Sponsored by:

Car died & then got white smoke

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016 | 09:47 AM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
How about a lkq salvage motor. Probably your cheapest option
Buying salvage seems like a crap shoot, how does one really know what they are getting.
Old 05-13-2016 | 09:49 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM
Buying salvage seems like a crap shoot, how does one really know what they are getting.
As I noted, you can know by buying from the right people. Contact your indy, and local PCA chapter and etc etc etc.... let them know you are looking for an engine. Salvage does not mean eBay. Do your homework. People do wreck these things and that does not mean a violent, roll over, flame laden, screaming death. It may simply be a car like yours, aka old, whacked hard in a parking lot and insurance totals it. So you wait a while.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 05-13-2016 | 10:35 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

ZX9RCAM- good for you for supporting your stepdaughter and kids. That is a drag, but health and family is more important.
Shame about your car. It's not worth much now. Mothball it for a time. Keep your eyes open for the correct motor. I'm assuming your not carless. You overpay when you desperate to find, patience will yield you the right option.
Old 05-13-2016 | 10:37 AM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Here are couple options. Not sure if the one at Wicked is still available.

http://www.wickedmotorworks.com/part...p?partid=10106

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/porsche-996-engine
Old 05-13-2016 | 10:58 AM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

I sure appreciate all the suggestions, trying to keep the positive attitude. I had always felt I would be driving this car past 200K.
It was not my daily driver, so that is not a problem.
Not ready to let it go, just need to find a place to keep it. My driveway has a steep incline and I don't know that I can get it in my garage without it running, lol.
Old 05-13-2016 | 11:36 AM
nk215
Instructor

A tow hook and a winch? A bunch of friends (or hired labors (contact your landscaper).

If nothing works, you can mount the winch on your garage floor with concrete anchors. That will pull the car into its bay no problem.

If you have access to a jeep wrangler then you can pull your car next to the garage (The old jeep wrangler can go in one garage bay, turns around and goes out the other) then push it in the rest if the way.

Take the bumper off and build something that can attach to the metal part (hockey pucks in between) and push the 911 up with another vehicle.
Old 05-13-2016 | 11:41 AM
jchapura
Rennlist Member

I sure appreciate all the suggestions, trying to keep the positive attitude. I had always felt I would be driving this car past 200K.
It was not my daily driver, so that is not a problem.
Not ready to let it go, just need to find a place to keep it. My driveway has a steep incline and I don't know that I can get it in my garage without it running, lol.
(Owe me coke. nk........)

Not knowing the configuration of your driveway... If your building or something else was sturdy (drilled hole in concrete with properly set steel bar...), you may be able to winch it in with a come-along. Just be sure to incrementally move the wheel chocks as the car moves forward.
Old 05-13-2016 | 11:52 AM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Most likely way will be several friends to help push.
Biggest problem is timing their arrival with the wreckers.
The driveway is off the side of the house, and no way to leave it on the street for any length of time.

There is another engine
vendor on the forum that quite conspicuously has not been suggested. I have not heard anything good or bad about them yet.
Maybe I missed comments on them in my time here.
Old 05-13-2016 | 02:34 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

There is another engine
vendor on the forum that quite conspicuously has not been suggested. I have not heard anything good or bad about them yet.
Maybe I missed comments on them in my time here.
If it begins with an M and then a B its for good reason. Proceed with that one with a whole lot of caution.
Old 05-13-2016 | 02:50 PM
Iceter
Drifting

I may have missed something but if the car is coming home on a rollback, why can't the driver just drop it off right in your garage?
Old 05-13-2016 | 03:39 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

That's a shame, Pete.

Originally Posted by Iceter
I may have missed something but if the car is coming home on a rollback, why can't the driver just drop it off right in your garage?
This all happened last Sunday, I had it taken to my mechanic & dropped off.
Old 05-14-2016 | 12:19 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

As a former 996 owner, I hate to see their values plummet like they have. With that said, It doesnt make sense to rebuild or put in a factory motor. By the time you are finished you will have sunk big money into a $19,000 car.

I would go the used/salvage route with some sort of compression testing or Renegade Hybrids out of Nevada. Renegade has a 996 kit for about $7k plus the cost of the motor. They have been putting Chevy motors into Porches for 25+ years. A crate LS3 puts out 420+HP More than enough to be happy. Or get a used low mile LS1 from a Corvette.

http://www.renegadehybrids.com/

Blasphemous I know.
Old 05-14-2016 | 01:33 PM
Wasserkühlung
Rennlist Member

Sorry for your unfortunate events. Looks like you got a lot of enjoyment out of it though. I would just sell it as a roller (last one we sold that had a D-chunk brought $10k on ebay) We have found it beneficial to sell it as a roller and find another car. We have a 2001 that just showed up with a blown head gasket. We will be selling it as a roller and locating another car for the client. Too many variables trying to install a salvage motor or rebuilding on 996's. Whatever the case I wish you the best of luck.
Casey
Old 06-12-2016 | 12:45 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

To put this thread to rest, my car was picked up by a transport after being sold on eBay a few weeks ago.
Ending price of $6400.
Sad ending to a fantastic 11 year relationship.
Thanks for all the suggestions and responses.
Old 06-12-2016 | 01:27 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Sorry to hear that but on the bright side you got a really good deal out of it for $6,400.

Quick Reply: Car died & then got white smoke