car dash camera

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 02:53 PM
Staff@WORLD
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 219 Likes on 129 Posts

I agree that the Blackvue is the best one available right now but you will pay a premium for that unit. A premium is about $400 for a Blackvue. Of course their are many cheaper options if that is what you are looking for.

If $400.00 is not a deal killer for you then spend it and get the Blackvue, you won't be sorry.
- Akrapovic - BMC - TechArt - H&R - By Design - AMS - CSF - Kline - NGK - TiLugs - HRE - M Engineering - ID Injectors -
FULL SERVICE INSTALLATION FACILITY - STATE OF THE ART WIND TUNNEL DYNO - ECU TUNING
WORLD-MOTORSPORTS.COM
Old 07-25-2016, 09:06 PM
Rikky001
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Surprised how expensive dashcams are in the US. Think South Korea is one of the countries with the highest density of dashcam drivers... Think I paid 250 USD for the topmodel. Maybe I need to set up a business!
Old 07-26-2016, 10:23 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 382 Likes on 247 Posts

Been doing a lot of research on dash cams. I settled on the A119. Seems to have great reviews, prior iteration had great reliability, something that was rare among dash cams. Got it from amazon with a 64GB card, 12v hook up and fuse kit for ~120 all in. Will post my review when its installed.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:59 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the Sony ActionCam in the car and on the motorcycle helmet. Amazing video quality and stability. You should check it out as it's designed better than the GoPro box.

Originally Posted by BHMav8r
I have been thinking of one also.
Maybe one I could also take on a motorcycle to document all the incompetents out there trying to kill me.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:51 PM
Rikky001
Racer

Don't know the Sony action cam. For sure it can film fantastically but can it also log gps data? Think it is important when you get into an incident that you can reveal all relevant parameters, including exact locations. Nobody likes it as all can be seen, including speed. These days I have front and rear camera, no sd card to take out and format from time to time, all bells and whistles and payed 400 USD. My other cars have front and back camera too. Here in South Korea insurance company requires you to install a dash cam. It is like smartphones, every 2 months new models seem to pop up and contrary to the phones, they become cheaper too!
Old 07-27-2016, 10:44 AM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, it logs GPS data as well, check it out.

Originally Posted by Rikky001
Don't know the Sony action cam. For sure it can film fantastically but can it also log gps data? Think it is important when you get into an incident that you can reveal all relevant parameters, including exact locations. Nobody likes it as all can be seen, including speed. These days I have front and rear camera, no sd card to take out and format from time to time, all bells and whistles and payed 400 USD. My other cars have front and back camera too. Here in South Korea insurance company requires you to install a dash cam. It is like smartphones, every 2 months new models seem to pop up and contrary to the phones, they become cheaper too!
Old 07-27-2016, 08:43 PM
Rikky001
Racer

Originally Posted by 997_Toronto
Yes, it logs GPS data as well, check it out.

Sounds good!
Old 07-28-2016, 03:46 AM
nevadakid
Advanced

@kellen
I have the previous version A118 in my car and I noticed the following.

I don't know if this is a bug with my unit only or if it is for all A118 but here goes.

I drove for a little bit and took out the 32 Gb Samsung (ultra fast) micro usb card to view the videos.

To my surprise I could not find the videos I was looking for. I checked every file that was recorded and discovered that there were pretty significant gaps between videos. They are supposed to continue from one file to the other but in my case, between the 1st and 2nd video there was 28 seconds missing, between the 2nd and 3rd video, 56 seconds, between the 3rd and 4th, 4 minutes and 58 seconds, between the 4th and 5th, 4 minutes and 32 seconds and between the 5th and 6th, there was 5 minutes 18 seconds missing!!! It's completely useless if you can't rely on the cam recording EVERY SINGLE SECOND including the potential accident/incident that you are willing to record.

I hope the A119 does not have this problem. Let me know.

Also very interested in how you had the unit connected to the fuse box.

Thanks for sharing
Old 07-28-2016, 07:12 AM
marsirover
Advanced

Default still not deciding.

Thanks everyone for putting in your experiences on certain model. Keep it coming.

I am incline to go with the blackvue for my Porsche since it has both front and rear cam. Seem like it has decent video clips on youtube, but poor reviews concerning customer service and less than clear images for licence plate readings while vehicles are moving.

And still on the fence about getting 2 more less expensive options for other two daily driving cars. Really look for 2 channel-options. So the A119 might not be a viable options for me.

Thanks
Old 07-28-2016, 10:48 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 382 Likes on 247 Posts

Was looking at blackvue as well, but the reviews seem to be all over the place as well as the customer service. I figured having a front camera was enough. Just put in the A119 last night and will try to get some video for up for people to review.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:07 PM
Devil Boy
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

This is what the Garmin 20 looks like. Displays date/time/GPS/speed. Phoenix doesn't have the worst drivers in the nation but they sure do try really hard for that top spot.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:32 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

Too cheap and ghetto?
cellphone works too...
App icarblack, blacksensor, blackbox etc. all free
some even dump by email to your inbox.
I even have one in my armrest. While I like to think I will use it, unless its hard wired and goes on by itself every time. Thus why the unit is in my armrest...
Attached Images  
Old 07-28-2016, 07:51 PM
Minok
Drifting

I've been using the blackvue HD for 5+ years.
It comes with a mount that will stick to the windscreen - you can mount it behind the mirror where you won't see it.
What I did was remove the adhesive and bolt on the spring clip from a garage-door opener to that mount, so I can clip the mount to my visor. That makes the camera mobile - so I can take it with me when I travel to mount in the rental cars.

The new Blackvues provide direct to smartphone feed capability - usefull if you want to show the officer at the crash site the footage. The old one I have has a video-out that would require a separate monitor - more for later post-processing really - pull the flash card, upload to PC, then save the footage.

If you want to keep it installed - ensure its on power that shuts off when the key is removed, or install the battery monitor that will power the camera down when the battery voltage drops to keep it from draining your car battery (this lets you record footage after you left the car parked for some time).
Old 07-28-2016, 10:14 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Devil Boy
This is what the Garmin 20 looks like. Displays date/time/GPS/speed. Phoenix doesn't have the worst drivers in the nation but they sure do try really hard for that top spot. Video Link: https://youtu.be/ab4wiseO5b4
Do you Ike the Garmin? It seems large. Or rather, I've been looking at the newer 35 and it seems large. If you mount it up high enough though, it is relatively unobtrusive? Pix of your mounting?
Old 08-05-2016, 11:28 AM
Devil Boy
Racer

Originally Posted by Saaboteur
Do you Ike the Garmin? It seems large. Or rather, I've been looking at the newer 35 and it seems large. If you mount it up high enough though, it is relatively unobtrusive? Pix of your mounting?
Sorry for late response. Here is a snapshot of where I mount the Garmin 20. It may look obtrusive but I've been using it long enough that it is one of those things I see right through. I plug it in at the passenger footwell socket. With the suction cup mount I can detach and reattach when I park. I don't want to risk sun damage or entice thieves plus it prevents me from putting up a sunshade.

Quick Reply: car dash camera