Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Leak - Will someone check tank?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 03:22 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts
Default Power Steering Leak - Will someone check tank?

I had a power steering fluid leak and I think it is coming from the tank.

Could someone with a 997.2 please jiggle the tank and let me know if there is play? Mine does jiggle.... I am not talking about plastic flexing jiggle but it does seem to be a tiny bit loose.

There is dirty gunk all over and up the side of the tank. I just cleaned the tank side that is above the pump..... I wonder if it is spraying from that fitting? Most is below, but it went up the tank above the pump. Is it the pump?

I applied some torque on the fitting... it was solid ... didn't want to turn too hard though.

My Ford friend said to sprinkle baby powder around there and I will find the leak fast. I buttoned up the car so it will have to wait a few weeks... heading on a long road trip in the car tomorrow.

Thanx
Bruce in Philly

Dirty and grimy:

Cleaned:

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 12-07-2015 at 05:07 PM.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:46 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

no jiggle, no play - solid.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:12 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stevepow
no jiggle, no play - solid.
Thank you for this Steve.

Mine wiggles.

Hmmmm....... The diagram shows a screw/torx (#6) but this is absent on mine. There is no hole in the plastic for a screw. The plastic "fitting" or foot from the tank sits in a recess in the pump for alignment but there is definitely no screw hole in the plastic. You can see this foot or flange where #6 should go in my pic just a few mm down from the big pipe fitting on the pump... it looks like a hole is there but there is not as it is smooth plastic. If this is inaccurate, it is the first time I saw an issue with the PET diagrams.

The diagram is deceiving in that it appears the tank is in front of the pump, it is actually a bit recessed and is behind the top pipe fitting.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 12-09-2015, 07:22 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Default Update

Update:

I've driven around 600 miles and there appears to be no signs of leaking... however I have not pulled the airbox yet.

I found this pic of the tank and pump pulled from an Indonesian website and it shows the tank as it appears in my 2009.... without the screw and screw holes denoted in the Porsche PET diagram I posted above.

Really odd... the diagrams do not match what is installed in our cars.

As an aside, the pump has been revised about four times now as denoted in the increase of the last sequence number incremented four times.

I am going to take it appart in about two weeks and have a close look. I will clean it more thoroughly and then use the baby powder trick to help find the leak. I suspect it is in the tube between the tank and the pump.... if so, I probably won't do anything about it.... too much work (or too much money!).

The big question is has it been leaking for six years or six months?????

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Old 12-18-2015, 04:48 PM
syzygy333
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default power steering leak

I wonder if there is a suitable additive to slow/stop the leak?
I have been using lucas stop leak in my 87 jag for years.
in fact, it's probably ALL lucas fluid in there now!
my tank feels pretty solidly mounted too.
Old 12-18-2015, 05:26 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by syzygy333
I wonder if there is a suitable additive to slow/stop the leak?
I have been using lucas stop leak in my 87 jag for years.
in fact, it's probably ALL lucas fluid in there now!
my tank feels pretty solidly mounted too.
I think...... it is the tube and grommet between the tank and pump. A leak here is no issue as the system is not under pressure, just gravity. Not worth any risk of gumming up the pump or steering rack.

I'll bet I am not the only 2009 owner with this issue.... they just don't know it.. yet. Easy to see, just stick your head in there over the airbox and look down with a flashlight..... easy to see.

I am going to pull the airbox this weekend and see if there is more leaking. There is no noticeable level drop in the tank and I drove over 1,700 miles this past week. I understand replacement of the grommet requires pump removal, that requires alternator removal, that requires air con compressor...... argh.......

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 01-17-2016, 05:17 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Update:

I pulled the airbox to check if there was evidence of leaking. There was. But, the amount is so darn small I can not detect a fluid level change (the dipstick is on the backside of the reservoir cap).

I suspect the leak is at the joint between the tank and the pump (rubber? seal 9 in diagram). It appear the tank is pressed on to the pump as there is no way to get a wrench between the pump and tank to say tighten the joint. Not worth replacing as the job is a big one with removal of alternator and some say the AC compressor. Not worth it even when I love a challenge.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 04-02-2016, 07:16 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Update: I do have a super tiny leak.

I just checked my steering fluid and I can tell it is down a tiny tiny bit on the dipstick, and I can see some shiny goo down there using a flashlight. The drain is really slow.

It looks like this is something I will just have to live with. I suspect I will need to top this off once a year or so.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Cross link to another thread I started on this issue:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...questions.html

Quick Reply: Power Steering Leak - Will someone check tank?