Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 vs 2008 C2s, all else being equal

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 09:59 PM
tritonic
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm surprised the 05 C2S had a single row bearing. Thought they all shipped with double rows. Do some research on bore scoring. That would be my main concern. For me the 2008 would justify a $8k premium all things being equal.

I've read people say the engine sounds better on the 05 and prefer the styling but that's personal preference.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:03 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Finally
I just went to Kelley Blue Book online to see what they say. Now I know many will say they are not indicative of the real value, but MANY people rely on them as a guide, so for argument sake they say the retail value in a private party transaction for the 2005 C2S is $31,494 in VG condition. The 2008 is $38,102. I didn't get into options and such but everything being equal.... Again even if it's not accurate they price them $6600 apart. As time goes by that will narrow. One of the most important things to consider is what will a potential buyer want when you go to sell? Personally I would go with the 2008. Wait, I just bought one, a cab though just 4 weeks ago tonight. Mine only had 4235 miles though.
Funny, I just did the same, and it only gave me a $4500 price difference with both in VG condition. Must depend on location. Also, I expect their VG condition range would be better for a newer car, so with both cars in the same condition, the difference should be smaller. Also the IMS upgrade. But I do agree that at resale a new buyer might not take any of that into account. So probably 4k to 5k is a reasonable price difference.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:40 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Something else to consider - the registration and insurance will be cheaper on the '05. The insurance part I never understood: In an accident the windshield, front fenders and various other bits would be nearly the same cost to replace. Go figure.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:48 PM
leon yagudayev
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

When I was buying my 2010 c2s 3 months ago I also had a choice between immaculate low miles 2006 and 2010 with higher miles but was cpo. The price difference was almost 15 grand. I took 2010 and don't regret it a single bit. Besides the fact that cars from 08 and up had all kinds of kinks worked out already, it's just a newer car. No matter how you slice it 3 years is a looooong time in auto world. Like one poster said " buy the newest car you can afford"
Old 07-22-2016, 10:58 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by leon yagudayev
When I was buying my 2010 c2s 3 months ago I also had a choice between immaculate low miles 2006 and 2010 with higher miles but was cpo. The price difference was almost 15 grand. I took 2010 and don't regret it a single bit. Besides the fact that cars from 08 and up had all kinds of kinks worked out already, it's just a newer car. No matter how you slice it 3 years is a looooong time in auto world. Like one poster said " buy the newest car you can afford"
But... The 2010 is a 997.2. It actually is better. The 2008 is a .1. It is very nearly identical to the 05. Put another way, the one year difference from 08 to 09 is muuuch bigger than the difference from 05 to 08.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:03 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate Tempest
If you're talking about different revisions, sure, but why would that apply to mechanically identical cars? And obviously not regardless of price...
If you can afford both, I would go with newer, but that is my bias. The older car would need to be a screaming deal. My assumption is that all else being equal, the newer car has less wear and tear on it. But, certainly things like maintenance history and mileage would come into play...T
Old 07-23-2016, 12:27 AM
leon yagudayev
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate Tempest
But... The 2010 is a 997.2. It actually is better. The 2008 is a .1. It is very nearly identical to the 05. Put another way, the one year difference from 08 to 09 is muuuch bigger than the difference from 05 to 08.
True. I forgot that 997.2 started at 09. My bad
Old 07-23-2016, 12:42 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by Philster
2008 for the win.

IMS is a non-issue after they beefed it up. 2008 also represents the zenith of manufacturing improvement for 997.1 engines and other components that are always introduced year over year.

The assurance that the "beefed up" IMS is a non-issue is still thrown around here regularly and I really don't understand why. It's a small issue but I don't think it serves prospective buyers of these cars well to insist that it's a non-issue.

Here....again:

Regardless, all M96 and M97 engines from 1997 through 2008 can suffer intermediate shaft bearing failures at any mileage and at any time.

For those with MY06-08 intermediate shafts that cannot have their bearings replaced, we recommend to remove the grease seal from the existing ball bearing, which allows for engine oil to lubricate the bearing, but only when doing another procedure like a clutch, flywheel, or rear main seal replacement. However, this bearing is still problematic and should be upgraded anytime the engine is apart or if replacing the intermediate shaft with a new replacement shaft.

https://www.oregonpca.org/resources/...he-full-story/
Old 07-23-2016, 01:01 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

8k on a 100k car less a factor but 8k on a 40k car is a 20% price difference. That's substantial. For 20% savings and all things equal and the 05 has the correct ims solution fix would buy that car over the 08 and put that 8k into wheels and an aero kit or others mods!
Old 07-23-2016, 01:08 AM
jaetee
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Finally
.... even if it's not accurate they price them $6600 apart. As time goes by that will narrow. One of the most important things to consider is what will a potential buyer want when you go to sell?
Are you buying to keep, or buying to sell?

With all things being otherwise equal, I think in this case a factor to consider should be how long the car is going to be kept. If you plan on seiling it within the next few years, the '08 is probably the better value-holder. if you plan on keeping the car a decade or two or three, the value difference for cars so similar in build will eventually be arbitrary.

I say that if the '05 with the upgraded IMS puts a smile on your face when you turn the key and drive it... consider how much $6-$8000 will buy you in terms of future repairs, or tires.

It's really a win-win scenario either way. but I'd probably "settle" for the '05.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:49 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Which one has more of the options and color combo that appeals to you? Have you seen detailed service histories on both cars? Which one has had more things replaced? Was the clutch done with the IMS on the '05? Which one has newer brakes and tires, i.e. will not need replacement as soon?

Those to me would be the deciding factors. You're talking about an 8 yr old car vs a 12 yr old, so age-related failures aren't going to be all that different. Either one could have bore scoring, it affects all those years. I see the replaceable IMS as a plus, but ONLY if it was done to a pristine OEM bearing. If the OEM bearing had started to shed, then all bets are off.

The $8K price difference is going to dwindle, as the '08 is depreciating faster than the '05. Personally if TRULY all else was equal, I would rather save the $8K and have it for repairs, which will likely be the same on either car.
Old 07-23-2016, 01:29 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Ya, I think I'm echoing your thinking Ben. The cars really are remarkably similar. Same options, same silver on black. Even similar black wheels. The 05 did have the clutch done along with the IMS. Both were done by the same Porsche specialty shop that I'll have do the ppi, so I can ask them about the condition of the outgoing bearing. They will also do a compression test and a borescope, and check for overrev codes. (Will do that on whichever car I go for.)

The 05 will need new front brakes and rear tires soon. I'm taking that into account, but didn't mention it here to avoid confusing the main question. I've priced them though, and will use that when negotiating. Otherwise they've both had some minor work done following the dealer inspections. Most significant was a water pump on the 08 iirc. Neither has a complete maintenance history unfortunately.
Old 07-23-2016, 01:39 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

If this is likely the forever car that you keep for a long long time, get the less expensive one of the two, assuming all things are equal in mileage and condition. If this is a car you plan on selling or trading in within the next 3 or 4 years, or want to have the flexibility to do so, then buy the newer car because it will be easier to sell and recoup more of the money you have put into it.
Old 07-23-2016, 01:43 PM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

As far as "everything else being equal", I'm reminded of our training to be little league umpires with reference to the old adage - 'tie goes to the runner'. The guidance: there are no ties!
Old 07-24-2016, 11:18 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
The assurance that the "beefed up" IMS is a non-issue is still thrown around here regularly and I really don't understand why. It's a small issue but I don't think it serves prospective buyers of these cars well to insist that it's a non-issue.

Here....again:
I think it serves people well to know that it's a non-issue, because eliminating a 2006-2008, and or devaluing them based on misinformation, affects decisions and the paranoia affects values, so it all affects me from a value and supply-and-demand perspective, so for all intents and purposes, and in the most practical and realistic language possible: Larger IMSB from Porsche effectively removes from the list the IMSB failure as real concern.

Quick Reply: 2005 vs 2008 C2s, all else being equal