Sponsored by:

High oil temp during spirited drive

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 01:00 AM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Philster
What part was crazy? You check everything (this is called maintenance and routine if you're pushing things). Who doesn't check fluid levels and ensure the radiators are clear and what not?

If you mean discussing oil is crazy, then qualify your comment as being directed at that.
The hypochondriac part was a little much. "Check everything, and then move onto more complex issues." Don't get me wrong, I obsess as much or more than the next guy, BUT I am aware of this affliction. There are no issues with those temps, which is the real point to be made here.

If the temps had been 275+ he would've said so. Peaking around 250 is par for the course when you drive aggressively for any duration in warmer temps. Duration is the real key here.

Enough on that. For the question at hand, spend five minutes at 100mph and the temp will stabilize at 225 ish. 130mph generates between 230-240 and so on. Those speeds are normal autobahn cruising speeds. Go faster and the temps get a little higher, closer to 250. You can spend long stretches at 130-150mph+ and after an hour or two the temps never deviate.
The following users liked this post:
FlatsixS (04-10-2020)
Old 06-10-2016, 03:05 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by JAGMAN1
The hypochondriac part was a little much. "Check everything, and then move onto more complex issues." Don't get me wrong, I obsess as much or more than the next guy, BUT I am aware of this affliction. There are no issues with those temps, which is the real point to be made here.

If the temps had been 275+ he would've said so. Peaking around 250 is par for the course when you drive aggressively for any duration in warmer temps. Duration is the real key here.

Enough on that. For the question at hand, spend five minutes at 100mph and the temp will stabilize at 225 ish. 130mph generates between 230-240 and so on. Those speeds are normal autobahn cruising speeds. Go faster and the temps get a little higher, closer to 250. You can spend long stretches at 130-150mph+ and after an hour or two the temps never deviate.
Great post! Tell that to American owners... who drive little and do not exercise their engines within their performance envelope.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:14 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Driving under a car's performance envelope is hardly an American thing. Germans, Italians, French, etc... doesn't matter. It's a people thing... worldwide.

What's amazing is that Americans who want to do so can actually find ways to push their cars. In Germany, it's a bit easier to go 130 for a stretch. No one is exactly making it easy in the USA.

I've learned that what doesn't bother me, such as 250+ oil, bothers others, and if they go and check their car, see it's okay, they come back here feeling like they've done something. Okay, 'complex issues' was a bit much. Fair enough.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:21 AM
Alexandrius
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Normal imo.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:01 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Philster
Driving under a car's performance envelope is hardly an American thing. Germans, Italians, French, etc... doesn't matter. It's a people thing... worldwide.

What's amazing is that Americans who want to do so can actually find ways to push their cars. In Germany, it's a bit easier to go 130 for a stretch. No one is exactly making it easy in the USA.

I've learned that what doesn't bother me, such as 250+ oil, bothers others, and if they go and check their car, see it's okay, they come back here feeling like they've done something. Okay, 'complex issues' was a bit much. Fair enough.

You misread my comment. I said: "... [many Americans] drive [their Porsches] little and do not exercise their engines within their performance envelope." I did not say above the envelope, which many often do, for example with cold engines.

It is easy to get an engine at high temp in the US, in states with hilly topography, while keeping Vmax pretty low...
Old 06-10-2016, 04:02 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Semantics. The point is about people pushing their cars vs. not pushing their cars. People all over the world never come close to pushing the envelope.

It's not an American thing.

Old 06-10-2016, 04:21 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

X2 for checking the front rads for debris and junk. Quick look, shop vac, maybe a rinse.
Then go out and push to what you think you can get away with.

Quick Reply: High oil temp during spirited drive