Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good deal on 2006 C4S?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016 | 08:40 PM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rikky001
My opinion about this, I don't pay a higher price for a car with lower mileage for a 10 year old car.
Rikky001,

You bring up a good point, The OP would be paying a higher price just for low miles which can be a bad thing if they plan on doing a lot of driving. a $49K dollar 2006 997 is going to depreciate a lot once the miles get put on.

I paid $37K for my 997 C2S with 46K miles, I think I got a fair price for the car and I drive it everyday.
Old 07-21-2016 | 09:30 PM
Rikky001
Racer

Originally Posted by frankyluis23
Rikky001,

You bring up a good point, The OP would be paying a higher price just for low miles which can be a bad thing if they plan on doing a lot of driving. a $49K dollar 2006 997 is going to depreciate a lot once the miles get put on.

I paid $37K for my 997 C2S with 46K miles, I think I got a fair price for the car and I drive it everyday.
Agree, at the end of the day it is up to the individual.

My friend here sold his Carrera GT recently with 46000 km on it. Most people willing to spend 580 000 USD for the car wanted to have a low mileage CGT so they can store it another 10 years and sell it for a million USD in 10 years. (think that is the theory behind)
A young, obvious successful, guy bought the car after the testdrive with the remark that it was the first CGT he drove which was driven "loose" as a lot of CGT's are very low mileage...No reason to argue about past maintenance or clutch measurements. He got the 3 replaced clutches as souvenirs and the full maintenance history as evidence.

Back to the topic; I know a few people who were looking for a low mileage 997.1 in the believe this is the best, an old car which is still "new". Two had an engine failure within a year from purchase, they paid more for a low mileage car and experienced a 20 000 USD los to fix the engine (which they did not do). Better to buy a cheap(er), high mileage 997.1 where you calculate in 20 000 USD for a new engine, nothing to worry about anymore. Unfortunately, some people want cheap and new, that is not existing - or you must be very lucky!
Old 07-22-2016 | 12:31 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mike cap

I see this bs all the time. Yeah, it's true if the car was stored outside for ten years in the northeast getting rained and snowed on and eaten by mice. But a S Cal car? Seriously?

My 40,000 mile 1997 993 starts, runs and drives like new and all the oil filled bits are dry on the outside. I've never had any maintenance issue associated with the low mileage per year.

It's a brand new ten year old car at probably 40% of its new cost. If the PPI check out buy it and enjoy it.
I don't think the concern here is rain, snow or mice but the IMS bearing which your 993 doesn't have. There seems to be some consensus out there that IMS failures in 996's and 997.1's - rare as they are - happen more frequently in cars that spent much of their life sitting around, regardless of location and/or climate. The theory, as I've read it is that the bearing receives proper lubrication only when operating on a regular basis.
Old 07-22-2016 | 12:36 AM
wardrive
Rennlist Member

Op instead of posting a feeling let me tell you a fact. I brought a 997 with 7k and have absolutely no problems. If the owners shows they took care of the car and it checks out with a PPI you"really be fine.
Old 07-22-2016 | 11:49 AM
Rikky001
Racer

Originally Posted by wardrive
Op instead of posting a feeling let me tell you a fact. I brought a 997 with 7k and have absolutely no problems. If the owners shows they took care of the car and it checks out with a PPI you"really be fine.
Lucky you. 7000 km in 10 year, the owner showed they took care; Taking dust of, more taking dust of and rotating the flattened tires every 12 months or so most probably. Hope the car has not the original tires anymore as they have seen only 7k and are still "new"...
Old 07-22-2016 | 08:04 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Good lord guys.....

Back on topic. Get a good PPI and drive it. There is a cut off in 06 where Porsche updated the IMS. Do some digging and see where you car fits it. If its after the cut off, but it and enjoy. I have an 08 White/Tan C4S and could not be happier. Southern California cars have a reputation for being clean.....and for good reason.
Old 07-22-2016 | 08:15 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Originally Posted by captainbaker
Good lord guys.....

Back on topic. Get a good PPI and drive it. There is a cut off in 06 where Porsche updated the IMS. Do some digging and see where you car fits it. If its after the cut off, but it and enjoy. I have an 08 White/Tan C4S and could not be happier. Southern California cars have a reputation for being clean.....and for good reason.
cutoff for IMS update was in '05.
Old 07-22-2016 | 08:29 PM
Ditchhanger
Rennlist Member

First off, thanks everyone for all the responses. I really do appreciate it.

I contacted the sales rep and he sent me the build sheet for the car as well as the Carfax. It's a nice build sheet and the build date was May 2006, so I'm sure the IMS issue is not an issue. The car is actually a one-owner car. The previous owner ordered the car in Newport Beach, CA at a Porsche dealership that was a Techart dealer (where all the exterior options were added) and once that was done, it was shipped here to Hawaii. No other owners were ever recorded according to Carfax.

I went to the dealership and spoke to their mechanic who did the inspection and asked if there were any leaks or wet spots or anything that would be an indication of any RMS issues, but he said the car looked great and there was nothing he could see wrong with it.

I guess at this point, everything has been addressed. They are planning to fix the AC buttons and center console, as well as a few small marks on the leather dash and detail the car inside and out. I'm planning on going back today to give them my final offer so hopefully they take it.
Old 07-22-2016 | 11:12 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by captainbaker
Good lord guys.....

Originally Posted by rickdogg82
cutoff for IMS update was in '05.
Just so nobody is misled, the IMS was updated late 2005 but still had/has issues. There are documented cases of IMS failures of -06, -07 and -08 cars. Rare to be sure but they do happen.

Regardless, all M96 and M97 engines from 1997 through 2008 can suffer intermediate shaft bearing failures at any mileage and at any time.

For those with MY06-08 intermediate shafts that cannot have their bearings replaced, we recommend to remove the grease seal from the existing ball bearing, which allows for engine oil to lubricate the bearing, but only when doing another procedure like a clutch, flywheel, or rear main seal replacement. However, this bearing is still problematic and should be upgraded anytime the engine is apart or if replacing the intermediate shaft with a new replacement shaft.

https://www.oregonpca.org/resources/...he-full-story/

Quick Reply: Good deal on 2006 C4S?