Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil change failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016 | 10:52 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Default oil change failure

So decided to change the oil at 6K miles instead of waiting until 10K. Had a couple extra quarts of castrol edge and pennzoil euro (both 5w40) in the garage and saw an ad for $32.99 for 5 quarts of the pennzoil synthetic and STP filter at autozone. Went on line and they had a filter. $32 later I was home. Drained the oil, removed the filter, and then opened the new filter. Wrong filter. Autozone still has the filter for the m97 engine listed for the 2009. Dammit.

Car sitting in garage waiting for a filter in the mail.

As an aside - 37ft/lb for the oil pan drain plugs seems a ton. I just tightened it til it felt right.
Old 05-24-2016 | 12:01 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

I don't think mixing oil is smart.

Years ago... it didn't matter. Now? Stick to a brand/type and note that additive packages are very specific to certain oils, and some don't play nice.

It's the additives that do wonders for modern oils. You can, indeed, change oil types (e.g., from Mobile to Motul), unless you're going to some highly specialized type like DT40 where it'll not like much of any leftover oil, then you need to flush or follow other procedures.

But don't mix oils... because the additive packages, when in the best condition, are the defense against sludge.

Old 05-24-2016 | 12:39 PM
Hi-Arc
Rennlist Member

NAPA has the oil filters
Old 05-24-2016 | 12:58 PM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

+1 on Napa. They have a surprisingly good selection. I changed the oil in my CLS550 a while ago and got the wrong filter by mistake (they made a running change) and napa had the original supplier brand of filter in stock and cheap.
Old 05-24-2016 | 01:52 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

19 ft lbs. 37 is incorrect. 19 is the same for the bolt and the filter housing on a 997.2.

Don't worry, it really doesn't matter.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
The following users liked this post:
myw (02-12-2020)
Old 05-24-2016 | 03:05 PM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
19 ft lbs. 37 is incorrect. 19 is the same for the bolt and the filter housing on a 997.2.

Don't worry, it really doesn't matter.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Are you sure? Multiple DIY threads here state 37 lb-ft for the drain plug.
Old 05-24-2016 | 04:12 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kcheves
Are you sure? Multiple DIY threads here state 37 lb-ft for the drain plug.
I use 19 ft lbs for many many changes and obtained that value three of four years ago and never a drip. I don't remember where I got it from. I do use a plug with a magnet.... maybe from there. But I do remember seeing multiple sources with conflicting information of 19, 18, and 37 and spent way to much time chasing this value down.

My first or second oil change, I did something really stupid... I put my wrench on the bolt and tightened instead of loosened.... I have no idea how much pressure I applied but I will say, embarrassingly, it was way in excess of 37. I did no damage thank goodness.

Accuracy on this bolt is a low issue as nothing is being screwed or held together. I do use a small torque wrench set to 19, but honestly, you own judgement is fine. IMHO

I found this from an online manual for an '08 and it denotes 37. So maybe I am wrong, but the magnetic drain plug I have states 19... I don't know why it would be different but whatever.

http://workshop-manuals.com/porsche/...nd_oil_filter/

Peace
Bruce in Philly
The following users liked this post:
myw (02-12-2020)
Old 05-24-2016 | 05:12 PM
NYC_997
Advanced

Originally Posted by dgjks6
So decided to change the oil at 6K miles instead of waiting until 10K. Had a couple extra quarts of castrol edge and pennzoil euro (both 5w40) in the garage and saw an ad for $32.99 for 5 quarts of the pennzoil synthetic and STP filter at autozone. Went on line and they had a filter. $32 later I was home. Drained the oil, removed the filter, and then opened the new filter. Wrong filter. Autozone still has the filter for the m97 engine listed for the 2009. Dammit.

Car sitting in garage waiting for a filter in the mail.

As an aside - 37ft/lb for the oil pan drain plugs seems a ton. I just tightened it til it felt right.
Personally , i would dump all that oil out and get the correct oil for your car.

You can Amazon prime or Walmart mobil1 and have it right away.

If you want to spend some more on higher quality oil ... Amazon also carries Motul 5w40 and Mobil 1 5w50 which are both Porsche approved.

If you want to keep it as cheap as possible, get some Mobil 1 0w40 for like $21 for 5qt jug

Napa does carry high quality filters for these cars, so that should easily handle that issue
Old 05-24-2016 | 05:18 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

If your getting into the habit of changing the oil?
Get a few filters on the shelf.
X2 on don't mix brands? Why? Put it in your truck or SUV.
Sell it? Try and exchange it at NAPA, for your correct filter?
Old 05-24-2016 | 05:26 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Per Jake's torque book, 19 on the 997.2 oil filter housing (high in my mind for plastic) and 37 for the drain plug (need to make that crush washer work). But like Bruce, I saw 19 on my magnetic drain plug and used that value for many changes.

And FWIW, I had to remove that magnetic drain plug with a ***** punch after the hex section rounded out the third change after converting to 37 foot pounds. I never saw anything on the magnetic plug anyway. I am back to my original plug and bought a spare for my drawer.
Old 05-24-2016 | 05:30 PM
NYC_997
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Per Jake's torque book, 19 on the 997.2 oil filter housing (high in my mind for plastic) and 37 for the drain plug (need to make that crush washer work). But like Bruce, I saw 19 on my magnetic drain plug and used that value for many changes.

And FWIW, I had to remove that magnetic drain plug with a ***** punch after the hex section rounded out the third change after converting to 37 foot pounds. I never saw anything on the magnetic plug anyway. I am back to my original plug and bought a spare for my drawer.
I never hear anything but issues with those magnetic plugs ... Glad you got it out without too much issue
Old 05-24-2016 | 06:52 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Originally Posted by NYC_997
Personally , i would dump all that oil out and get the correct oil for your car. You can Amazon prime or Walmart mobil1 and have it right away. If you want to spend some more on higher quality oil ... Amazon also carries Motul 5w40 and Mobil 1 5w50 which are both Porsche approved. If you want to keep it as cheap as possible, get some Mobil 1 0w40 for like $21 for 5qt jug Napa does carry high quality filters for these cars, so that should easily handle that issue
They are both Porsche A40 approved. I usually run the pennzoil euro 5w40 and just keep out of the oil discussions. I think it's a great oil and it's cheaper than the Mobil 1 at Walmart when you get the deal. I put in 7.5 quarts of the pennzoil (that's what I had laying around) and am just waiting for the filter. Then I'll check the level and if I need to top it off.

The owners manual says you can top up with any approved oil. Never phased me to use a different brand before. When I topped it off before this oil change I used Mobil 1 0w40 because that's what I had. I didn't do the last change so not sure what was in it before.
Old 05-24-2016 | 08:04 PM
rockhouse66
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Accuracy on this bolt is a low issue as nothing is being screwed or held together. I do use a small torque wrench set to 19, but honestly, you own judgement is fine. IMHO
I don't agree with this at all. First, you have to have enough torque to compress the aluminum washer ("crush" washer). Second, you are screwing into an aluminum casting and the threads can only tolerate so much torque before they begin to fail. So, in my opinion, the torque should be "just right".
Old 05-24-2016 | 08:19 PM
NYC_997
Advanced

Originally Posted by dgjks6
They are both Porsche A40 approved. I usually run the pennzoil euro 5w40 and just keep out of the oil discussions. I think it's a great oil and it's cheaper than the Mobil 1 at Walmart when you get the deal. I put in 7.5 quarts of the pennzoil (that's what I had laying around) and am just waiting for the filter. Then I'll check the level and if I need to top it off.

The owners manual says you can top up with any approved oil. Never phased me to use a different brand before. When I topped it off before this oil change I used Mobil 1 0w40 because that's what I had. I didn't do the last change so not sure what was in it before.
There are plenty of good oils out there ... And plenty of A40 approved ones. I'm all about DIY work and I commend you for doing it , but at the sake of saving , maybe $20 your mixing products that are not designed to work at their fullest together.

If this was my car , that oil would be right out and just use it on another car you own.
Old 05-24-2016 | 08:27 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith

Hum. I tighten my drain plugs german tight. So sometimes there is wee bit of leaking. No biggie. The magnetic plugs in my other cars never took well to being torqued up. So I'll be german tight when I put the new magnetic plug in the pcar.

Quick Reply: oil change failure