Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black Stone Guards

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 02:23 PM
RaidersR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to a tint company that knows what to do. They had my car done in 2 hours.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:29 PM
toona
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Just to follow up.. my MagnaGrafik stone guards fell off at speed (and got lost). I emailed the company and they implied that it was my fault, didnt care or offer to fix it. Lost me as a customer for good.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:35 PM
F308gt4
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by toona
Just to follow up.. my MagnaGrafik stone guards fell off at speed (and got lost). I emailed the company and they implied that it was my fault, didnt care or offer to fix it. Lost me as a customer for good.
Oh man, that sucks.

Approx what speed is "at speed". 3 digits?

Thanks.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:10 PM
RaidersR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you imagine how many people call and make the claim? Don't take it as non support but as protection from loss. Just because you drive a Porsche doesn't mean people are always honest. Not saying you are not mind you. Just that's the way it is.
Old 08-27-2016, 02:27 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts

Another option for those wanting black stone guards: PlastiDip.

I masked the perimeter of my yellowed/hazy factory clear guards with some painters tape and sprayed with black PlastiDip (actually I think it was a Rustoleum equivalent). Took about an hour to wash and clean the area (car soap and water followed by wipe with alcohol on a towel on the sticker), mask and spray several coats.

Note that you don't need to be too precise when you mask. The edge of the factory sticker provides a tear point when you peel up the overspray. Read the instructions on your paint, but i think I did 3 light coats followed by a wet coat. The wet coat is the tricky one as it may want to run. I got a bit of sagging in some heavy spots, but it mostly flattened out when dry and is not noticeable from a couple feet.

Peel the masking after an hour of dry time and clean up any overspray. I trimmed the cotton heads off of a Qtip and used the paper stick as a soft scraper to clean up any extra residue around the edge (using the factory sticker as a guide).

Looks great. Less than $10. Completely reversible. Time (8 mos and going strong), heat (Houston summer), and speed (um, fast) tested.

Last edited by Brainz; 08-27-2016 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:38 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

I masked the perimeter of my yellowed/hazy factory clear guards with some painters tape and sprayed with black PlastiDip (actually I think it was a Duplicolor equivalent). Looks great. Took about an hour to wash and clean the area (car soap and water followed by wipe with alcohol on a towel on the sticker), mask and spray several coats.

Note that you don't need to be too precise when you mask. The edge of the factory sticker provides a tear point when you peel up the overspray. Read the instructions on your paint, but i think I did 3 light coats followed by a wet coat. The wet coat is the tricky one as it may want to run. I got a bit of sagging in some heavy spots, but it mostly flattened out when dry and is not noticeable from a couple feet.

Peel the masking after an hour of dry time and clean up any overspray. I trimmed the cotton heads off of a Qtip and used the paper stick as a soft scraper to clean up any extra residue around the edge (using the factory sticker as a guide).

Looks great. Less than $10. Completely reversible. Time (8 mos and going strong), heat (Houston summer), and speed (um, fast) tested.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:06 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Brainz, please let us know what the old, clear stone guards look like when you remove the Plasti-Dip. I have read about some color staining when dark P-Dip is sprayed over light-colored surfaces and left on for a while. Some people recommend a base-coat of a light color or clear as a buffer before you spray dark P-Dip onto a contrasting surface.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:21 AM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Iceter
Brainz, please let us know what the old, clear stone guards look like when you remove the Plasti-Dip. I have read about some color staining when dark P-Dip is sprayed over light-colored surfaces and left on for a while. Some people recommend a base-coat of a light color or clear as a buffer before you spray dark P-Dip onto a contrasting surface.
Will do. I'm assuming you're mostly concerned about the staining assuming you have nice existing clear guards. If your clear guards are nice, I might lay down a coat or two of clear or gray to protect it as you suggest.

Since mine were yellow and chalky/rough I'll probably just recoat them with the black if I need to. The factory guard makes the perfect template for PlastiDip, so no point in removing it, even if in bad shape, if all you plan on doing is covering it with PlastiDip.
Old 09-02-2016, 11:11 AM
F308gt4
Racer

Originally Posted by Brainz
How hard is it to clean? That area gets a lot of dust.
Old 09-02-2016, 12:16 PM
toona
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Mine came off in light rain flirting around triple digits
Old 09-02-2016, 02:57 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

162mph on the back stretch of California Speedway...very dry conditions. They stuck like glue as did the magnetic side graphics.
Attached Images  
Old 09-02-2016, 03:04 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Brainz
Will do. I'm assuming you're mostly concerned about the staining assuming you have nice existing clear guards. If your clear guards are nice, I might lay down a coat or two of clear or gray to protect it as you suggest.

Since mine were yellow and chalky/rough I'll probably just recoat them with the black if I need to. The factory guard makes the perfect template for PlastiDip, so no point in removing it, even if in bad shape, if all you plan on doing is covering it with PlastiDip.
Yes, you're right. My clear guards are yellowed and scuffed but not dramatically so. So if I don't like the Plasti-Dip and want to peel it off, I don't want the underlying clear guards to be stained and look worse than they already are.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:54 PM
F308gt4
Racer

Mine came off in light rain flirting around triple digits
That will do it. I remember calling Micrografik a few weeks after I ordered, asking about my order. We got to chatting, and he mentioned that if they get wet, you should remove them and dry them off. The capillary effect will get water to go underneath the stone guards, and the result is to make them "less sticky".

Perhaps they should include this warning with the stoneguards (maybe they do, but I guess I didn't read it).

Luckily, I live in Socal, so don't really need to worry about the rain too often.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:04 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

Never seen rain....it's a myth in SoCal.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:06 AM
MIK911
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The good 'ol days
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Black Stone Guards