997.2 or BMW M2?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 04:40 PM
Nihil27
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 997.2 or BMW M2?

Hey all,

N00b to the forum, so apologies if this has been hashed over already. I did a search but came up empty...

Anyway, I'm currently on the wait list at my BMW dealer for an M2. I've been a Porsche fan since I was a teenager, however, and am weighing the M2 against a 997.2, either CPO or with an aftermarket warranty. I've read similar discussions on BMW forums, and you can imagine the responses, i.e. "get the BMW because the 997 is a 20 year old platform based on the 996 and the M2/3/4 is much more modern and superior as a daily driver..." I want to hear your side of the story

This will be a daily driver, not a weekend-only car. I drive about 30 miles a day on a mix of highway and city streets. I live in central Texas, so winter weather is not a factor. Either car would be a six speed manual, and I would only get a 997 with PASM.

I do want something that I can take to the track a few times a year. There are three tracks, including COTA, that are just a short drive from me.

I also have two small kids that like to go for spirited rides. So I need a backseat that's usable till they become teenagers and want nothing to do with me. Are the 997 seats comfortable for a kid to ride 2 hours in? I took them on a test drive and they seemed to fit fine, but not sure of comfort for a long ride.

And then the final thing is warranty. CPO gets me two years on a 997, but the M2 would be brand new with 4 years bumper to bumper including maintenance, and I could buy a 10 year extended warranty too. Porsche's seem to have great reliability, though, so will it really be an issue?

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
The following users liked this post:
igrip (06-13-2023)
Old 07-29-2016, 04:58 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

The 997.2 for every reason EXCEPT that you want usable backseats for your kids until they are teenagers and for up to 2hrs at a time. That's not really what the 997.2 can deliver. Those seats are fine for anyone for a spin around the block, and they're fine for 7 year olds for drives around town, but 2hr hauls back there would be a lot to ask of anyone.

Many of us, including myself, have owned BMW's in the past. I actually still own one. The feel of the BMW is definitely there. Porsche has better feel, but the BMW does driving dynamics well. But the reliability is NOT the same. The fit and finish is NOT the same. The performance is NOT the same. And the looks, although subjective are also not the same. ///M guys are usually ///M guys, and Porsche guys are Porsche guys, so it is hard to get unbiased opinions. That said, because you're looking for a kid-friendly daily driver that you can track from time to time, perhaps the M2 is the better fit for your needs. Maybe even step it up to the M4 to have a little more space.

By the way, Road and Track had a long comparison between the M2, the M235i and the 228i and they enjoyed the 228i much more for commuting, canyon carving and track duties. Something to consider. I know it isn't an M, but it may be the better fit and will save you some money as well.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:09 PM
millertimefl
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Everything you said you want and need screams M2. I have a 997.2 and I love it but not a good daily and forget about passengers in the back unless it is around the block. I see and use my 911 as a weekend car and track car. I kinda see it like a sport bike/crotch rocket. Fast and fun but not for long hauls and never sees rain.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:12 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

M2
Old 07-29-2016, 05:13 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 209 Likes on 141 Posts

I would not replace my 997 GTS with an M2/3/4. That much I can say for sure.

I guess it all depends on how much you care about the individual aspects of the car for your particular use. I care about the driving dynamic itself more than anything else, so the mediocre fuel mileage, high cost of parts, and lack of utility do not factor in at all.

I would say its possible the M2/3/4 is superior as a daily driver, for certain people. For me, absolutely not. M2/3/4 are cars designed with compromise. The base models for all those cars are not of a sporting nature. Thusly the more sport focused varieties are built under consideration of the fact that the volume selling portion is not the same as the sporting varieties.

edit; my car is daily. probably 20k miles a year.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:18 PM
Nihil27
Track Day

Fined, I think you've hit on my core problem. Most of the time, it's just me in the car, and the driving dynamic is paramount. But the utility of wanting the kids in the car for family drives on the weekend is a strong pull toward the M2. I guess ultimately this is going to be a tug of war between practicality and individual desire. For me, the family almost always wins out. So I may be an M guy for the next ten years until the kids are older, and then I can get some fancy new electric hybrid Porsche just for me and my wife to tear around in. Maybe.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:25 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Just out of curiosity, what is preventing you from maybe picking up a second commuter car for less than $10k to do all the heavy lifting, and then having the Porsche for the days you feel like driving it?
The following users liked this post:
igrip (06-13-2023)
Old 07-29-2016, 05:30 PM
Nihil27
Track Day

Mostly that I'd want to drive the Porsche every day, so there's no point in the cheap commuter
Old 07-29-2016, 05:31 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 209 Likes on 141 Posts

Not sure if its possible, but I would suggest getting an extended test drive on the 997.2. I've been able to get one for a whole weekend.

Then you can schedule a family activity and see how it works out for ya.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:32 PM
bruinmd
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nihil27
Hey all,

N00b to the forum, so apologies if this has been hashed over already. I did a search but came up empty...

Anyway, I'm currently on the wait list at my BMW dealer for an M2. I've been a Porsche fan since I was a teenager, however, and am weighing the M2 against a 997.2, either CPO or with an aftermarket warranty. I've read similar discussions on BMW forums, and you can imagine the responses, i.e. "get the BMW because the 997 is a 20 year old platform based on the 996 and the M2/3/4 is much more modern and superior as a daily driver..." I want to hear your side of the story

This will be a daily driver, not a weekend-only car. I drive about 30 miles a day on a mix of highway and city streets. I live in central Texas, so winter weather is not a factor. Either car would be a six speed manual, and I would only get a 997 with PASM.

I do want something that I can take to the track a few times a year. There are three tracks, including COTA, that are just a short drive from me.

I also have two small kids that like to go for spirited rides. So I need a backseat that's usable till they become teenagers and want nothing to do with me. Are the 997 seats comfortable for a kid to ride 2 hours in? I took them on a test drive and they seemed to fit fine, but not sure of comfort for a long ride.

And then the final thing is warranty. CPO gets me two years on a 997, but the M2 would be brand new with 4 years bumper to bumper including maintenance, and I could buy a 10 year extended warranty too. Porsche's seem to have great reliability, though, so will it really be an issue?

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
I have a 997.2 GTS vert for sale that still has 18 months left on its CPO, super low miles, but with PDK.

I also recently put an order on a M2 which should arrive in November, in a 6MT.

They are very different cars-- from the engine, to the chassis, to the steering (feel and function both).

I may end up keeping my GTS for the simple reason that the 997.2 might be one of the best-- if not the best-- 911 made.
I think the M2 will feel a bit better for you as a DD and if you want your kids in it from time to time, it makes even more sense.
But comparing an inline turbo 6 to a NA flat 6 is Apples and oranges.

I've never owned a M car, and this M2 seems to be the best M car BMW has made in close to 2 decades-- sort of the M I've been waiting for, going back to the roots that made BMW famous for the M3. One of my friends who's been racing M3's for years is raving about this car, comparing it the E30-- with a modern day makeover.
There is a reason it's in such high demand. I wouldn't take the advice of the person who said get the M3/M4 -- those who have gotten that car are now kicking themselves for not waiting on the M2.
There's a great video online comparing the two that I'll post when I find it again.

Best of luck on your decision.

Last edited by bruinmd; 07-29-2016 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:33 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Porsche 997 all day - it's one of the greatest daily drivers money can buy and it's a 911 - a lot cooler than any BMW ever made.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:31 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 363 Likes on 224 Posts

the Porsche will be faster and have better steering feel / handling... if lap times are your thing.
Remember Porsche is all about the options.
Find a Carrera S or wide body 4s or widebody GTS with SPASM and Sport Chrono Plus with an LSD and welcome to a go kart that can haul things around..
I wouldn't daily a 997 no way BMW would be better at that... I have SPASM sport chrono plus Carrera 4s (so LSD and electronic twin clutch AWD) and ride is way too bumpy on many OKC and Texas roads but it is one hell of a track car!
Name:  IMG_1837-ZF-6566-92384-1-001_zps5hmw9try.jpg
Views: 1969
Size:  133.8 KB
Old 07-29-2016, 07:56 PM
speedracerf4i
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 108 Posts

Like you, I started out buying BMW's, I have owned many (still own) BMW's (new) since 1996. and have 2 teenage kids that wouldn't set foot in the back seat of my 997.2. Take it from me, for your needs and your needs alone, buy the M2.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:03 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Personally I would go 997.2. My daughter is now 4 and fits fine in her booster, and I think as kids out grow the booster seat they should still be able to fit until their teenage years. They are kids, they will love to tell stories when they are older about how dad shoved them in to the back of the small cramped Porsche. Just put the younger kid behind the driver and the older or taller kid behind the passenger where more room can generally be made. Now if the driver is over 6 foot and/or likes the seat all the way back, it might be harder to accommodate. But how much bigger is an M2 back seat, I cant imagine it being much bigger??? I wouldn't make my decision based on the back seat, make it based on the car you want more.

As far as the daily driver aspect, the 997.2 rides well and can be a great DD if you want it to be.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:12 PM
VanSant62
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really simple, if you need back seats get the M2, bummer for you though!

Quick Reply: 997.2 or BMW M2?