Sponsored by:

PPI then fly, or fly then PPI

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 02:38 AM
alz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPI then fly, or fly then PPI

So after several months of searching, I'm closing in on my (hopefully) my dream 997.2. Unfortunately it's out at Porsche of Tysons Corner in Vienna, VA, and I'm a long flight away in Seattle, WA.

The question I've got is this - do I ask the dealer to take it to PPI first, and if the PPI turns out well, fly out there to see it? Or other way around? I need to do both before buying, but I figured at about the same $ invested (estimate either $500 for a PPI or a bit more for a flight+hotel), I'd rather do the thing that doesn't cost me any time first... but wondering if there's any pros/cons of switching the order of things around and flying out there first.

One other thing - the dealer sales rep seemed a bit hesitant about taking it out for a PPI; has anyone here ever been refused a PPI by a dealer? (the dealer's right I suppose) - and let's say I do go for a PPI and something happens to the car, whose responsibility is it?

Thanks
Old 05-18-2016, 08:04 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts

With a 997.2 I don't think it matters, but generally PPI first seems to be what people do.

Can you get it CPO'd? And Shipped? Porsche Beachwood by me usually gives free shipping.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:29 AM
WV997S
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 7 Posts

What a cross country trip! We need pis and documentation along the way. Lifetime memory trip for sure. I have no advice on the order of purchase, but for me I would love the heck out of the trip!
Old 05-18-2016, 09:41 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 205 Posts

I would ppi, then fly just in case it's got problems you aren't willing to deal with. Regarding the dealer refusing a ppi... If they do, they either think they can sell it to someone else for less hassle or they know something is wrong with it.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:53 AM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I can't imagine why a Porsche dealership would sell a vehicle without a multi point inspection. Being that they are a Porsche dealership I would assume they can address any if not all discrepancies before the car is put up for sale, especially if its a 911.

Both of the 997s that I saw on their website have clean Carfax reports and both were maintained by reputable Porsche dealerships. I would fly out and see the car in person. I think the risk of getting screwed on this one is very minimal.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:08 AM
Omnigeek
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

If you have a choice, do the PPI then fly to buy. Get the salesman to take tons of pics to satisfy yourself on condition and ask for closeups on things like the key slot, footwell, etc.

FWIW, when I bought mine, the dealer (non-Porsche) was willing to take the car in for a PPI at my expense but the local Porsche dealer said they were not doing PPIs. Apparently their corporate lawyer had determined there was some risk of liability.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:18 AM
SamDaMan
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ask them to get a PPI done first, preferably at Intersport which is right across the street from them. I went through the same process with a dealer in St. Louis. He asked for a refundable deposit/earnest money before taking the car to an indy for the PPI, which was fine by me ($2k on a credit card). You should only make the buying decision after you get the PPI.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:36 AM
adnan76
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

How important do you guys think a PPI is on a late model 997.2? I'm rolling the dice a bit on one I'm looking at from an original owner. Have all the service history, including recent oil change where the P dealer performed a routine inspection. Have a 50 mile test drive planned, and then I just plan to drive it home 12 hours. DME dump is probably the biggest thing I'm missing.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:06 AM
SAN997
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Definitely do the PPI first. If problems come back, this gives you negotiating room. It also prevents you from buying a car with problems, due to the feeling of sunk costs.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:08 AM
SAN997
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by adnan76
How important do you guys think a PPI is on a late model 997.2?.
PPI on 997.2 is just as important as on a 997.1. 99% of what fails are things like alternators, batteries, water pumps, AOS, bushings, bearings, transmissions, power steering system, etc. There is also hidden accident damage, electrical issues and more.

Besides, I don't think PPI even checks for things like bore scoring, and potentially not even IMS issues. You would have to see what is on Porsche's standard check list, and I'm sure they made sure not to put IMS on there.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:14 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 209 Likes on 141 Posts

I went through this two months ago. I put money against the car (refundable).. and then went out to get the car and had a PPI done by a well respected independent Porsche shop. I wanted to be present during the PPI and take the car there myself. And I didn't care to trust the work to anyone besides who I picked. I'd not have left it for a dealer to do.

Having a PPI done is important, in my view.. regardless 997.1 or 997.2. If you have the money to spend to get the car and will go through the effort of selecting the car it seems foolish to leave something like that off.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:20 AM
Resolute1
Advanced

If it's CPO'd I personally would be less concerned about PPI.

That being said, if anyone EVER refuses to let you have a PPI done at your expense - walk away.

As a 997.2 I would be mostly concerned about DME and paint and/or other damage.

Good luck!
Old 05-18-2016, 11:22 AM
alz
Advanced

Thanks for the great tips. Yeah I had intersport in mind for PPI too, after searching through the threads here.

Regarding CPO - dealer mentioned it's not eligible, warranty start date on the one I'm looking at is March 2010. Original warranty would go to March 2014 then, and CPO would take it to March 2016 at most - is that how CPO works, max two years right?
Old 05-18-2016, 11:23 AM
Jaskfri
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts

Do the PPI first. If it flunks you are done or negotiating against the agreed perfect car price. If it passes buy a plane ticket. Maybe a nearby bb member can do a drive by for you.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:23 AM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Be prudent and do you homework. PPI first to see if anything is amiss. Then travel for the possible purchase or a short mini-vacation trip if all else fails.

If it is tolerable based on the report you can wheel-and-deal the price of purchase. I find it hard to believe they will not perform the PPI. Maybe they want you to "pay" for the PPI. Refusing the PPI raises a "Red Flag" to me.

Good luck with your research and hopefully an eventual purchase.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Quick Reply: PPI then fly, or fly then PPI