maybe not a common situation but I had a really bad experience with a Porsche authorized repair center. Simple repair of a ding and respray of the front hood and they couldn't get it right after two attempts. Turns out, that Porsche authorized repair center is owned by the same dude who owns the local Porsche dealership. Appears it was authorized for reasons other than quality workmanship. Took it to another authorized shop who fixed it perfectly and effortlessly. Their jaws dropped when they saw what their competition had managed after two tries.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:16 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

Before you settle with the other person's insurance, make sure that you get a check for loss of value. Take it to a Porsche dealer and get a trade in value with and without the ding on the Carfax....then present it to the insurance company for reimbursement. If it wasn't your fault, which it looks like, your plan was not to reduce the value of the car by inflicting this damage. Be strong, be relentless, no matter what. 99% of people walk away once they get pushback from an insurance company, but no one can argue with the facts that the value is now less than before.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:16 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Finally
You know, that's something I never see addressed. While a repaired or replaced fender or door on a Chevy, Buick or even a decent Benz doesn't really hurt the value of the car, a stickler will not even want a Porsche with a repaint on a bumper let alone quarter panels, etc. A car with a 50k+ value with a repair of this type will take a hit no matter how good the repair is. Why doesn't the insurance company compensate for that? The action of another literally hurt the value of that vehicle which in many instances can't be recouped.
The insurance company won't compensate for that voluntarily because it isn't in their interest to do so. Oftentimes to get money for a diminished value claim, you have to take it to court. And if you take it to court, you need to make sure you have your evidence to support your claim (an expert witness, preferably). These cases are not cheap to pursue and can be time consuming. So most people don't bother. The insurance companies know this. And so they don't pay willingly. So the cycle goes...
Old 08-09-2016, 11:23 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Maybe not a common situation but I had a really bad experience with a Porsche authorized repair center. Simple repair of a ding and respray of the front hood and they couldn't get it right after two attempts. Turns out, that Porsche authorized repair center is owned by the same dude who owns the local Porsche dealership. Appears it was authorized for reasons other than quality workmanship.
Great advice. If there are multiple Porsche Authorized Collision Centers, get feedback from locals. There appear to be two authorized collision centers in Houston area.

Momentum BMW West
11811 Katy Freeway
HOUSTON, TX 77079

Caliber Collision Centers - Spring Aldine - Westfield
25636 ALDINE WESTFIELD
SPRING, TX 77373

T
Old 08-10-2016, 12:17 AM
flat6ix
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not as close but I recall seeing some good reviews for these guys on the forum before

http://www.stuartspnb.com/
Old 08-10-2016, 12:30 AM
Thedips
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yea loss of value is a tough one, but it will be definite when it comes to trade in / resale time.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:56 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
The insurance company won't compensate for that voluntarily because it isn't in their interest to do so. Oftentimes to get money for a diminished value claim, you have to take it to court. And if you take it to court, you need to make sure you have your evidence to support your claim (an expert witness, preferably). These cases are not cheap to pursue and can be time consuming. So most people don't bother. The insurance companies know this. And so they don't pay willingly. So the cycle goes...
The difficulty in collecting probably varies from one insurance company to another. My -09 C4S was rear ended and the repairs came to just shy of $5,000. The guy who hit me was with Geico and they wrote me a check for $3,900 for diminished value. No court or attorney involved. I can't say it was easy but they never pushed back real hard and instead went more along the line of " show us why we should pay".

There's so much written about how body work have a negative impact on the value of these cars that the case is not that difficult to make imo. I also got a written opinion from the sales manager at my dealership. As with everything else, come prepared and don't get intimidated.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:06 AM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,769 Posts

Diminished value is much more common these days. After a four martini lunch girl hit my passenger door with a BAC of 0.21, the insurance co didn't blink when I asked for a new door and diminished value. It wasn't as much as I would of liked but it wasn't worth the hassle to get more. I also made it clear that I wouldn't except the paint if it didn't match and the paint thickness was consistent with the rest of the car.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:35 AM
tomc_mets
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flat6ix
Not as close but I recall seeing some good reviews for these guys on the forum before

http://www.stuartspnb.com/
Stuart's worked on my Porsche after it 30s dinged up badly in a hail storm. First rate. Highly recommended...T
Old 08-10-2016, 08:58 AM
sam0182
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks again all for the feedback, it really helps and I'm taking notes and doing some additional research. Photos to follow-up after it's all completed and I'll be sure to have the repairs carefully documented throughout by the facility as to have that process documented for any future buyer if/when that happens.

That said, I'm more inclined to keep this thing until the wheels fall off and turn this experience into a bonding one, if nothing else. We'll see.

Thanks again.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:41 AM
tomc_mets
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sam0182
Thanks again all for the feedback, it really helps and I'm taking notes and doing some additional research. Photos to follow-up after it's all completed and I'll be sure to have the repairs carefully documented throughout by the facility as to have that process documented for any future buyer if/when that happens.

That said, I'm more inclined to keep this thing until the wheels fall off and turn this experience into a bonding one, if nothing else. We'll see.

Thanks again.
Right attitude. I'd puke if that happened to my unicorn, but it looks like it can be fixed. The experts will let you know. My 997.2S was badly dinged up 2 weeks into ownership, by a hail storm, and it came back looking better than it left after PDR, bodywork and a detail. Taught me an important lesson, they can be fixed, it may be a PITA, but they can be fixed. Was a lot more relaxed and enjoyed the ownership experience more since then. Get it fixed (if it can be), and then drive the wheels off it…T
Old 08-10-2016, 10:10 AM
sam0182
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks, that makes me feel better. I've had the car for four weeks so it's pretty brutal to have something like this happen so early.

Originally Posted by tomc_mets
Right attitude. I'd puke if that happened to my unicorn, but it looks like it can be fixed. The experts will let you know. My 997.2S was badly dinged up 2 weeks into ownership, by a hail storm, and it came back looking better than it left after PDR, bodywork and a detail. Taught me an important lesson, they can be fixed, it may be a PITA, but they can be fixed. Was a lot more relaxed and enjoyed the ownership experience more since then. Get it fixed (if it can be), and then drive the wheels off it…T
Old 08-10-2016, 10:26 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 941 Posts

Bummer, accidents are never good.....

But..... given that I drive my cars, 197K from my Boxster S, and now 100K on my 2009 C2s, I bang 'em up! The trick is getting a good repair facility..... don't trust the recommendation of the dealer as was my bad experience once.

For me, I would be unhappy for a fortnight, then after a good repair, pretty much forget about it. It is a car, nothing special about installing a new fender, Porsche paint is not anything special..... not a Faberge egg.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 08-10-2016, 10:33 AM
GTS Sully
Pro

Received 161 Likes on 90 Posts

Ouch! Would be my worst nightmare. But the best news is you're okay!!
Old 08-10-2016, 02:35 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry for your accident ... glad you are ok though.

Your insurance company adjuster won't get it right for a number of reasons. Hopefully he/she will have a Porsche expert (Porsche authorized shop perhaps) give them an opinion - or accept an opinion from a Porsche expert you provide. The rear quarter panel where you are hit is a continuous piece so much more expensive to fix it correctly versus a cut-weld-sand-paint job (which you do not want). Also there may be (reasonably probable) additional damage to engine/suspension, and hopefully not frame. But there is a fair amount of weight in that area of the vehicle so any movement will have some consequences. Good luck. Keep us posted on your findings if you can.

BTW - I spoke with the people (forget the shop manager's name) at Momentum BMW Collision (Porsche certified repair shop) concerning some body repair work on my other Porsche. He seemed pretty good, but I cannot attest to their ability as I have not yet decided to pursue the repairs.

Quick Reply: Accident - thoughts? Totaled?