Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy a wheel, or redo it in Alcantara.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 03:27 PM
GT2RSobsessed
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

delete. (see previous post for update)

Last edited by GT2RSobsessed; 03-22-2017 at 04:52 PM.
Old 04-29-2017, 12:11 AM
GT2RSobsessed
Rennlist Member

I bought a torque wrench off Amazon to reinstall the steering wheel to the correct tightness for when it comes in. I purchased a TEKTON 24335 1/2-Inch Drive Click Torque Wrench (10-150 ft.-lb./13.6-203.5 Nm) and it seems gigantic. I also purchased TEKTON 4971 1/2-Inch Drive Impact Extension Bar Set, Cr-V, 3-Piece and TEKTON 4957 Impact Adapter and Reducer Set, Cr-V, 4-Piece.

Is this the correct size torque wrench or should I have gotten a 3/8 torque wrench or 1/4 torque wrench? I already have the correct Torx bit.
Old 04-29-2017, 01:20 AM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 58 Posts

You actually don't need a torque wrench.
Old 04-29-2017, 03:49 AM
GT2RSobsessed
Rennlist Member

Found the answer from use of the search function. 1/2 torque wrench is correct. T55 bolt torqued to 37lbs.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:17 AM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 133 Posts

Torque wrench size doesn't matter. If it goes to the right ft/lbs your good.

Like any other ratchet you can use adaptors to go from 3/8, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 in any combination to fit the proper socket or drive.

Some make more sense for certain applications just so it's easier to work with. However, it doesn't matter as long as it goes to the proper ft/lbs.
Old 04-29-2017, 04:28 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 575 Likes on 344 Posts

is there anyway you can cut a small piece of material on an area that isnt visible (ie. the excess material that is underneath/behind) and then send to him? I've found that all oem pieces of leather don't match each other based on the part of the car that they are on. ie. my leather steering wheel isnt a direct match for my oem leather dash, not a match for the adaptive leather seats... but all are very close.

Originally Posted by GT2RSobsessed
I got in contact with Ledermanz. I showed him examples of the sand beige alcantara headliner and he sent me a picture of their beige alcantara. Do you guys think this is a close match? The lighting of all pictures is different, so I think that throws it off and makes it hard to compare. Based on these pictures alone it looks like the ebay ad picture and his no flash picture look to be very similar in color.

Suncoast with flash - don't pay attention to red arrows/hands
Attachment 1147634
Ebay ad for oem sand beige alcantara/suede headliner (looks like no flash)
Attachment 1147635
No flash LedermanZ
Attachment 1147640
With flash LedermanZ
Attachment 1147641

Anyone near their car who could snap a picture of their sand beige headliner without using flash? I won't be near my car any time soon.
Old 04-29-2017, 04:30 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MemeMagno
LedermanZ? Between $400 to $500, + $40 shipping back. You have to ship it to Riga via USPS $67 (from Chicago - basic service // No Fedex or UPS because they charge $470). LedemanZ is the place where most customer in Germany get theirs wheels re-done...and some "custom shops" who are offering "re-wrapping" wheel service, are actually getting them from Alex too. Let me put it this way, with LedermanZ you get true RUF / Techart quality...for just a fraction of their price. Only takes 20 days since the day you ship the core, and PayPal protection...
holy crap - ledermanZ quality is amazing .... wish i knew of him beforehand, i have never seen a flat bottom (and top) wheel refurbished with both upper/lower thumbgrips, very very well done.

its undeniable from the photos that the quality/materials is next level (practically oem).

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/262942415427?...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Old 05-02-2017, 12:59 AM
GT2RSobsessed
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by myw
is there anyway you can cut a small piece of material on an area that isnt visible (ie. the excess material that is underneath/behind) and then send to him? I've found that all oem pieces of leather don't match each other based on the part of the car that they are on. ie. my leather steering wheel isnt a direct match for my oem leather dash, not a match for the adaptive leather seats... but all are very close.
I guess you could. But I sent a bunch of pieces to Ledermanz and when he saw them in person, the original suggestion was too light, so he actually sent me another sample of a new darker beige alcantara that matches the ash tray and arm rest better. So I went with that option. He told me he had to special order the darker sand beige alcantara from Germany. The wheel and other pieces I sent are all getting worked on, I've been anxiously waiting. Can't wait to get them back! FYI, $77 shipping from NY to Riga, Latvia. Updated pricing - Steering wheel alone is $799 -$200 for using core wheel+shipping from Riga to NY ~$85.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:02 PM
GT2RSobsessed
Rennlist Member

Update! The steering wheel and all the bits and pieces are done. IMO this wheel is more oem-like compared to the more tuner look of the wheels with the thumb tracks/grooves. Overall I am very happy with my specs. I based it off the gt3 997 wheel, besides flat bottom + color matched to my sand beige interior.

Specs:
Beige Alcantara
2mm thicker padding compared to stock
Flat bottom
White Leather mark at 12 o'clock
Matching Beige stitching

Arm rest, ash tray, e brake, e brake back, shifter and boot all wrapped in Alcantara.

Name:  lmz.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  275.9 KB
Attached Images   

Last edited by GT2RSobsessed; 05-03-2017 at 04:17 PM. Reason: more pictures
Old 05-03-2017, 01:45 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Quality and workmanship is top notch - although I am a little surprised you didn't upgrade to the newer 997.2 steering wheel.

Update! The steering wheel and all the bits and pieces are done. IMO this wheel is more oem-like compared to the more tuner look of the wheels with the thumb tracks/grooves. Overall I am very happy with my specs. I based it off the gt3 997 wheel + flat bottom + custom color to match my interior. Specs: Beige Alcantara 2mm thicker padding compared to stock Flat bottom White Leather mark at 12 o'clock Matching Beige stitching Arm rest, ash tray, e brake, e brake back, shifter and boot all wrapped in Alcantara.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:34 AM
GT2RSobsessed
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by myw
Quality and workmanship is top notch - although I am a little surprised you didn't upgrade to the newer 997.2 steering wheel.
I like that sport steering wheel a lot too, but I've read to upgrade to that sport steering wheel you also need to buy the new circular airbag. (See link - https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...nd-airbag.html ). I'm also keeping the full sand beige theme, not the typical change steering wheel and bits to black thing that's common on this forum. To switch to that wheel and customize it exactly like this wheel would be a very expensive project.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:46 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

yes for sure new steering wheel - the beige cores imo are cheap if you can find one. if you already have 2009 you wont need the module so its really not too bad imo.

I like that sport steering wheel a lot too, but I've read to upgrade to that sport steering wheel you also need to buy the new circular airbag. (See link - https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...nd-airbag.html ). I'm also keeping the full sand beige theme, not the typical change steering wheel and bits to black thing that's common on this forum. To switch to that wheel and customize it exactly like this wheel would be a very expensive project.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:01 AM
FLA 997
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Update! The steering wheel and all the bits and pieces are done. IMO this wheel is more oem-like compared to the more tuner look of the wheels with the thumb tracks/grooves. Overall I am very happy with my specs. I based it off the gt3 997 wheel, besides flat bottom + color matched to my sand beige interior.

Specs:
Beige Alcantara
2mm thicker padding compared to stock
Flat bottom
White Leather mark at 12 o'clock
Matching Beige stitching

Arm rest, ash tray, e brake, e brake back, shifter and boot all wrapped in Alcantara.

Attachment 1161666
Very nice! Can you give me a breakdown of prices to do all these parts?
Old 05-05-2017, 10:31 PM
Aquary
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, those are some nice looking parts.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:14 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

when does it get re-installed into car?

Quick Reply: Buy a wheel, or redo it in Alcantara.....