Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower dower speakers stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016 | 12:16 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Default Lower dower speakers stopped working

I have sound package plus in my GT3 and all of a sudden the lower door speakers have stopped working. So basically any low range is gone now. I've checked all the connections, the fuses etc and everything is as it should be. Anyone have any ideas what might be happening or what else to check?
Old 05-18-2016 | 12:50 PM
rob0001
Instructor

ASK amp fail and is a common problem. This chap does repair and modify so it will not happen again. He did for me and many others.

http://www.bergvillfx.com/index.php/services.html

From his website:
The Sound Package Plus amplifier (Option code M490) is known to fail, either by no power-on, or by a very loud hiss or rumbling in the bass/woofer door speakers. This amp is made by the italian company ASK.

The faults are caused by several internal design flaws, and we have extensive experience in repairing these amplifiers. The job include changing several internal components as well as modifications to the inner circuits to prevent it from failing again. We offer 5 years warranty on the repair and one-day turn-around time. Porsche part # 99764533101, (997.645.331.01) 99764533200, (997.645.332.00) Cabrio 99764533202 (997.645.332.02) or 98764533101 (987.645.331.01) The amp can also have these ASK production numbers: 7204112002 – 02, 7204110001 – 02, 7204111000 – 12.

- See more at: http://www.bergvillfx.com/index.php/....vwgW5JgA.dpuf
Old 05-18-2016 | 12:50 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

You said both left and right? Are you sure they both stopped working at the same time?

If they both went at the same time, something in the head unit failed, the PCM unit. I don't believe these units have a separate amplifier. Then you are SOL.... contact a dismantler for a new/used unit, or better, go aftermarket with an Alpine unit.... they do sound much better.

If the speakers fried one at a time, usually only one fails, but if it is the speakers, you can test by simply hooking up another speaker to see if it plays. Then you just replace the speakers and I would use the direct replacement, again from a dismantler. For the test, use any old speaker from an old clock radio will do... or jury rig the other speaker in the door. You can use some solid core hook up wire.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 05-18-2016 | 04:18 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
You said both left and right? Are you sure they both stopped working at the same time?

If they both went at the same time, something in the head unit failed, the PCM unit. I don't believe these units have a separate amplifier. Then you are SOL.... contact a dismantler for a new/used unit, or better, go aftermarket with an Alpine unit.... they do sound much better.

If the speakers fried one at a time, usually only one fails, but if it is the speakers, you can test by simply hooking up another speaker to see if it plays. Then you just replace the speakers and I would use the direct replacement, again from a dismantler. For the test, use any old speaker from an old clock radio will do... or jury rig the other speaker in the door. You can use some solid core hook up wire.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Correct both have stopped working at the same time. I don't think it's the PCM head u it though, it sounds like it's the ask amp, as pointed out above. Sound package plus has this amp, as I located it in the front bonnet by the dvd navigation unit.
Old 05-18-2016 | 04:21 PM
Crester
Pro

Both my lower door speakers failed suddenly. The speakers were damaged. Because sometimes things would move and you'd hear them turn on for a bit before cutting out again. The dealer ended up replacing them for me and they've been fine ever since.

Do you usually crank the volume up when listening to the radio?
Old 05-18-2016 | 06:12 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Crester
Both my lower door speakers failed suddenly. The speakers were damaged. Because sometimes things would move and you'd hear them turn on for a bit before cutting out again. The dealer ended up replacing them for me and they've been fine ever since.

Do you usually crank the volume up when listening to the radio?
I would not say I crank the volume up that much. I don't daily this car and honestly haven't driven it much in the last 1.5 years as I was doing an extensive build on it. All I know is when I got the car back out of the shop from some paint work they had stopped working.
Old 05-18-2016 | 10:39 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

first I would call the shop and tell them they were working before you brought it in. You can either have some shop check out the system, or you can get to one of the speakers and disconnect the wires and rig up a 1.5 volt d battery and touch it to the + and - terminals and see if it makes a scratchy pop, if no, then the speaker is out. if it sounds then its amp problems
Old 05-19-2016 | 12:14 AM
Crester
Pro

Originally Posted by bmwtye
I would not say I crank the volume up that much. I don't daily this car and honestly haven't driven it much in the last 1.5 years as I was doing an extensive build on it. All I know is when I got the car back out of the shop from some paint work they had stopped working.
What part of the car did they paint?
Old 05-20-2016 | 07:27 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Crester
What part of the car did they paint?
I installed all PMNA 997.2 gt3 cup body work,
so front and rear bumpers, front fenders and flares, rear deck lid and wing end plates, cup mirrors
Old 07-26-2016 | 05:12 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Just an update, it was the ASK amplifier that went bad. I sent it to Tore (http://www.bergvillfx.com/index.php/services.html) and everything is fixed and working again.

From Tore:
The preinspection test revealed several common faults. I have fixed these, as well as done several modifications to ensure that it won't fail in the future due to other known issues.
The internal power supply polarity protection was damaged as well.
Old 07-26-2016 | 06:38 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by bmwtye
Just an update, it was the ASK amplifier that went bad. I sent it to Tore (http://www.bergvillfx.com/index.php/services.html) and everything is fixed and working again.

From Tore:
The preinspection test revealed several common faults. I have fixed these, as well as done several modifications to ensure that it won't fail in the future due to other known issues.
The internal power supply polarity protection was damaged as well.
Good to know!

Quick Reply: Lower dower speakers stopped working