Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice: Fair Price for CPO on 2011 C2S?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 09:00 PM
alz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice: Fair Price for CPO on 2011 C2S?

I've found a 2011 C2S Coupe that I'm interested in. Asking price is $58K, car has 27,000 miles and only lightly optioned: PDLS, Sport Chrono Package Plus (?), Heated/Ventilated seats, Bose, 12-way seats.

Car is out of manufacturer's warranty, but dealer said they can CPO it for $4800.

Does that sound like a fair price for CPO? What are the pros/cons of getting a CPO versus just buying an extended warranty? I'm thinking the upside of a CPO would be that they actually have to update parts/fluids/tires on the car if they are worn, whereas a third-party warranty only gives protection in case things go wrong, so I value CPO somewhat higher.

Thanks!
Old 08-03-2016, 09:06 PM
CT944
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

I've heard CPO is a $3k add on, but to CPO, they may have to replace some things that are out of CPO tolerance such as brake pads/rotors and tires. So, that could inflate that cost to you from $3k to $4800.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:09 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by alz
I've found a 2011 C2S Coupe that I'm interested in. Asking price is $58K, car has 27,000 miles and only lightly optioned: PDLS, Sport Chrono Package Plus (?), Heated/Ventilated seats, Bose, 12-way seats.

Car is out of manufacturer's warranty, but dealer said they can CPO it for $4800.

Does that sound like a fair price for CPO? What are the pros/cons of getting a CPO versus just buying an extended warranty? I'm thinking the upside of a CPO would be that they actually have to update parts/fluids/tires on the car if they are worn, whereas a third-party warranty only gives protection in case things go wrong, so I value CPO somewhat higher.

Thanks!
Hardly any of that $4800 will actually make it into the car in the form of new brakes, tires (unless they are worn out or too old), plugs, coils, fluids, water pump, etc.

As long as the clutch isn't slipping, the brake warning light isn't on, etc., these things do *not* get taken care of.

If your check out of the car finds a substantial lip on say the front rotors you can push for some adjustment in price.

My advice is to plug in the car's numbers at one of the used car web sites: www.nada.com; www.kbb.com; and see what the wholesale/trade in value for the car is and start your price negotiation there.

You can also negotiate the price of a CPO. When I was negotiating the purchase of a used 996 Turbo I did so with the understanding the car would be provided with a CPO as part of my purchase price. After I bought the car the dealer tried to get me to forego the CPO and instead accept some money back provided I then turned around and bought an aftermarket warranty from dealer, underwritten by I think by Fidelity. I declined and the CPO paperwork arrived shortly after I bought the car.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:25 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts

To become CPO it must pass all of the requirements, meaning service up to date and all things like tires, brakes, etc up to spec. I was looking at a panamera with 48k miles and to CPO it they gave me a price of something like $7000. I think the cost of the warranty was somewhere between $2200 and $3000, the rest was brakes, plugs, fluids.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:15 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by dgjks6
To become CPO it must pass all of the requirements, meaning service up to date and all things like tires, brakes, etc up to spec. I was looking at a panamera with 48k miles and to CPO it they gave me a price of something like $7000. I think the cost of the warranty was somewhere between $2200 and $3000, the rest was brakes, plugs, fluids.
Well, consider yourself lucky if the brakes, plugs, fluids were all done.

Unless I saw the actual work order for various things I would have my doubts.

What I said above is what I've been told is the case.

Dealers try for trade ins that don't require much if any refreshing. The dealer looks for cherry cars so all it has to do is wash/wax and vacuum the car, wipe the seats down with some stuff that smells of new leather (my Turbo gets this treatment every service visit), splash some tire polish on the sidewalls and then shove a for sale sign under the windshield.

While the customer might be led to believe the car gets gone through front to back, top to bottom, only things that are clearly in need of attention, slipping clutch, leaking seals, out of date or worn tires, get attention.

Also, remember while you pay retail rates for servicing/repairs the dealer certainly doesn't. It gets parts at a super discount and doesn't bill itself that $150 (or more) hourly labor rate it charges you and me. $7K at a dealer's cost of service work represents a huge amount of work.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:07 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

at 63k all in, that may be an alright price if the car is perfect for you. Close to the price for the cheapest GTS, so you may consider that. I know there is one CPO GTS for sale for 59k right now. Or at least I looked at the ad for it a couple days ago, though its sure to go quick at that price. I know a member here sold his fantastically spec'd CPO GTS for an asking price of 65k.. within the last week.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:19 PM
J_D
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I just bought a 2011 GTS for $66,500 with 2yrs CPO. The warranty was $2500.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:30 PM
mreloc
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I just bought a 2010 CPO C4S cabrio with a $122k sticker with 10k mikes for $66K. They did new tires, 40k mile service, new battery, etc (I think it was $6k worth all in)
Old 08-10-2016, 01:43 AM
alz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help guys - didn't pan out with the dealer; the salesperson completely stopped responding so I thought I'd take my business elsewhere

J_D,mreloc: Those sound like pretty good prices to me from what I've seen... back to the hunt!

Quick Reply: Advice: Fair Price for CPO on 2011 C2S?