Sponsored by:

mixing Pentosin 11S and 202

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016 | 01:44 PM
patriot993
Pro

Default mixing Pentosin 11S and 202

Quick question...

My steering whines a bit at low speeds (for example, when pulling into a parking space). It has been doing it for some time, didn't really bother me but finally decided to do something about it.

Checked the Power steering level...not even registering on the dip stick!

I have no idea what fluid previous owner used...I planned on using Pentosin 11S but seems like that has been superseded by 202. If I was to put in some 202 and the previous owner used 11S, would that cause a problem?

thanks!
Old 06-05-2016 | 01:58 PM
namronorman
Intermediate

Mixable according to printed literature from Pentosin and confirmed by my local p dealer.
Old 06-05-2016 | 02:24 PM
patriot993
Pro

Originally Posted by namronorman
Mixable according to printed literature from Pentosin and confirmed by my local p dealer.
Thanks for the quick reply! sincerely appreciate it as want to put in an amazon order for the Pentosin
Old 06-05-2016 | 05:20 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

2009 C2S 99K MT

I have a leak in where the tank goes into the metal fitting.

Check my two threads here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...heck-tank.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...questions.html

As I note in the threads, there are two places to check for leaks. The first is just stick your head in over the engine with a flashlight and you can see down next to the tank. If shiny down there, you found your leak. The other place may be the steering rack itself. For this, squeeze the rack boots... if squishy, you have a leak in the rack and a new or rebuilt one is in your future. I believe you have to pull a wheel for access to the associated boot.

To replace the tank... on a 997.2, you have to remove the alternator and AC compressor.... so, I just keep Pentosin on hand. I checked lately and it definitly is leaking under the tank.... slow as all heck though. I have not had to add any in six months.... it is that slow.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 06-05-2016 | 09:11 PM
patriot993
Pro

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 99K MT

I have a leak in where the tank goes into the metal fitting.

Check my two threads here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...heck-tank.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...questions.html

As I note in the threads, there are two places to check for leaks. The first is just stick your head in over the engine with a flashlight and you can see down next to the tank. If shiny down there, you found your leak. The other place may be the steering rack itself. For this, squeeze the rack boots... if squishy, you have a leak in the rack and a new or rebuilt one is in your future. I believe you have to pull a wheel for access to the associated boot.

To replace the tank... on a 997.2, you have to remove the alternator and AC compressor.... so, I just keep Pentosin on hand. I checked lately and it definitly is leaking under the tank.... slow as all heck though. I have not had to add any in six months.... it is that slow.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Thanks Bruce - I am hoping I don't have a leak but I suppose that is the logical conclusion as the fluid has to go somewhere...will have to check this coming weekend
Old 06-10-2016 | 06:23 PM
patriot993
Pro

CRUD! Have I screwed up?

As I mentioned in original post, power steering dip stick was bone dry when engine COLD. So I decided to put a little Pentosin 202 in at a time and then keep checking dip stick. So I put in maybe a quarter of a cup...and now when I check the level is all the way to the HOT mark. I started car and moved the wheel back and forth to see if that made a difference - nope...still too high.

What is risk if fluid too high? If too high, will I need to get a siphon or pump to take some out?

I guess good news is the whine seems to have disappeared.

***update: I should have done a search before posting...did a search and all I need to do is take a turkey baster and take out some of the excess fluid.

Last edited by patriot993; 06-10-2016 at 10:08 PM. Reason: updated

Quick Reply: mixing Pentosin 11S and 202