Sponsored by:

2005 vs 2008 C2s, all else being equal

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 07:27 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 71 Posts
Default 2005 vs 2008 C2s, all else being equal

I'm comparing a very similar 05 and 08 C2S. Both have about 50k km (30k miles). The 05 has recently upgraded IMS. Both are in very similar cosmetic condition. So, my question is... All else being equal, is an 08 still worth more than an 05 with IMS retrofit? And if so, how much? As far as I can tell, the aftermarket IMS, if anything, should be superior to the 08. Everything else is basically identical, with the exception of climate control switches, which can be reconditioned. Obviously the 05 has three more calendar years on it,so whatever static aging occurs in that time.

My guess is that the main difference is that an uninformed buyer would be willing to pay more for an 08 than an 05, so the seller is going to want more?
Old 07-22-2016, 07:53 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your assumption is correct. With all things being equal, the 08 is more valuable. When it comes time for resale, the prospective buyer will not have to worry about the IMS on the 08. Its one less thing to worry about. I have an 08 but would hae considered an upgraded 05 if the price was right. Little did I know the sticky buttons was addressed in 06? So there's that little bonus.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:30 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,435 Likes on 897 Posts

I would say that the '08 is worth more, even to informed buyers. It's three years newer than the '05.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:40 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

2008 for the win.

IMS is a non-issue after they beefed it up. 2008 also represents the zenith of manufacturing improvement for 997.1 engines and other components that are always introduced year over year.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:40 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

I think if you have the finances taken care of, you buy the newest car you can, unless there is some option, color, etc. that you have to have...T
Old 07-22-2016, 08:45 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I would say that the '08 is worth more, even to informed buyers. It's three years newer than the '05.
Agreed that that should make some difference, but I wouldn't think it'd be much. How much aging can really happen in three years? (Of additional sitting. Mileage is the same.) And if anything the newly upgraded IMS in the 05 should be safer than the original on the 08. Both are almost certainly fine though. And I'll be compression testing and borescoping either one before buying.

I'm just trying to determine whether it makes sense to pay more for the 08 based on the model year difference alone. And if so, how much. Currently the asking prices differ by $10k CAD (about 8k USD), which seems like a lot. Of course those are just asking prices.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:53 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tomc_mets
I think if you have the finances taken care of, you buy the newest car you can, unless there is some option, color, etc. that you have to have...T
If you're talking about different revisions, sure, but why would that apply to mechanically identical cars? And obviously not regardless of price...
Old 07-22-2016, 09:01 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

All things being equal, always buy the newest you can UNLESS the older car is a marque car and desirable... say like a 993TT
Old 07-22-2016, 09:12 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rbennett
All things being equal, always buy the newest you can UNLESS the older car is a marque car and desirable... say like a 993TT
In general, sure, but surely value comes into play. If you had the choice of an 05 for 30k or an 08 for 50k, with the same miles, you wouldn't buy the 08, right? I'm really surprised at everyone saying to just buy the newer one regardless of price.

Perhaps there have been small tweaks between the two, besides the switches and the IMS, but I've searched and haven't found any. I agree that they might exist but again, does that mean that you would all completely disregard any model year besides the newest you can afford, even in the same model revision?
Old 07-22-2016, 09:15 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Are you sure the after market IMS is better than the stock factory model? The IMS didn't just appear in watercooled 911s...all 911s (pre 2009) have them. The air cooled where drive sump lubrication, that is the major difference. The later 3rd generation ISM bearing suffers a less than 1% failure...and there are high milage models of the 996 still running on their more vulnerable bearings. From what I've read here, the aftermarket bearings should be changed every 5 years/50,000...and those installed by less than savy shops are failing sooner. All the while the vast majority of factory bearings just keep rolling along. I would recommend the 08 for all the reasons already stated, including 3 more years of manuafacturing the final version of the bearing.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:28 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Correct Nate, if there are compelling differences for buying an earlier model then do so. I was just responding to the OP that said all things being equal so i'm assuming equal mileage, price and such.

Originally Posted by Nate Tempest
In general, sure, but surely value comes into play. If you had the choice of an 05 for 30k or an 08 for 50k, with the same miles, you wouldn't buy the 08, right?
Old 07-22-2016, 09:35 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rbennett
Correct Nate, if there are compelling differences for buying an earlier model then do so. I was just responding to the OP that said all things being equal so i'm assuming equal mileage and such.
I am the OP. Basically all else appears equal, except the price. If everything including price were equal, then of course the 08. But what I'm wondering is how much more it's worth paying for it, based on year alone. More than zero but less than infinity. Would you pay $8000 more for an 08 than an 05 with upgraded IMS, all else equal?
Old 07-22-2016, 09:44 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,435 Likes on 897 Posts

Agreed that that should make some difference, but I wouldn't think it'd be much. How much aging can really happen in three years? (Of additional sitting. Mileage is the same.) And if anything the newly upgraded IMS in the 05 should be safer than the original on the 08. Both are almost certainly fine though. And I'll be compression testing and borescoping either one before buying.

I'm just trying to determine whether it makes sense to pay more for the 08 based on the model year difference alone. And if so, how much. Currently the asking prices differ by $10k CAD (about 8k USD), which seems like a lot. Of course those are just asking prices.
I see your point. All else being equal, we all agree that the newer car is worth more because it's newer. The question is: "how much more is it worth?" I think you need to consider things other than the IMSB. The newer car is less likely to have things wear and break in the short term because it's newer. The motor mounts are newer. The window regulators are newer. The water pump is newer. Do these facts mean that the newer car will be more reliable? Absolutely not. However, they mean that it's more likely to be more reliable. You are paying more for the newer car to mitigate the risk of expensive repairs. Only you can decide how much that's worth to you. You may decide that it's worth more to buy the less expensive car and take a risk on more repairs. Many people mitigate this risk with a detailed PPI, with service records, etc.

I think you should look at market prices, get a good idea of the difference in real price between the two options, and then make the decision that you feel has the least amount of risk.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:50 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Fair enough, I think Dennis covered all points well but I would like to add one. When you resale you may get a buyer thats wants the newest model given their budget. 8k seems high but then what does the market say when you compare for instance on KBB?

I am the OP. Basically all else appears equal, except the price. If everything including price were equal, then of course the 08. But what I'm wondering is how much more it's worth paying for it, based on year alone. More than zero but less than infinity. Would you pay $8000 more for an 08 than an 05 with upgraded IMS, all else equal?
Old 07-22-2016, 09:55 PM
911Finally
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just went to Kelley Blue Book online to see what they say. Now I know many will say they are not indicative of the real value, but MANY people rely on them as a guide, so for argument sake they say the retail value in a private party transaction for the 2005 C2S is $31,494 in VG condition. The 2008 is $38,102. I didn't get into options and such but everything being equal.... Again even if it's not accurate they price them $6600 apart. As time goes by that will narrow. One of the most important things to consider is what will a potential buyer want when you go to sell? Personally I would go with the 2008. Wait, I just bought one, a cab though just 4 weeks ago tonight. Mine only had 4235 miles though.

Quick Reply: 2005 vs 2008 C2s, all else being equal